Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #4,936 of 9,633
For those who love the MDR-Z1R, what IEM have you heard or used that you feel gets close to giving you a similar amount of satisfaction?

My best IEM is the IER-Z1R but while it's great for when I need portability, it does not come close enough to give me the same pleasure that the MDR does.

For universal IEM - Victor HA-FW10000. Because it has a similar warm/musical/easy-listening leaning signature and doesn't try to overwhelm the listener with upfront clarity/detail like most TOTL IEM does.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #4,937 of 9,633
For universal IEM - Victor HA-FW10000. Because it has a similar warm/musical/easy-listening leaning signature and doesn't try to overwhelm the listener with upfront clarity/detail like most TOTL IEM does.

Haha, didn't expect confirmation so soon. The research I did the past couple of days also led me to this conclusion, though there's fairly limited descriptions and formal reviews of the HA-FW10000. But from what I gather, it has the potential to provide a very similar experience in IEM form. But maybe I'm expecting too much out of a universal IEM if I want something close to what the MDR-Z1R does.

I actually ordered one an hour ago. Best case scenario it will at least feel like something that can replace the IER.

Thanks also Redcarmoose and Lookout57 for the suggestions. Those seem interesting too, but I'll keep trusting Japanese artisanship for now :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #4,938 of 9,633
I've always thought about getting a pair of FW10000, but I really don't see enough UIEM usage to warrant buying them.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #4,939 of 9,633
I've always thought about getting a pair of FW10000, but I really don't see enough UIEM usage to warrant buying them.

Yeah I feel the same way, my IEM usage is about 10% of my music listening nowadays. But at the same time for those times when it's not possible for me to use a full size HP I'd really love something that feels like "MDR away from MDR". I'm also pretty fascinated by the bold decision to use a single dynamic driver on a TOTL IEM in today's environment. But maybe that's precisely what it takes to offer what I'm looking for. I'll share impressions after I get it in about a week.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #4,941 of 9,633
Do you think there’s a way to improve the clamp force to make it less cumbersome or is it just if doesn’t I’m out of luck?

I think the MDR-Z1R is the most comfortable I’ve found. Though they ARE big and result in not being able to lay flat as easy as something like the MDR-Z7. But what I think is meaningless. The fit of a headphone is totally subjective. Though they are super lightweight? People all over Head-Fi adjust the clamp by pulling the headphones apart. I don’t suggest it, but there may be a story of someone doing it in this very thread? Everyone has a different size head?

Obviously changing clamping force depends on the memory or lack of memory of the headphone material. But keep in mind too, it’s the fit of the cups and the air-tightness of the cups which allocates the tone of the sound. You may change it in a way you don’t like?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #4,942 of 9,633
I think the MDR-Z1R is the most comfortable I’ve found. Though they ARE big and result in not being able to lay flat as easy as something like the MDR-Z7. But what I think is meaningless. The fit of a headphone is totally subjective. Though they are super lightweight? People all over Head-Fi adjust the clamp by pulling the headphones apart. I don’t suggest it, but there may be a story of someone doing it in this very thread? Everyone has a different size head?

Obviously changing clamping force depends on the memory or lack of memory of the headphone material. But keep in mind too, it’s the fit of the cups and the air-tightness of the cups which allocates the tone of the sound. You may change it in a way you don’t like?
Meaning perhaps getting brand new, the memory foam will eventually adapt to my head size and perhaps reduce any necessary clamp force? Guess the only solution is to just check the height adjustments and see what I can get. So far, the MDR-Z7M2 has been solid for a 2 hour listen. Can’t complain. Thanks for the feedback

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #4,943 of 9,633
For those who love the MDR-Z1R, what IEM have you heard or used that you feel gets close to giving you a similar amount of satisfaction?

My best IEM is the IER-Z1R but while it's great for when I need portability, it does not come close enough to give me the same pleasure that the MDR does.
Have a look at the A8000, if you can.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #4,944 of 9,633

Probably the Acoustune HS1650. It's a bit more energetic and a little less lush, but it has a similar texture in the lows that keeps my head moving. Now, if only I can find some extra funds....

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #4,945 of 9,633
Probably the Acoustune HS1650. It's a bit more energetic and a little less lush, but it has a similar texture in the lows that keeps my head moving. Now, if only I can find some extra funds....

This one looks good too! I already have an FW10000 on the way. If that doesn't work out, I may try to track down one of these, but I'll most likely just give up on trying to find an MDR-like IEM, it may be a fool's errand.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #4,947 of 9,633

Oriolus all the way. I had the MK2, excellent IEM with a warm tuning, very lush sound and great bass. Absolutely recommended.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #4,949 of 9,633
I'm very stoked to listen to these babies on my bryston bha1.

Welcome to the club!
I haven't enjoyed and gotten addicted to music this much since my teenage years of discovery. Bless Sony.
These are just such great all-rounders. Every genre I've thrown at it has been a treat. The only one I had not tried extensively was classical/orchestra music until today, and it brought me back to those old times when it was possible to go out and sit among a crowd at a concert hall. I only missed all the coughing in between pieces to feel that I was really there :p

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #4,950 of 9,633
This one looks good too! I already have an FW10000 on the way. If that doesn't work out, I may try to track down one of these, but I'll most likely just give up on trying to find an MDR-like IEM, it may be a fool's errand.
The MDR-Z1R has a unique sound; it's difficult to find something that sounds similar. I'm just glad that it exists at all - the signature is an acquired taste, but once you fall in love with it, it sticks with you for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back