Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #6,901 of 9,633
I've had my Kimber cable for 9 months so far and no problems.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #6,902 of 9,633
Forza audio works. Good cables, and affordable. I use them with all my headphones.
Do you have the same Forza cable for all your cans and use adaptors for each one? I don't know if there is the posibility to order adaptors to use one Forza cable with all your headphones, like @Lookout57 is doing with his DHC Prion4. I will hope so...

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #6,903 of 9,633
I've had my Kimber cable for 9 months so far and no problems.
Consider yourself lucky. Perhaps it depends on your way of using it. Mine tended to turn quite a bit in the socket, whether in the Walkman or the TA amp. That wore off the gold plating. Then something bizarre happened with the headphone plugs themselves. To top it off, the cables started to oxidize in a few places and I don’t really live near the ocean.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #6,904 of 9,633
Do you have the same Forza cable for all your cans and use adaptors for each one? I don't know if there is the posibility to order adaptors to use one Forza cable with all your headphones, like @Lookout57 is doing with his DHC Prion4. I will hope so...
No, I have 5 of them.. They are relatively affordable, so I bought a few with various lengths and connectors. They are great!

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #6,905 of 9,633
MatW, I noticed that you have both the Dave and Z1R. How well do they pair together, especially once the Dave is fully burned in?

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #6,906 of 9,633
MatW, I noticed that you have both the Dave and Z1R. How well do they pair together, especially once the Dave is fully burned in?
I've been meaning to try that combo.. But haven't come around to that yet.. I use my closed backs in my setup 2. I'm sure it will sound great though. The Dave is fabulous.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #6,907 of 9,633
I've been meaning to try that combo.. But haven't come around to that yet.. I use my closed backs in my setup 2. I'm sure it will sound great though. The Dave is fabulous.
Dave is awesome indeed! It took about half an hour for that awesomeness to sink in though during the first demo. At first I wasn’t really sure what all the fuss was about and then it all clicked together. 3 hours later I was ready to buy it.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #6,908 of 9,633
The shop said it might be delayed so they sent me their demo unit while I wait. OMG! This is what I call a fun headphone. Just as I remembered it. My HD800 will be resting for now. My LCD-X will be up for sale. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_173508.jpg
    IMG_20210408_173508.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #6,909 of 9,633
The shop said it might be delayed so they sent me their demo unit while I wait. OMG! This is what I call a fun headphone. Just as I remembered it. My HD800 will be resting for now. My LCD-X will be up for sale. :)
The comfort factor of this pair of headphones is undeniable, especially when compared against Audeze LCD-X, which I briefly tried for a day. The sound, depending on what you power it with can be out of this world. Z1Rs are the type of headphones that can easily satisfy for a very long time without wanting something else.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #6,910 of 9,633
The comfort factor of this pair of headphones is undeniable, especially when compared against Audeze LCD-X, which I briefly tried for a day. The sound, depending on what you power it with can be out of this world. Z1Rs are the type of headphones that can easily satisfy for a very long time without wanting something else.
The comfort is very good in terms of weight and fit. The one issue I have which keeps me from long sessions with the Z1R is the heat. It tends to get quite warm/clammy, more so than my other closed backs.

Btw I listened to the Z1R with the Dave today, and it sounded very good, as expected.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,911 of 9,633
I definitely agree. I love the HD800 sound, and when I was looking for a can to compliment it I read a lot about the LCD-X and how it was a perfect opposite of the HD800. They are opposite alright. It just made me realize the sound signature I do not like, closed in and dark. And it was just too heavy. I started looking at the z1r again and I am happy I considered it again.

I liked it more directly out of the hugo 2 vs the violectric which gave it another layer of warmth. It was just right for me out of the hugo 2. But the soundstage is truly unbelievable for a closed back, not to mention the fun signature.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #6,912 of 9,633
Btw I listened to the Z1R with the Dave today, and it sounded very good, as expected.
That’s definitely something to look forward to. A few more days of burning in and the Dave should be ready. It’s surprising that it produces so little heat even when it’s been playing for two days straight.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #6,913 of 9,633
I definitely agree. I love the HD800 sound, and when I was looking for a can to compliment it I read a lot about the LCD-X and how it was a perfect opposite of the HD800. They are opposite alright. It just made me realize the sound signature I do not like, closed in and dark. And it was just too heavy. I started looking at the z1r again and I am happy I considered it again.

I liked it more directly out of the hugo 2 vs the violectric which gave it another layer of warmth. It was just right for me out of the hugo 2. But the soundstage is truly unbelievable for a closed back, not to mention the fun signature.
Yes, the soundstage on this headphone is something alright. Last summer I splurged quite a bit on power cables and interconnects for my TA-ZH1ES and the Naim Uniti Atom streamer that I was using at the time. I kid you not, these sounded better than a pair of electrostatic headphones that I have made by Warwick Acoustics. I was genuinely surprised. The soundstage became huge and I could literally hear everything that was going on in the space where the music was being recorded. While this may not always be a good thing depending on recordings, it was a neat experience for the most part.

With regard to LCD-X, it is rather heavy and almost feels like a vise. If you have a chance, try Meze Empyrean. It’s the polar opposite.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #6,914 of 9,633
If you have a chance, try Meze Empyrean. It’s the polar opposite.

I have a Empy to go with the Z1R and I love it! They both sound great for everything I've thrown at it, solid industrial design, beautiful and very comfortable. In my case the perfect companion for my Z1R, even if I had to sell most of my other headphones and amps to afford it. No regrets whatsoever :)

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #6,915 of 9,633
The Empy is one of those headphones that really have me curious. And it sure looks beautiful. But, down the road, I am saving up for an Abyss. :) I heard it and was blown away. Bass, soundstage and details. From what I heard, it was like if the HD800 and the Z1R had a child and taking all the positive traits of both. But that is further down the road for me due to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back