Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,516 of 9,631
could i just ask again is there only one version of the mdr z1r worldwide? just to add to my knowledge. so no different models depending on region etc.
Is just one model. That ww2 must be some dumb code used by sony/amazon

May 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #4,517 of 9,631
I bet it refers to packaging and what's contained like warranty info and other things.

May 6, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #4,518 of 9,631
Initial impressions. Build quality and materials excellent. The size of the headphone is deceptive as it really is light under 400 grams. The pads are comforting. I was anxious as i have tried loads of hi end headphones to be let down with comfort issues. The sony like my oppo PM1 is under 400 grams with real leather pads. I immediately notice the wide stage and immersive presentation. At £1550 a good deal. The sony like my oppo exerts a tiny amount of pressure on my head almost non existent. I'm 10 minutes into Entremundo Renaud Garcia Fons. I hope the positive vibes continue and nothing goes wrong now. Fingers crossed and that my persistent 'research' pays off here. I feel a bit of a retro 1980's/90's hifi sound signature with the sony mdr z1r but done very nicely and with professional attention in 2020. Pictures soon.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #4,519 of 9,631
That retro sound signature is in MDR-Z7M2 too, they sound about like some higher end 80:s Infinity-speakers driven by a 40Kg state-of-the-art power amp in a small well damped room.

If Sennheiser can sound life like, Sony sounds like expensive audio gear, but a fun and kind of flattering for the recording sound :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #4,520 of 9,631
15887881989478531515577563820941.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #4,521 of 9,631
May 6, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #4,523 of 9,631
the pads are nice cushions. out of interest do they mould more to the shape of your ears and soften in time?

also what's the general consensus regarding burn in for number of hours?

May 6, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #4,524 of 9,631
the pads are nice cushions. out of interest do they mould more to the shape of your ears and soften in time?

There's never a consensus when it comes to burnin. That would be like asking: what is the consensus on Jesus?

But I've enjoyed mine more after about 2-3 days. You could call it burnin if you want. :)

---

After the head to head with the Arya I thought I had a good grip on the differences and how they relate to my preferences. But after listening to the Arya again (upon returning them) on the Hugo2 I'm starting to have some doubts that my TA got the best out of them. So I'm planing to repeat the head to head, but this time borrow the Hugo2 as well and do a 4 way "test".

Anyway, regardless of how the MDR compares to other headphones, I'm enjoying them a great deal and find that I'm reaching for them much more than I was expecting. For now, the IER (which I still love) os relegated to out and about use. I have to say, I'm quite happy with the decision to get these.

May 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #4,525 of 9,631

Had mine for 2 1/2 years now, pads are still good, with a little of the new leather smell, i baby them, always clean the pads and headband after every use with a microfiber cloth, and keep them in the original box. Thinking of buy the headband instead of the pads, which it is not seems to be made of real leather and hold the same as the pads.

They need burn in, hours may vary from user to user. Treble peak shows from genre and source used. I paired with the WM1A in low gain balanced, when i turn it to high gain it gets shouty to me. Very good balanced in being musical and analytical to me.

May 6, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #4,526 of 9,631
Had mine for 2 1/2 years now, pads are still good, with a little of the new leather smell, i baby them, always clean the pads and headband after every use with a microfiber cloth, and keep them in the original box. Thinking of buy the headband instead of the pads, which it is not seems to be made of real leather and hold the same as the pads.

They need burn in, hours may vary from user to user. Treble peak shows from genre and source used. I paired with the WM1A in low gain balanced, when i turn it to high gain it gets shouty to me. Very good balanced in being musical and analytical to me.
Change the stock cable for an all copper cable to remove the treble peaks.

May 6, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,528 of 9,631
Change the stock cable for an all copper cable to remove the treble peaks.
Alternatively, just thinking that you have changed to an all copper cable will also remove the treble peaks. :) Just having a bit of fun, don't mean to start a cable debate.

May 6, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #4,529 of 9,631
the wide inviting absorbing sound continues to impress me. one small point i find the pads get unusually hot after about 30 minutes. it might be because i'm used to the slim design of the oppo pm1. after trials i find setting number 3/4 gives me a bit of room without loosing grip. this is my first large size factor headphone apart from the pm1. does fit improve with time as the pads relax into your shape?

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #4,530 of 9,631
my understanding is that the ear pads contain memory foam. the ear pads will soften while you're wearing them and they will also feel warmer (memory foam is not breathable). the ear pads will start to revert to their original shape when you take the headphone off. i wouldn't expect them to compress permanently anytime soon if that's what you mean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back