Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #7,741 of 9,619
The sound takes some getting used to. It's the traditional Sony house sound. It's a very smooth and pleasing sound to listen to. You don't need to upgrade to expensive cables or burn in the headphones. Just give it some time without listening to the other headphones.
I unfortunately have already returned the headphones. They were very good in all aspects except gaming, which was one of my main needs. I posted some thoughts in the MLE gaming headphone post as to why these headphones are ones to stay away from.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #7,742 of 9,619
I unfortunately have already returned the headphones. They were very good in all aspects except gaming, which was one of my main needs. I posted some thoughts in the MLE gaming headphone post as to why these headphones are ones to stay away from.
Yeah they are definitely not gaming headphones. The HD800 is still king in that respect.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #7,743 of 9,619
I used Sony Z7M2 for gaming and I never had any issues. There was just a very clear sound with correct positional cues from other things happening around me in the game.

I like the Z7M2's ability to have such a nice open soundstage for a closed-back, and Z1R should be even better than the Z7M2.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #7,744 of 9,619
Yeah they are definitely not gaming headphones. The HD800 is still king in that respect.

Hard disagree - the HD800 is poor for gaming because the soundstage is too wide and feels too hollow, plus it's an open back, you get outside noise mixed in which breaks immersion.

The T1 is actually way better than the HD800 when it comes to gaming when talking about TOTL cans - the soundstage of the T1 is just about right and more 3D, it's also semi-closed which offers more isolation for better immersion, and the bass has more thump to it than the HD800. The foot steps coming out of a T1 feels realistic and has weight to them, while on the HD800 they sound far too distant - that's not an effect you want in FPS games for example.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #7,745 of 9,619
They are perhaps the most detailed headphones (inner detail) I've heard, but they avoid brightness and sharp peaks and stay fairly balanced across the spectrum. Bass, mid and top seem to be of equal proportions. There's a very slight mellowness with the stock cable, it opens up with the Dana.

Why do I feel like I'm going to regret posting that....
The adjective "inner" saved your post. :relaxed:
I have autioned them twice on different configurations and my impression was that they require a fairly analytical DAC-Amp, featuring good depth and dynamics, in order to perform well. By the way, I did not find them bass-heavy or tremble-aggressive; perhaps a bit mid-warm.
Another "issue" wih Z1R is that they don't do very well on A-B comparisons because their sound is not immediately perceived properly: they would "sound" pretty muddy and perhaps rolled off high if A-B compared to Final Sonorous IV or especially VI. They probably need a lot of burn in time to open up and improve in terms of clarity and imaging. I'd say they are an acquired taste, and definitely not recommended on the full price.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #7,748 of 9,619
After i got delivery of the Dekoni Elite hybrid pads for the Z1r, i had no choice but to return it. Although the pads were more comfortable and plush than the stock pads, the reduction is bass response was unacceptable for me. As a result, the treble peaks were more noticeable and often bleed into the mids. I wonder if i should order the Solid Elite sheepskin pads ? Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #7,749 of 9,619
After i got delivery of the Dekoni Elite hybrid pads for the Z1r, i had no choice but to return it. Although the pads were more comfortable and plush than the stock pads, the reduction is bass response was unacceptable for me. As a result, the treble peaks were more noticeable and often bleed into the mids. I wonder if i should order the Solid Elite sheepskin pads ? Anyone have any experience?

Thanks
Same. I returned the Elite Hybrid and went sheepskins. Very close to stock signature -- tho there may be a subtle boost with the highs on the Dekoni Sheeps

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #7,750 of 9,619

Thanks

Although it’s not cheap or fast I believe it’s still possible to get the OE ear pads

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,751 of 9,619
It would be interesting to find a pad that calms the bass and treble slightly. Or maybe a pad change for the bass and a cable change for the treble. Headphone is very bloated.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #7,752 of 9,619
It would be interesting to find a pad that calms the bass and treble slightly. Or maybe a pad change for the bass and a cable change for the treble. Headphone is very bloated.
That's their character. If you don't like that it's probably best to move them on to the next owner?

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #7,753 of 9,619
That's their character. If you don't like that it's probably best to move them on to the next owner?
I actually did return the headphone last week. I have regretted returning it as I feel like with some minor tweaks it could be something special. The bass is almost perfect and the treble is just slightly too peaky. It’s on the cusp of greatness.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #7,754 of 9,619
I don’t find them bloated at all, nor spiky/peaky in the treble

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #7,755 of 9,619
I actually did return the headphone last week. I have regretted returning it as I feel like with some minor tweaks it could be something special. The bass is almost perfect and the treble is just slightly too peaky. It’s on the cusp of greatness.
I hear u, It took 3 times for me to settle down with them. Every time I sold them I would come back LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back