Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Sep 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #122 of 601
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #124 of 601
She's a beauty! :drool:
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #125 of 601
As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, Sony does seem to be getting serious about audiophile content.  On the 17th of this month, they are opening their `High Reso` music download site:  

http://mora.jp/etc/highreso?fmid=TOPCLPPP01

I`ve already set up my account.  Unfortunately I`m not seeing any support for Mac OS....   
I`m also really interested to see how the content security is handled, and compatibility with devices other than the 4 new `High Reso` walkmans coming in December.  

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #126 of 601
300 Gb of storage in the pocket ?? What is your setup ??

DX-50 with 68 Gb Micro SD and 2 128 Gb USB flashdrives. Sounds excellent with hi-rez files and AKG K-3003 phones.

Kevin

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #127 of 601
I have been following this topic with interest since I own a PHA-1.  At the time I believe I would not upgrade to the new model just for the DSD capability. The PHA-1 combined with a Sony Xperia Z puts out some serious quality audio. I doubt Sony has any other serious mods on the new model so for now my unit remains a keeper. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #128 of 601
I have been following this topic with interest since I own a PHA-1.  At the time I believe I would not upgrade to the new model just for the DSD capability. The PHA-1 combined with a Sony Xperia Z puts out some serious quality audio. I doubt Sony has any other serious mods on the new model so for now my unit remains a keeper. 

Do not know about the amp section, but the DAC is definitely different. It is a TI now and not a Wolfson anymore.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #129 of 601
Do not know about the amp section, but the DAC is definitely different. It is a TI now and not a Wolfson anymore.

I have a feeling that Sony is going the VentureCraft SDT route with a TI DAC for the DSD conversions.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #130 of 601
I have a feeling that Sony is going the VentureCraft SDT route with a TI DAC for the DSD conversions.

It is quite similar. Though I believe that the VentureCraft has a newer DAC generation, while the PHA2 has one that is already available for some time.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #131 of 601

Interesting to know. I guess change was done more to be able to do DSD rather than sonic qualities as the Wolfson does such a good job in the little box.
If the improvement is not of galactic proportions I´m fine with mine. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #132 of 601

Interesting to know. I guess change was done more to be able to do DSD rather than sonic qualities as the Wolfson does such a good job in the little box.
If the improvement is not of galactic proportions I´m fine with mine. 

Sadly I cannot comment on the SQ, since I never heard the PHA1-1. I was pretty much about to buy the PHA-1 and then the PHA-2 was announced... I decided to wait :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #133 of 601

Sadly I cannot comment on the SQ, since I never heard the PHA1-1. I was pretty much about to buy the PHA-1 and then the PHA-2 was announced... I decided to wait :)

on the other hand tho... the prices of the PHA-1 seemed to have dropped cuz of the news of the release of the PHA-2. i got mine recently at the lowest price ive ever seen them go for o.o

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #134 of 601
on the other hand tho... the prices of the PHA-1 seemed to have dropped cuz of the news of the release of the PHA-2. i got mine recently at the lowest price ive ever seen them go for o.o
Do share with us what is this low price?

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #135 of 601

Hmm, I just cannot do this. I really would like to hear this magical DSD stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back