Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #4,441 of 5,804
Probably safer for you to try "Snug" as it does not affect the overall design and positioning of the drivers within the Z5. Just not sure if they can create one for the Z5:
https://snugs.com/

Some of the models that they have done:
https://snugs.com/compatible-earphones/

only-white.png

Thanks for that, I actually mainly use them at home but it seems an application ( like you have pointed out) could maybe get the Z5 to stay in place better. Somehow a way to get them from simply hanging out from the middle of your ear! Lol.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,442 of 5,804
II also struggle to get the z5 to stay in place after a some time, pwrgapdpearwax breaks the seal between the canal and the ear tip

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,443 of 5,804
I'm getting a great fit with the included Sony hybrid tips, but if you think about it, after you change cables, if your not using over ear guides, it's the tip's job to support the IEM.

That was what I think was the goal with the included cables. They were thought to be thick and supportive holding the driver out from the center of your ear. The issue was they would fold over and create an issue to be counterproductive to their original design. The cables would actually throw the IEM out of place.

It's going to be interesting to hear about folk's after-market cable serarios. I'm about 90% happy the way things are, but this hobby is about the last 10%.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4,444 of 5,804
Before selling off my Z5, the best cable I think (not really a cable-affect-sound person) is the Sony's own upgrade cable (not the over-priced Kimber Kable) MUC-M12SM1. I had reterminated it to 3.5mm TRRS and 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug as well to try out balanced for my Z5.

This is one of the best made cable with totally zero microphonics, super comfortable and don't have the memory wire inbuilt (which is much easier to wear over the ears), and the thickness is just right.

I was so happy with it that I bought the new version (MUC-M12SM2 which is with a more generic MMCX and not the Sony type with locking notch) for my SE846.

Many users probably has vouched for it as well for the improvement in sound quality and it is one of the best upgrade for Z5. It will not cost you an arm or a leg, and much better built than those after-market cables costing at least 2x-3x more (including Sony's own Kimber Kable series).

20151016222725.jpeg

I'm getting a great fit with the included Sony hybrid tips, but if you think about it, after you change cables, if your not using over ear guides, it's the tip's job to support the IEM.

That was what I think was the goal with the included cables. They were thought to be thick and supportive holding the driver out from the center of your ear. The issue was they would fold over and create an issue to be counterproductive to their original design. The cables would actually throw the IEM out of place.

It's going to be interesting to hear about folk's after-market cable serarios. I'm about 90% happy the way things are, but this hobby is about the last 10%.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #4,448 of 5,804
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/180301/?s_pid=jp_top_201803_feature_feajrny_heajrny

Sony's custom models - scroll down for pricing. ¥250000 - hopefully they'll come out with a Z5 successor with a design closer to these.
I purchased a 3.5mm jack and WM-port cap for my ZX300 at a Sony store when I was in Japan, I was standing by the ciem display cabinet while I was waiting to pay ¥160 for my tiny rubber caps, probably the cheapest purchase in the history of the store.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #4,449 of 5,804
DSC_0155.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,450 of 5,804
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/180301/?s_pid=jp_top_201803_feature_feajrny_heajrny

Sony's custom models - scroll down for pricing. ¥250000 - hopefully they'll come out with a Z5 successor with a design closer to these.
I purchased a 3.5mm jack and WM-port cap for my ZX300 at a Sony store when I was in Japan, I was standing by the ciem display cabinet while I was waiting to pay ¥160 for my tiny rubber caps, probably the cheapest purchase in the history of the store.
You still wearing it over ear with the Sony cable?

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #4,451 of 5,804
Is there a kimber cable that could be used with my Samsung s7 or pha-3?

I have the MUC-M12SM2 cable and not using it over the ear, wrong or right I don't know :)

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #4,452 of 5,804
Z5 is a very smart design considering it was released in 2014. I love it so much I own two pairs, one with Kimber 4.4mm balanced cable and one with stock 3.5mm cable.
Same here. One with 4.4 Kimberkable and other with 3.5 quad star. Total Awesomeness!!!

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #4,453 of 5,804
The Care Center looks like the Dr’s office!
AA03A556-291B-4D39-BC52-3836631079E6.png

Yes, I have seen those on various show reports. Big tables with displays showing how ears are measured and the Sony CIEMs produced. It would be cool to test them, but it looks like you basicly have to simply order them and hope for the best. I also vaguely remember something about a choice of sound signatures for them........but I could have been dreaming? Just spent a day with the Z5s........thinking they are the best sounding IEMs on earth.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #4,454 of 5,804
Yep, they are the best sounding IEMs in the entire universe.... as least it is true for everyone in this XBA-Z5 thread.

Haha..... just enjoy and don't look elsewhere.....

The Care Center looks like the Dr’s office!

Yes, I have seen those on various show reports. Big tables with displays showing how ears are measured and the Sony CIEMs produced. It would be cool to test them, but it looks like you basicly have to simply order them and hope for the best. I also vaguely remember something about a choice of sound signatures for them........but I could have been dreaming? Just spent a day with the Z5s........thinking they are the best sounding IEMs on earth.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,455 of 5,804
You still wearing it over ear with the Sony cable?
Yes, actually I'm still using A3 with the MUC-M12NB1, but wearing it over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back