Sony's MDR-V6... or another closed headphone for just pleasure listening??? (around $100 ± 20 price)
Jun 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kennethac

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post at this forum. Hope I do it right haha.

I've been doing research for a really long period, like since the second half of 2011, looking for the perfect headphones for me. At a beginning i found the Grado's SR60 and they seemed perfect because they were told to be recommended for rock music, until i realized they were open-ended, so i couldn't take them out because of all the noise coming in/out. 

Later doing some more research found the Sony's MDR-V6, and almost all reviews about them say sort of things like they're God's favorite headphones, and that stuff. And the under $100 price is like music to my ears. But they also say they're really technical and analytical headphones, also that they bleed... The truth is that I don't really understand much about this technical jargon so it makes me think this headphones are not actually what I'm looking for, since they seem to be for very specific uses (as the box says, STUDIO HEADPHONES). It confuses me because almost all reviews say good things about them, even for casual listening, my only real purpose for them.

As i said before, my music strength is classic rock (Like Led Zeppelin and stuff), different kinds of Metal, progressive, a lot of jazz...

I'd love to have good piece of advices about what would be those headphones I'm looking for. It's really really important to me to be sure because I live outside the States, in Costa Rica, Central America, so if i bought this headphones or another ones, it'd be almost impossible to return them and get my money back, and if you add the sending cost through Fedex or whatever company is avaiable, I'll end paying almost $150 for the whole thing, maybe more.

As the title says, hope they're closed headphones so i can take them out while commuting.

PD: sorry for my probably bad english

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I think the V6's would be a good choice for you.

They are a little analytical sounding, but I find that it's not nearly as big an issue with rock and metal music as it is with classical and the like. They'd probably be my go-to phone in the sub-$100 price range for rock, in fact.

They isolate well too, but for commuting you might find they have too long of a cable. It's pretty long, but it's also coiled, so it's tough to stick in your pocket or something. Though if you feel this is something that wouldn't bother you that much, they should fit all your criteria quite well.

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 7
Jun 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 7
The Shure SRH440 work well with those genre's. However be sure to swap out the default pads for something else. I do not know how they will affect sound quality but the Shure is a fantastic (albeit analytical) headphone for the price and the only con of it is the comfort. Everything else is pretty good.

And be sure to have good tracks. A pro AND con of the headphone again is how analytical it is. It will spit out and make you cringe at any song that has bad recording or crappy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back