Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #346 of 601

Yes, I regret not looking into that point when that page with detailed specs was still available.  I have no idea what the output impedance is for the PHA-2.  

I don't even know for sure if output impedance was included in that table of specs from which I only quoted output power.

Today, I've looked for specs, but like you, can't find anything on output impedance.

Mike

Yeah, I'm also hoping that anyone who've bought the PHA-2 can chime in. 
Obviously, being usb-powered means it's not going to do well with hard-to-drive headphones. 
But if the OI is not suited to drive IEMs, I'm just curious what this dac/amp is targetting towards.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #347 of 601
  Thanks for the link zilch0md. 

So, what I get from that post, is that the PHA-2 is weak for headphones like the LCD-2 but it doesn't really say if its output impedance is suitable for sensitive IEMs? 

It's fine with the sensitive IE846. Noise floor is essentially black (unlike on the ZX1 where it's very noticeable) in normal gain mode. Minimum on the volume knob is at 8 o'clock, I wouldn't go beyond 11 o'clock with the IE846 on a normal recording.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #348 of 601
  I was looking at the Apex Glacier and ALO Pan Am but the Glacier seems to have generally a bright signature (i love warm sigs) 
And the Pan Am was out of the question coz it needs separate power supply. 

Do you know any other dac/amps that are usb-powered? 

Thanks!

Funny. I don't see the Apex as being a bright amp. Compared to the PHA-2, the Glacier seems to be warmer & fuller (this will be related to the response below).

Yes, I regret not looking into that point when that page with detailed specs was still available.  I have no idea what the output impedance is for the PHA-2.  

I don't even know for sure if output impedance was included in that table of specs from which I only quoted output power.

Today, I've looked for specs, but like you, can't find anything on output impedance.

Mike

I don't believe Sony discloses Zout specs. I did some comparisons between my Glacier & the PHA-2 a few weeks back. Solely based on listening only, I'm of the opinion that there is still a higher Zout than the Glacier & AK120. Also I've owned the VentureCraft modded Go-DAPs with ZOut of 10 ohm for a few years and to me the PHA-2 seems to sound the same (in terms of bass rolloff, etc.).

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #351 of 601
Really getting excited about this amp/dac. Thinking about biting the bullet and buying from Japan. Anyone around here do this and can you share your experiences?

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #352 of 601
Jan 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #353 of 601
Really getting excited about this amp/dac. Thinking about biting the bullet and buying from Japan. Anyone around here do this and can you share your experiences?

I imported from Japan to UK without any problems, use Price-Japan but ask about Customs first & agree amount... delivery is Tracked by EMS or FedEx (you chose courier), EMS takes 2-Days longer.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #354 of 601

Just ordered one from a Japanese seller on amazon.  Picked expedited shipping and should get here next week!  Super stoked!  I'm planning on this being the centerpiece of my bedside iPod/iPad system.  Mainly for music but also for the occasional movie or tv show I want with great sound.  Will be using it with Westone W4's, Sennheiser HD700's and 600's, and B&W P5's when my wife is asleep, lol.  Also looking forward to utilizing its DSD capability in the future.  I'll definitely post after I get it and have some time to test it out.  

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #356 of 601
Here are the comparison between Sony Stag vs ALO + Cypher Labs Class -DB 2.00 VRms

Set up A:
Source : Sony WM ZX 1
Dac / Amp : Sony PHA 2
Cable : Sony Hi Res stock

Set up B:
Source : IPhone 4s
Dac : Cypherlabs Class - DB 2.00 VRms
Amp : ALO Rx 3 B
Cable : lod to mini USB Moon Audio silver Dragon V1
Mini to mini diy

Set up A and B:
Headphone : LCD 3
Cable : SAA 4 PIN balance cable + 4 PIN balance female to mini oyaide

Set Up A :
High : less sparkle than set up B
Mid : natural and neutral midrange , less clarity than set up B
Bass : very good impact bad bass detail , set up B bass Is fuller and more weight and faster more lively
Separation : very good that we can detect the position from the instrument very clear
Set B has slightly better separation
Soundstage : wide and depth are very good ,set up B has wider and deeper

Power wise :
Set up B has bigger / more power than set up A
The power from set up A is on par with set up B in MID gain

The winner is set up B
Overall SQ : more clarity more transparent , better and clear and clean midrange , Bette bass impact and more weight and better Bass speed

IMO

Set Up A

Do you happen to have a picture of the ZX1 straped to the PHA-2 without the padding?  I am interested in seeing how the bump on the back affects the fit between the 2 devices.  Can anyone explain why Sony thought this bump was acceptable!?!  Such a great-looking player otherwise!    

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #358 of 601
  bigger battery which you'll need using Hi-Res... you get a small bar with the ZX1 which is used when 'stacking' with an amp... same depth as that cute ass.

They should have made a battery that was thinner, but that extended the whole length of the player.  It's like they tried to take credit for making a thinner player than they actually did by moving the battery to a chunk on the bottom.   

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #359 of 601
Do you happen to have a picture of the ZX1 straped to the PHA-2 without the padding?  I am interested in seeing how the bump on the back affects the fit between the 2 devices.  Can anyone explain why Sony thought this bump was acceptable!?!  Such a great-looking player otherwise!    

Here is The picture Without wraping on Sony PHA 2 and WM ZX 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back