Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #4,876 of 9,633
Is there any reasonable assumptions regarding a new version for Sony MDRZ1R/Latest Sony flagship?
I feel that we're 1 or 2 years away from a successor; I would be surprised if Sony introduced a new flagship this year.

This is just a gut feeling. But, who really knows?

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,877 of 9,633
Is there any precedent for people who prefer the stock cables over the Kimber cables?

I'm asking because I only used the Kimber cable on the MDR ever since I got it, never touched the stock cable until today, motivated by desiring a bit more sparkle on my treble, which felt a bit too soft on the MDR, especially in contrast to the IER. Sparkle is back with the stock cable, with a bit less bass and overall lushness to the sound as the trade-off. But overall things feel more balanced with the stock to me, against what seems to be the general opinion.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #4,878 of 9,633
Is there any precedent for people who prefer the stock cables over the Kimber cables?

I'm asking because I only used the Kimber cable on the MDR ever since I got it, never touched the stock cable until today, motivated by desiring a bit more sparkle on my treble, which felt a bit too soft on the MDR, especially in contrast to the IER. Sparkle is back with the stock cable, with a bit less bass and overall lushness to the sound as the trade-off. But overall things feel more balanced with the stock to me, against what seems to be the general opinion.
I'm happy with the sound of my stock cable; I've never used an aftermarket option before. This is the Z1R that I fell in love with - lush, syrupy, with adequate highs, and a robust low-end. With that said, I have placed an order for an all-copper cable, as I am having issues with the length of the original cable. I'll compare the all-copper cable with the stock when it arrives.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4,879 of 9,633
The stock cable is sliver-plated copper. Here's why I don't like it:

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #4,880 of 9,633
Hi folks I have this pw1960 4wires 1.2m for mdr-z1r and z7m2 would anyone be interested?

IMG-20200624-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200624-WA0008.jpgIMG-20200624-WA0007.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #4,881 of 9,633
Does anyone recommend eq settings for the z1r? I use sonarworks but they unfortunately don't have presets for it. I did try the preset for the HD 800s to bring up the bass slightly and lower the treble peak. I find I am very close to my perfect sound preferences but not quite there.

Also for anyone interested, these headphones are indeed amazing for gaming :)

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #4,882 of 9,633
Is there any reasonable assumptions regarding a new version for Sony MDRZ1R/Latest Sony flagship?
it's more likely for Sony to release an open back flagship than anything to replace the Z1R in the near future IMO.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #4,883 of 9,633
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #4,884 of 9,633
The stock cable is sliver-plated copper. Here's why I don't like it:

Because ... "transients"!

7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

The old guy is so clueless he has to try to hide it with a dumb, arrogant laugh.

I wonder how the oxygen got between the copper and the silver in order to oxidize the silver. It's amazing that Kimber has the technology to detect something like that when they don't even have basic measurements for their Axios cables.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #4,885 of 9,633
Because ... "transients"!

7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

The old guy is so clueless he has to try to hide it with a dumb, arrogant laugh.

I wonder how the oxygen got between the copper and the silver in order to oxidize the silver. It's amazing that Kimber has the technology to detect something like that when they don't even have basic measurements for their Axios cables.

It's substantiated though. NASA has a well-documented study on the topic: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100009723.pdf

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,886 of 9,633
It's substantiated though. NASA has a well-documented study on the topic: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100009723.pdf
If you read the presentation, you will see that the issue is the corrosion of the Cu core in places where the Ag plating has been damaged or not applied correctly. So in fact, the Ag acts to protect and delay the oxidation of the Cu, not encourage it (although it seems that, once exposed, the Cu core will corrode faster because of the direct contact with Ag, but not at the interface).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #4,888 of 9,633
If you read the presentation, you will see that the issue is the corrosion of the Cu core in places where the Ag plating has been damaged or not applied correctly. So in fact, the Ag acts to protect and delay the oxidation of the Cu, not encourage it.

That's one way to spin it I guess. It was such an issue for NASA that they even named it the red plague.

And, no, that's not the only way the issue manifests, just one of them. Per the paper, it manifests with:

— Poor plating quality control (pin-hole, porosity, thin coating)
— Mechanical damage during stranding or handling (scratches, nicks, abrasion) — Corrosion (chemical, atomic oxygen, silver migration)
— Wicking of moisture, oxygen, flux residue, solvents under the Teflon jacket

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #4,889 of 9,633
That's one way to spin it I guess. It was such an issue for NASA that they even named it the red plague.
The way I read it, the issue for NASA is not with the silver plating itself, but with the corrosion of the copper core, which would have occurred also in the absence of the silver plating (albeit a bit slower) given the same conditions, but which is now hidden by the otherwise unaffected silver.

This sounds to me like another case of: "what can go wrong" used to justify a marketing scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Tano
Back