Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #7,846 of 9,609
Seems like there is nothing new in the audiophile department from Sony at CES 2022
Not sure if it is in priority portfolio of Sony

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #7,849 of 9,609
Over the past two years I feel like I have seen it being out of stock more than available, in NL and other European countries.. So shortages are fairly normal for this headphone it seems. In Europe, at least.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #7,850 of 9,609
Seems like there is nothing new in the audiophile department from Sony at CES 2022
It seems that ‘audiophile’ electronics, as a category, have been a smaller part of the CES as a whole.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #7,852 of 9,609
Over the past two years I feel like I have seen it being out of stock more then available, in NL and other European countries.. So shortages are fairly normal for this headphone it seems. In Europe, at least.
When I collect the money for them, I plan to ask to Sony Spain about availability in Spain (or somewhere near). I have only seen in Austria or around there.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #7,853 of 9,609
Probably shortages are more likely covid related. These are artisan hand built not conveyor belt robot built so factory shut downs/ illness would have played a part, plus initial purchasing after release have now plateaued to a slow trickle

I think rather they've finally realised that CES is not a place for audiophile marketing.
CES is a tech trade show dominated by reporters who complains about 300 dollar wireless headphones being too expensive. That's not the type of show where you want to show off audiophile products. They do better with smaller but more suitable events, and it cost them less money to boot.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #7,854 of 9,609
Does this headphones technical ability exceed something like the verite? I am looking for a replacement or something to keep along side the Elegia, I am guessing it's detail/resolution would be better than that also... the Z1R sure does keep it's price high even second hand

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #7,855 of 9,609
Does this headphones technical ability exceed something like the verite? I am looking for a replacement or something to keep along side the Elegia, I am guessing it's detail/resolution would be better than that also... the Z1R sure does keep it's price high even second hand
I have both and I like the tonality/timbre and technicalities of ZMF more then that of Z1R. But Z1R is easier to drive and matches better with portable or low Output impedance amp and is lighter to use. I use ZMF only with desktop or higher output impedance amp.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #7,856 of 9,609
I have both and I like the tonality/timbre and technicalities of ZMF more then that of Z1R. But Z1R is easier to drive and matches better with portable or low Output impedance amp and is lighter to use. I use ZMF only with desktop or higher output impedance amp.
man that makes me lean toward the Verite since a used one isn't much more expensive than a new Z1R and it would come with a lifetime warranty... I need to brush up on the sonic differences of it's different woods. How is the bass response? is one maybe unredeemably better than the other? like planar level advantage(I know they are not though)... Honestly hard for me to find a recommend for closed backs, and it's stuck in my head the Z1R is like TOTL from watching Joshua Valour's videos, I have given up hope of finding something outstanding around $1k and just want some soundstage, technical performance and amazing bass.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #7,857 of 9,609
I would say it's just different. And the warranty doesn't transfer so you wouldn't get a lifetime warranty.

Both headphones are just different flavors, great technicalities. You really need to listen to both and decide which flavor is for you. Great thing about ZMF is if you don't like it, resell value is generally very good. Z1R are polarizing and used resale is not great (I bought mine almost new, for a crazy good discount).

I've also owned 2 VC's as well, and I will probably own them again on the next epoxy / stab run

I can tell you at least the wood makes minimal to no difference in sound. and I would consider Z1R TOTL if it's sound is agreeable to you.

Like I said above, I bought Z1R used, and I was going to just resell it and just go back all in on a used stab / epoxy VC but I tried them out and the comfort was out of this world, and the sound was excellent to my ears. I could not say it is better or worse than a VC just different. I do find the bass, and comfort key things that are better than the VC. Z1R has the best bass I have personally heard in a headphone though.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #7,858 of 9,609
I would say it's just different. And the warranty doesn't transfer so you wouldn't get a lifetime warranty.

Both headphones are just different flavors, great technicalities. You really need to listen to both and decide which flavor is for you. Great thing about ZMF is if you don't like it, resell value is generally very good. Z1R are polarizing and used resale is not great (I bought mine almost new, for a crazy good discount).

I've also owned 2 VC's as well, and I will probably own them again on the next epoxy / stab run

I can tell you at least the wood makes minimal to no difference in sound. and I would consider Z1R TOTL if it's sound is agreeable to you.

Like I said above, I bought Z1R used, and I was going to just resell it and just go back all in on a used stab / epoxy VC but I tried them out and the comfort was out of this world, and the sound was excellent to my ears. I could not say it is better or worse than a VC just different. I do find the bass, and comfort key things that are better than the VC. Z1R has the best bass I have personally heard in a headphone though.
Thank you, did not know that, and consider that I would agree AMF's resale is much better, in fact I am surprised how close it is hearing that now... a lifetime warranty is a big value to lose! As far as the Z1R that makes sense being closed, but hearing that is so hard to fathom being able to vividly remember going from DT1990's less than a year after I realized my "expensive" gaming headset wasn't good audio to the first time I ever heard planar bass. If it is solidly over planars by an obvious amount as well as the VC I doubt I can resist buying it.... Thank you MDR-Z1R owners/lovers, I'm going to hold off for a little while, just got a nice tube amp from another user here today, here's hoping they don't discontinue it for a price spike or something before I have a chance to find a modestly priced used ones

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #7,860 of 9,609
This was my personal opinion and it is biased because laid back headphones can be a little boring to me. I owned both the Z1R and VC Ironwoods at the same time last year and I compared them back and forth. My memory is failing but I might have kept the VC on my tube amp and the Z1R on solid state during the comparison which would affect the results, but I was trying to put each one in its best sounding environment so I could compare them at their best and not just direct A/B on the same gear. I also have EQ profiles to help each one achieve what I felt was the best sound on each.

The Z1R, without EQ, can be a little sharp in some of the treble with various songs. It can add some excitement but on the wrong tunes, it is annoying. With my well tweaked EQ settings, the bass is boosted a bit more (even though it already has a lot) and the treble has lots of boosts and cuts all over the mid and high range to soften it out. The same went for the VC as well but it wasn't quite as extreme. I think I was focused on putting treble back into the VC. With all these EQ changes, I found that both headphones sounded very close to each other. There wasn't much difference at all and I did notice that the treble had a bit of graininess on the VC when going immediately from the Z1R to it. It was only detectable right after going from one to the other and after just a few seconds of listening, my brain adjusted and I couldn't hear any difference anymore. You'd never hear it unless you went back and forth too.

The one thing that bothered me about the VC was that I found it very boring. I listen to headphones for hours while I work and I don't have it cranked up or I'd be deaf by now. The VCs at low volume were just totally boring and again, I think that is because I tend to shy away from really laid back headphones. The VC might be a bit too warm for me if that's the correct audiophile word. :) Now, having said that, when you crank them up, the magic returns and they are as impressive as cranking up the Z1R. They have big punch and energy, plus the bass was nice and full on both. I can't listen to headphones like that all day long so it was just a rare treat to enjoy the odd song that way. This was the one thing that kept the VC on the stand more often than not, in my office. Others might not agree and that is perfectly okay. I just remember, after hours of working, telling myself that I am totally bored with my music and I was feeling no motivation from these headphones. I'd switch to the Z1R or the Arya.

If you need a headphone that plays on pretty much anything, the Z1R are great for that. They were hard to test with other headphones on the same amp because if you didn't remember to crank the volume dial down half way before plugging in the Z1R, you'd blast your ear drums!! They are SUPER sensitive. The VCs are great on tubes and were fine on my solid state amps too. I don't remember which pads were the best on VC but it was the one that boosted the treble more. It wasn't enough to make me want to keep both headphones but if playing loud on a desktop setup is your thing, either one will give you everything you need.

I used the VC sale to help fund the Abyss AB1266 TC and that is the kind of high energy headphone I like. I'm in love with it and don't miss any other headphone I have or have had. Ha ha! I keep the Z1R for closed back usage and because I like how the whack of beaters on bass drums comes across differently on dynamic drivers vs planar. The Z1R is a great example of how a dynamic driver can do bass drums differently than planars so I'm glad I have it.

I guess the TLDR from me is that if you like a really laid back sound and don't want to EQ, the VC might be more satisfying. If you want a more energetic sound at any volume and are willing to EQ some treble peaks here and there, the Z1R are a great choice (and lighter too). If you are worried about being able to buy OEM pads for years, the VC might also be a better choice. If others think I have this all wrong, I am never offended by hearing your opinions but this is how it was for me. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back