Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 21, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #4,847 of 9,535
There is this myth that the TH-900 is great for electronic music, but I never understood how that came about. Just like you, I always found it severely lacking in the 'slam" department. Sub-bass was decent AFAIC, but the mid-bass kick was just never there for me, and I'm not a basshead either. These two headphones are hardly comparable, as the MDR-Z1R is warmer by several multitudes of order, but the Sony's mid-bass is indeed more satisfying IMO.
i think it's more than a myth given that edm does have sub-bass and the th900's bass extends well into that frequency range. however, the z1r does have more mid-bass presence, and that's where "bass slam" is generated. i agree that the z1r and th900 share little in common beyond accentuated bass.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #4,848 of 9,535
i think it's more than a myth given that edm does have sub-bass and the th900's bass extends well into that frequency range. however, the z1r does have more mid-bass presence, and that's where "bass slam" is generated. i agree that the z1r and th900 share little in common beyond accentuated bass.

Ive actually started to enjoy my th-900 alot more now one week in. I do think the subbs is amazing, but that mid-bass does feel lacking. I get my z1rs on Monday to compare. Can't wait

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #4,849 of 9,535
Ive actually started to enjoy my th-900 alot more now one week in. I do think the subbs is amazing, but that mid-bass does feel lacking. I get my z1rs on Monday to compare. Can't wait
the z1r is a very nice headphone imo but as we discussed in the th900 thread, they're not beats

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,850 of 9,535
the z1r is a very nice headphone imo but as we discussed in the th900 thread, they're not beats

Well of course not, considering not only the price difference but the obvious sound quality... If you're meaning to imply that I want "beats bass" then you're incorrect.

I am very interested in the overall package of the z1r rather that just the bass response. The th-900s tend to get a bit fatiguing in certain high energy tracks. I tend to listen to alot of things, although most of the time it's edm. So with that, I hope the z1rs have more of the complete package.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #4,851 of 9,535
Well of course not, considering not only the price difference but the obvious sound quality... If you're meaning to imply that I want "beats bass" then you're incorrect.

I am very interested in the overall package of the z1r rather that just the bass response. The th-900s tend to get a bit fatiguing in certain high energy tracks. I tend to listen to alot of things, although most of the time it's edm. So with that, I hope the z1rs have more of the complete package.
If that doesn’t work out, try the MDR-Z7M2. No doubt the Z1R is wonderful, tho. The clamp force causing headaches and orchestral music like trumpets and other brass instruments caused my ears to get pierced. Doesn’t happen to everyone, so I hope the MDR-Z1R works out for you. It does have a wide soundstage and multidimensional illusions. Impressive indeed

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #4,852 of 9,535
If that doesn’t work out, try the MDR-Z7M2. No doubt the Z1R is wonderful, tho. The clamp force causing headaches and orchestral music like trumpets and other brass instruments caused my ears to get pierced. Doesn’t happen to everyone, so I hope the MDR-Z1R works out for you. It does have a wide soundstage and multidimensional illusions. Impressive indeed
Vlampinh forcé problems ive had none, perhaps yhe beethoven head wherr i place then made yhe headband more stretched

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #4,853 of 9,535
Vlampinh forcé problems ive had none, perhaps yhe beethoven head wherr i place then made yhe headband more stretched
Maybe they aren’t big headed approved. Got that from a YouTuber named GymCaddy. I like his reviews

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #4,854 of 9,535

well bass presence appears to be a priority for you in your posts here and in the th900 thread - hence my comment. i hope that you find the z1r satisfactory.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #4,855 of 9,535
i think it's more than a myth given that edm does have sub-bass and the th900's bass extends well into that frequency range.

Of course there are sub-bass frequencies in electronic music too, but I'm talking about genres that are essentially defined by "four to the floor" kick drums, for which mid-bass impact or "slam" is mandatory. I sense a possible misunderstanding where less discerning users propagated the "prodigious bass" that so often comes up when these headphones are advertised, without differentiating between sub-bass rumble, of which there is plenty, and mid-bass impact, which I found sadly lacking. I just think that fans of electronic genres like Techno, Minimal, Tech-House, House etc. rather than what is today (and predominately in the US) called EDM -- the latter being basically a derivative of dubstep or "brostep" -- should be aware of that and try before they buy (which is generally a good idea IMO).

however, the z1r does have more mid-bass presence, and that's where "bass slam" is generated. i agree that the z1r and th900 share little in common beyond accentuated bass.

That's my point.

I have the same impression. We could speculate why that is, and I have several theories (severely scooped out midrange affecting mid-bass performance and insufficient fit being two of them), but the result stays the same: every way I turned it, while sub-bass was very much present, the piercing (to me) high frequencies would invariably outweigh what mid-bass impact I was looking for, making the headphone virtually worthless for me as I just couldn't use it. But that's all I have to say about the TH-900 really. I hated it, I finally sold it, it's in the past for me, while the MDR-Z1R and most of all the Pioneer SE-Master1 are very much in the present.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #4,856 of 9,535
I have the same impression. We could speculate why that is, and I have several theories (severely scooped out midrange affecting mid-bass performance and insufficient fit being two of them), but the result stays the same: every way I turned it, while sub-bass was very much present, the piercing (to me) high frequencies would invariably outweigh what mid-bass impact I was looking for, making the headphone virtually worthless for me as I just couldn't use it. But that's all I have to say about the TH-900 really. I hated it, I finally sold it, it's in the past for me, while the MDR-Z1R and most of all the Pioneer SE-Master1 are very much in the present.
i thought that you were criticising the th900's bass reproduction in the context of "techno, idm and the like", which you listen to "almost exclusively". whereas "kick drums" are acoustic instruments, which the th900 reproduces convincingly to my ears, but perhaps i'm one of those "less discerning users". :wink: the th900 is no "one trick pony" that is only capable of reproducing "sub-bass rumble" imho. anyway, i'm well aware of your opinion of the th900. as it's been said countless times in these forums - "we all hear differently", "ymmv", etc.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #4,857 of 9,535
15927379992946541652350237208209.jpg

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #4,858 of 9,535
i thought that you were criticising the th900's bass reproduction in the context of "techno, idm and the like", which you listen to "almost exclusively". whereas "kick drums" are acoustic instruments, which the th900 reproduces convincingly to my ears, but perhaps i'm one of tihose "less discerning users". :wink: the th900 is no "one trick pony" that is only capable of reproducing "sub-bass rumble" imho. anyway, i'm well aware of your opinion of the th900. as it's been said countless times in these forums - "we all hear differently", "ymmv", etc.
I'm talking about electronic "kick drums". :wink:

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #4,860 of 9,535

I find that the TH900 plays better with EDM; the combination of a mid-bass boost, good sub-bass extension and rumble, and a prominent treble presentation afford a high-energy signature that many sub-genres of EDM require. It's definitely engaging, but that hollowed-out midrange may be jarring for those who would prefer a more balanced sound.

The Z1R is the better headphone for general listening, in this regard. It plays well with the aforementioned EDM, but also with vocal-oriented genres, such as Pop and Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back