Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Dec 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #331 of 601
+1!

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #332 of 601
I did a search here and either I didn't read carefully but I don't recall seeing any real life results of the battery life of PHA-2's. Are they as short as the PHA-1's or has Sony increased the operational life of the PHA-2 per charge?

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #334 of 601
  Anak... think I was getting about 18-20hrs out of a charge using RB-lossless but can't say for certain.... think it's about 10-12hrs using Hi-Res.

On the PHA-2!?!? 2 digit hours? That's a vast improvement. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #337 of 601
for the main Sony F887 & PHA-2 (headphone amp) & PC & PHA-2 (DAC/Amp)... both mainly with Kef M500's.

I was using as a mixture on a single charge over several days (Atrac & WAV files)... I never tested with Hi-Res files as I only own one.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #340 of 601
  That boils down to, are you planning to use it with your iDevice as well?

Not necessary to use with an iDevice. 
I'm looking primary to get an external dac/amp to compliment the Schiit Lyr + LCD-2.2 setup on my desktop since Lyr isn't a good candidate to drive iems. 

PHA-2 looks small enough to be transportable which is a bonus, but im more interested if it is solely usb powered

I was looking at the Apex Glacier and ALO Pan Am but the Glacier seems to have generally a bright signature (i love warm sigs) 
And the Pan Am was out of the question coz it needs separate power supply. 

Was looking at the RSA Predator as well, but that too needs a separate power supply. 

Do you know any other dac/amps that are usb-powered? 

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #341 of 601
  Not necessary to use with an iDevice. 
I'm looking primary to get an external dac/amp to compliment the Schiit Lyr + LCD-2.2 setup on my desktop since Lyr isn't a good candidate to drive iems. 

PHA-2 looks small enough to be transportable which is a bonus, but im more interested if it is solely usb powered

I was looking at the Apex Glacier and ALO Pan Am but the Glacier seems to have generally a bright signature (i love warm sigs) 
And the Pan Am was out of the question coz it needs separate power supply. 

Was looking at the RSA Predator as well, but that too needs a separate power supply. 

Do you know any other dac/amps that are usb-powered? 

Thanks!

I am not sure if Sony has decided to lower their PHA output impedance, but the first version's output impedance may be way too high for IEM. There's the E17 worth looking into or Leckerton amps/DAC

Billson 

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #343 of 601
Interesting. Thanks for pointing out the Impedance issue.
Hope to see someone get their hands on one to review.
I see the PHA-1 had 10ohms, cant really find the OI specs of the PHA-2.

The link I quoted in this earlier post used to work, and it provided very detailed specs, but Sony seems to have taken that page down:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/240#post_9949418

Mike

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #344 of 601

The link I quoted in this earlier post used to work, and it provided very detailed specs, but Sony seems to have taken that page down:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/240#post_9949418

Mike

Thanks for the link zilch0md. 

So, what I get from that post, is that the PHA-2 is weak for headphones like the LCD-2 but it doesn't really say if its output impedance is suitable for sensitive IEMs? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #345 of 601
  Thanks for the link zilch0md. 

What I get from that post is that the PHA-2 is weak for headphones like the LCD-2 but it doesn't really say if its output impedance is suitable for sensitive IEMs? 

Yes, I regret not looking into that point when that page with detailed specs was still available.  I have no idea what the output impedance is for the PHA-2.  

I don't even know for sure if output impedance was included in that table of specs from which I only quoted output power.

Today, I've looked for specs, but like you, can't find anything on output impedance.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back