Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 7, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 5,804
Newbie question, what are Litz cables???? i know OFC is oxygen-free copper... perhaps the copper is vacummed and the cable hot plastic injected in the copper wires during vacuum?

I see on sony specs that they say OFC-Litz.... i think also says so on the XBA-H3 user manual

EDIT: REading the manual of my XBA-H3's it says both cables are OFC-Litz, and the supertweeter diaphragm is made of aluminum

A quick google search (since I was interested too):
The term litz wire is derived from the German word litzendraht meaning woven wire. Generally defined, it is a wire constructed of individually film insulated wires bunched or braided together in a uniform pattern of twists and length of lays.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 5,804
I've always been intrigued with Sony's dynamic drivers.  It's not like many I see that's out there.  The driver is large in diameter and it's disk shape is not facing the outlet.  Usually I see dynamics like the ie800s with back area with vent and etc..  I hope it's like the EX1000 with better bass and treble response.  I thought EX1000 could be improved with better isolation, and I'm hoping isolation is much improved.  

Fit is awkward though like TF10

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #20 of 5,804

1. High-Resolution Audio HD Hybrid 3-way driver system deliver spacious, wideband audio from 3 - 40,000Hz
  2. Linear drive Balanced Armature driver
  3. Magnesium HD super tweeter
  4. 16mm Aluminum-coated Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm dynamic driver

Balanced armature with Magnesium ?

Yup. It's been mentioned in the video you can find in the OP.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #24 of 5,804
  is there a release date?

mmm I don't know really for sure... at least they don't show-up in sony Mexico, tought they have announced the MDR-1A and the MDR-1DAC on their facebook, as well the NWZ-A17 (drooling over the walkman
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 5,804
I'll be keenly watching the developments on this one....

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 5,804
This looks kickass but the price is just to much for me. I will wait and see how the reviews go and try to snag a used pair if they are good.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 5,804
I actually dreamt I was listening to the Z5 last night. It had the most deep, realistic and punchy bass I'd ever heard in an IEM, layered and richly detailed without being at all harsh, full and lifelike mids/vocals with the appropriate placement, and of course a huge soundstage with the best delineation of instruments within it that I'd ever heard.

Hopefully that's what we'll get!  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back