Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #5,761 of 9,610
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d like to use the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I recommend the Empyreans + silver cable. Wonderful bass on them with the leather pads and also very easy to drive.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #5,762 of 9,610
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d be using the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

Hehe I got utopia and audeze 4z on mind muhaha

Damz are you on cash frenzy mod? Spending unlimitedly? Did you win the lottery? 😁 you can share some $ over here if got to many extras hahaha

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #5,764 of 9,610
Hehe I got utopia and audeze 4z on mind muhaha

Damz are you on cash frenzy mod? Spending unlimitedly? Did you win the lottery? 😁 you can share some $ over here if got to many extras hahaha

Haha nah, I’m broke now 🤣 an open back HP will be my goal for 2021.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far guys :) @adrianm @moemoney @cosplayerkyo

Will add all those to the shortlist and hopefully can demo a few when the local audio store opens again post Covid lockdown.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,765 of 9,610

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d be using the same sources/power.

At one point I was truly curious about the HD800 and tried them with all kinds of elaborate systems. I’ve tried modded HD800 models and ones with expensive aftermarket cables. I’ve used them with various tube amps and feel I’ve done my own due diligence in an attempt to rule them out. Though I’m still curious as to why so many love them. I did try them with a special limited edition vinyl 180 gram pressing of TDSotM with a $100K system and it was amazing. Yet later that day I purchased a pair of closed back Foster built headphones. I’m maybe open to trying them again as my personal sound signature may have changed a little and could accept how they sound? They are just slightly dry and very critical of amp character, but the bass detail is clear and neat.

Another open-back to try could be the AKGk701. They came out in 2006, which was a couple years before the HD800 which was (guessing) late 2009? Both headphones share a similar signature. I use the k701s for watching movies, as they do well with voices and soundtracks. Maybe the hardest thing would be to mentally try to adjust to a thinner openback with music. That’s why I don’t even try to with the k701s, as using them for movies, I don’t judge them like I would for music. The only problem is not many amplifiers can drive them well. The TA can’t, nor even the Schiit Asgard can. That’s the big issue. And with less damping factor they have even less bass than they would naturally with even the best amplifier. Lol. The only great thing is they are low cost.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,766 of 9,610
Haha nah, I’m broke now 🤣 an open back HP will be my goal for 2021.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far guys :) @adrianm @moemoney @cosplayerkyo

Will add all those to the shortlist and hopefully can demo a few when the local audio store opens again post Covid lockdown.

Check out for zmf headphones to they are cool woody cups 🙂

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #5,767 of 9,610
At one point I was truly curious about the HD800 and tried them with all kinds of elaborate systems. I’ve tried modded HD800 models and ones with expensive aftermarket cables. I’ve used them with various tube amps and feel I’ve done my own due diligence in an attempt to rule them out. Though I’m still curious as to why so many love them. I did try them with a special limited edition vinyl 180 gram pressing of TDSotM with a $100K system and it was amazing. Yet later that day I purchased a pair of closed back Foster built headphones. I’m maybe open to trying them again as my personal sound signature may have changed a little and could accept how they sound? They are just slightly dry and very critical of amp character, but the bass detail is clear and neat.

Another open-back to try could be the AKGk701. They came out in 2006, which was a couple years before the HD800 which was (guessing) late 2009? Both headphones share a similar signature. I use the k701s for watching movies, as they do well with voices and soundtracks. Maybe the hardest thing would be to mentally try to adjust to a thinner openback with music. That’s why I don’t even try to with the k701s, as using them for movies, I don’t judge them like I would for music. The only problem is not many amplifiers can drive them well. The TA can’t, nor even the Schiit Asgard can. That’s the big issue. And with less damping factor they have even less bass than they would naturally with even the best amplifier. Lol. The only great thing is they are low cost.

Wow $100k system! Did you get to try any other hp’s with it?

Thanks for the suggestion, I’d actually completely forgotten about the k701’s. I tried a friend’s pair who uses them for mixing and was impressed with their sound. They were really comfy too. But yeah I’d want a phone that can be driven properly by the TA, so that’s a dealbreaker unfortunately

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #5,768 of 9,610
And with less damping factor they have even less bass than they would naturally with even the best amplifier. Lol. The only great thing is they are low cost.
Not sure how exactly the damping factor plays into it, Rob Watts mentioned it as well when talking about Dave's ability to drive demanding heaphones, but i have to say the Bass on the Z1R with the Dave is so much tighter,leaner and more detailed than the TA that i don't even recognize it on a lot of the songs. And i pretty much listen to the same stuff over and over again. Though the same holds true for the detail on the highs. Crossfeed is also a revelation, everything just sounds unnatural without it. And i'm not a speaker listener.
I keep trying to justify a pair of open backs to hear what all the fuss is all about but this combo just makes it hard to do so :p

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #5,769 of 9,610
Not sure how exactly the damping factor plays into it, Rob Watts mentioned it as well when talking about Dave's ability to drive demanding heaphones, but i have to say the Bass on the Z1R with the Dave is so much tighter,leaner and more detailed than the TA that i don't even recognize it on a lot of the songs. And i pretty much listen to the same stuff over and over again. Though the same holds true for the detail on the highs. Crossfeed is also a revelation, everything just sounds unnatural without it. And i'm not a speaker listener.
I keep trying to justify a pair of open backs to hear what all the fuss is all about but this combo just makes it hard to do so :p

Well that’s the thing I’m wondering too. Is it really worth spending cash on a high-ish end open back if the Z1R already has a large soundstage, and maybe a diffferent source that can enhance the Z1R in that regard even further would be better? I don’t really want to buy another dac/amp though. Especially not one as expensive as the Dave haha

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,770 of 9,610
Well that’s the thing I’m wondering too. Is it really worth spending cash on a high-ish end open back if the Z1R already has a large soundstage, and maybe a diffferent source that can enhance the Z1R in that regard even further would be better? I don’t really want to buy another dac/amp though. Especially not one as expensive as the Dave haha
Well with the DMP-Z1 not sure you need one. I'm not sure either.I also plan on auditioning..everything. Probably 2021 as well though :)
It's clear to me that the Z1R scales a lot more than people give it credit for. Even if you look at early reviews, a lot of them were polarizing ,but most of the people that tested them with high end gear had no complaints. With Dave compared the TA ,besides clearly higher resolution,imaging,etc soundstage is just cavernous, feels like a concert hall. With crossfeed at max level it's actually too big,seems too far away. I think a clear step up would be some Stax 009's or some fast planars, like the Final Audio D8k/pro. Also curious about the fuss with the Utopias, but no matter how good they are i'm sure i'll find them too bass light.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,771 of 9,610
Wow $100k system! Did you get to try any other hp’s with it?

Thanks for the suggestion, I’d actually completely forgotten about the k701’s. I tried a friend’s pair who uses them for mixing and was impressed with their sound. They were really comfy too. But yeah I’d want a phone that can be driven properly by the TA, so that’s a dealbreaker unfortunately

I did try some different headphones (on the system) at one point though on a different day. I heard the Sony R-10 headphones on the system. But it was a long time ago..............which maybe was so long ago that time has invalidated a portion of truth? Actually I don’t have any suggestions as I’m not truly in the know about openbacks. Though you really may want to try the HD800 headphones. Hah? I would again? But if I tried the HD800 headphones again.......... I would try to use them for at least two weeks.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #5,772 of 9,610
That sounds like an expectation bias at work.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #5,773 of 9,610

The only thing you can do is dive into a new wormhole and discover new aliens technology who will guide you threw to a new path of light lol

You tried a lot of things by now, I am wondering why you keep searching?

By the way if you really want to jump into hardcore headphones territory it will surpass the dmp-z1 price lol
You need an amp , dac, wires, power cables, usb ect ect...

I had back in the time a set of sennheiser hd800s + wirewold nano eclipse full copper even the 4.4mm jack was 100% copper!
Add hdv820 + furutech powercable and ifi usb purifiers and loop ground features...
And the ifi quadruple shielding +ceramic beads , full copper galvanized usb cable.

This is the best hd800s sound you can get honestly. It has had outstandingly realistic sound reproduction, to a point where you turn your head behind and thinking there was someone behind you lol or an ultra uber immersive music live show.

But even with all this goodness I sold the setup... cause hd800s to bright and no bass lol

Just chill down with mdr-z1r and the iems you have.

From what I hear a lot is den clark audio either 2 headphones are the best open backs you may wanna try that too

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5,774 of 9,610
[
The only thing you can do is dive into a new wormhole and discover new aliens technology who will guide you threw to a new path of light lol

You tried a lot of things by now, I am wondering why you keep searching?

By the way if you really want to jump into hardcore headphones territory it will surpass the dmp-z1 price lol
You need an amp , dac, wires, power cables, usb ect ect...

I had back in the time a set of sennheiser hd800s + wirewold nano eclipse full copper even the 4.4mm jack was 100% copper!
Add hdv820 + furutech powercable and ifi usb purifiers and loop ground features...
And the ifi quadruple shielding +ceramic beads , full copper galvanized usb cable.

This is the best hd800s sound you can get honestly. It has had outstandingly realistic sound reproduction, to a point where you turn your head behind and thinking there was someone behind you lol or an ultra uber immersive music live show.

But even with all this goodness I sold the setup... cause hd800s to bright and no bass lol

Just chill down with mdr-z1r and the iems you have.

From what I hear a lot is den clark audio either 2 headphones are the best open backs you may wanna try that too

It’s all part of the fun :)

I have focused on exploring the IEM world because I use them the most, and have settled on a collection of 4 that I’m completely happy with. So that chapter of my search is finished.

Finding a closed back headphone was easy. I have zero interest in trying other closed back headphones coz the Z1R does everything I could possibly want. Sure it’s not perfect, but I’m happy with it so why bother trying anything else?

An open back hp is the final piece of the puzzle. But it’s not super important to me, hence why it can wait until next year (or even later) when my hobby funds have replenished. Also I have no desire to build a system around an open-back headphone. It will need to slot into what I already have, or I won’t even bother buying one. If one exists, great! If not, oh well...

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5,775 of 9,610
That sounds like an expectation bias at work.
I had gotten Dave for 2 weeks already at that point and had 2 auditions with Dave, a month apart , to rule out actually being crazy for spending this kind of money on it. If it is expectation bias, it's a pretty damn selective one since no other gear compared to it from my point of view, even pricier stuff ,or the TT2+Mscaler (with a better amp section).
I didn't expect the amp section to make much of a difference before since looking at the specs of the TA and Dave , there's not that much difference in the power output. On the other hand TT2 had a way better amp and was still a lot worse so hard to isolate the amp part. But as i understood it the damping factor played a role in the linearity of the bass response. Which is why bass was thicker all the time on the TA, and it varies a lot more on Dave depending on the track. At first i thought it just had "less bass" with Dave compared to TA, but it's still there, just varies more and it's leaner(and more defined) on some tracks than i've ever heard it before. It's not just "bass " , it's more bass notes being audible and clearly separated. Same thing with highs though so not sure if it's the damping factor playing a part or the dac section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back