Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #901 of 5,804
Does Sony have a single-ended cable upgrade?  I thought the only Sony-made "upgrade" is the already supplied balanced cable.  Apparently I'm wrong...  I'd be willing to buy a cable upgrade, assuming it's not "stupidly" priced....guess I need to actually make an effort and find out if there is one.  I thought we only have third-party cable makers upon whom to rely, something I really don't want to do.

EDIT:  So I found this >>>  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080981-REG/sony_mucm12sm1_muc_m125m1_high_performance_portable_audio.html
I assume this is a Kimber cable, and not the same thing as the stock cable...  The earpiece-side connector is different (it has ridges).

When you say supplied balanced cable, are you referring to the one with an inline-mic?

Sony sells the MUCM12SM1 cable as a official "upgrade cable", the much-talked about KimberKable option discussed here.

The A2, A3 & Z5 all come with a semi-flat oxygen free copper cable that is bi-tone (amaranth red and black) and terminates in a right-angled gold-plated TRS connector. There's a supplied and included (in the carrying pouch for me) additional cable with an inline-microphone that again, terminates in a right-angled gold-plated 3.5mm connector, but with an additional ring for the mic. That's intended for smartphone users presumably.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #902 of 5,804

Does Sony have a single-ended cable upgrade?  I thought the only Sony-made "upgrade" is the already supplied balanced cable.  Apparently I'm wrong...  I'd be willing to buy a cable upgrade, assuming it's not "stupidly" priced....guess I need to actually make an effort and find out if there is one.  I thought we only have third-party cable makers upon whom to rely, something I really don't want to do.

EDIT:  So I found this >>>  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080981-REG/sony_mucm12sm1_muc_m125m1_high_performance_portable_audio.html
I assume this is a Kimber cable, and not the same thing as the stock cable...  The earpiece-side connector is different (it has ridges).

When you say supplied balanced cable, are you referring to the one with an inline-mic?

Sony sells the MUCM12SM1 cable as a official "upgrade cable", the much-talked about KimberKable option discussed here.

The A2, A3 & Z5 all come with a semi-flat oxygen free copper cable that is bi-tone (amaranth red and black) and terminates in a right-angled gold-plated TRS connector. There's a supplied and included (in the carrying pouch for me) additional cable with an inline-microphone that again, terminates in a right-angled gold-plated 3.5mm connector, but with an additional ring for the mic. That's intended for smartphone users presumably.

My Z5 didn't come w/ a cable for smartphones w/ an inline mic; the supplied 2nd cable is Sony's balanced cable (for use w/ their PHA-3).  If the cable I linked to is Sony's single-ended "upgrade" cable, then I might actually buy it, though $110 for that seems excessive (buy hey, we're talking cables here, so IMO, there's no such thing as "reasonably-priced", LOL).  I figure if I went to a cable vendor, with good build quality, it'd cost me more than that anyway.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #903 of 5,804
There are in fact 2 upgrades: for portable use with the MUC-M12SM1 (can't order anywhere in Europe and not even on ebay btw...) but also an upgrade for the balanced cable (MUC-M20BL1 : http://store.sony.com/high-performance-balanced-audio-cable-for-xba-z5-zid27-MUCM20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables).

If the upgrade is as good as for the Z7, I'll probably pick the MUC-M12SM1

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #904 of 5,804
I don't have the A3 nor the Z5 but well no offense guys, take it light

XBA-H3 DO S-U-C-K, i have them "collecting dust"

Simply Grab ABQ's rendition of Beethoven's complete String quartets on label EMI (ABQ == "Alban Berg Quartett")

MDR-1R render those with "Natural bass", i meant by natural bass this kind of bass you ehar while seated on the theathre on a live performance of a classical recital, e.g Real-life, life-like bass, not emphasized

XBA-H3 ufff *vomit* boomy bass, like i've switched Megas bass, super bass or what ever stuff you want to call to bass-bosst effects, and they make the high and mids sound hollow, reverb fades away. i don't want to say tinny sound because that's another type.

Like if they were sounding in a PA system on an airport/ or tube station

this using a walkman NWZ-A17 intended for Mexico (intl version), no eruo-volume-cap, all effects OFF (want to EQ them to tame this bass from hell)

How would you compare (preferrably if you have an A10 Walkman) the Z5 or the A3 (forget A2 and A1)?

The ONLYTHING I HAVE NOTED THAT DRIVES THE XBA-H3 WELL IS A Fiio x3 and a VAIO flip 14

saving money to buy an amplfier, the Oppo HA-2

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #906 of 5,804

Yeah that's the one.

In South Korea, they're running a promotion where they give you that cable for free with the purchase of a Z5. I was just curious of people's impressions with it. Interesting that it's virtually an unknown factor on this thread...

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #907 of 5,804
Just received the PHA-3. A17 to PHA-3 (USB) to Z5 via the Sony upgrade balanced cable is a very good combo. Next week, I'll try with the Z7 via standard balanced cable. Kimber balanced cable for the Z7 is backordered.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #909 of 5,804
so guys you consider the XBA-H3 to be the worst IEM sony has made? in sense of neutrality no emphasis in any freq.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #910 of 5,804
I certainly prefer the Z5 over the H3. But I think your question would be better discussed in the H3 thread. But I personally don't think the H3 is Sony's worst IEM.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #911 of 5,804
I certainly prefer the Z5 over the H3. But I think your question would be better discussed in the H3 thread. But I personally don't think the H3 is Sony's worst IEM.

have a question for you dweaver, i read the trade for sale forums rules and they mention Paypal... can i use a traveler's cheque instead? well i don't want to be deposited directly to my account as in mexico the authorities now have the eyes on foreign transactions in the bank accounts

EDIT More properly would asked as what options for deposit are available here on HF?

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #912 of 5,804
which of the IEMS are a closer match to the MDR-1R sound signature? XBA-Z5, A3, A2 or A1? infact using my mdr-1r to enjoy beethoven's 9th symphony under Karajan's baton WOW O_o so neutral and beautiful rich 3D soundstage so enveloping into the music

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #913 of 5,804
  which of the IEMS are a closer match to the MDR-1R sound signature? XBA-Z5, A3, A2 or A1? infact using my mdr-1r to enjoy beethoven's 9th symphony under Karajan's baton WOW O_o so neutral and beautiful rich 3D soundstage so enveloping into the music

Not Z5 or A3. 1R has a rather warm and dark signature. Z5 and A3 are both slightly V shaped.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #914 of 5,804
Not Z5 or A3. 1R has a rather warm and dark signature. Z5 and A3 are both slightly V shaped.

so what about the other two A2 and A1 or those are worser in bass bump? for me the 1R are yes warm but not bassy (if you refer as dark as having bass levels like the H3) rather i find them perfect bass and well balanced with other frequencies, at first i hated the 1R LOL now  i love them (seem to have improved with burn-in)

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #915 of 5,804
have a question for you dweaver, i read the trade for sale forums rules and they mention Paypal... can i use a traveler's cheque instead? well i don't want to be deposited directly to my account as in mexico the authorities now have the eyes on foreign transactions in the bank accounts

EDIT More properly would asked as what options for deposit are available here on HF?
Sorry I am not sure about this type of stuff. You should ask a moderator possibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back