Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 27, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4,036 of 9,631
Maybe because you are using an expensive cable. I already spent £1,686 so no way i will pay £1000 for a cable. I need 3meter .

Really disappointed.

I might just return them tomorrow.
i can understand your disappointment but before you consider spending more money on an after market cable, i suggest that you spend more time listening to your music if the return policy allows for it. you will be in a better position to judge whether it's worth your while keeping the z1r after using it for a few days.

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,038 of 9,631
Where can I buy the Sony Kimber in Europe please, and are there different lengths and terminations(XLR, single-ended)?
I had to oder from Japan. I still cannot see a EU source for such Sony accessories.

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #4,039 of 9,631
I have to keep the volume low on the album with sharp treble. Listening TIDAL HIFI Master QUALITY ‘ICONOLOGY - MISSY ELLIOT’.
I listened to three different tracks from that album albeit only the videos on YouTube via my Note 8. There was not a single piercing note on all those tracks.

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #4,041 of 9,631
If you don’t hear these ss sharp sounds you are fortunate as otherwise this is incredible headphone. Better then my Focal Clear even.

I cannot EQ it as don’t have EQ option on my TV.

Also there is no 3meter kimber cable.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,043 of 9,631
If you don’t hear these ss sharp sounds you are fortunate as otherwise this is incredible headphone. Better then my Focal Clear even.

I cannot EQ it as don’t have EQ option on my TV.

Also there is no 3meter kimber cable.

This one has 3 meters

Around 300$ on ebay

10084004.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #4,044 of 9,631
i can understand your disappointment but before you consider spending more money on an after market cable, i suggest that you spend more time listening to your music if the return policy allows for it. you will be in a better position to judge whether it's worth your while keeping the z1r after using it for a few days.
I agree - if he does not like them after a few days he should return them. Especially If he is sensitive to the treble. Trying to eq a headphones with cables does not make sense to me if you are not happy with them in the first place. I upgraded my cable just because I wanted a nicer one but I enjoyed the headphone with the stock cable. I would consider the new Aeon2 closed as an option. Just my two cents

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #4,049 of 9,631
I may sound like a broken record stating this but the MDR-Z1R sound is the end result of everything before it.

Get it a bad source or amp or both and it shows it. At times stuff just doesn’t go together well. We read the word synergy, but it’s another word for stuff getting along.......going together well.

Also the Z7 cables are exactly like MDR-Z1R cables, as far as how they work.

If it sounds like I’m defending the Z1R.....I am. They of course are not going to please everyone, but the whole system must be taken into account. IMO

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #4,050 of 9,631
The coloration of the Z1R is mainly the 3k and 7k spike and the 10+ db drop between them. The spikes make the vocal harsh and the drop makes it dry. In measurements by tyll they are terrible while jude provided a better result. However, most likely they do exist despite some people 'never heard' them.

But the interesting thing is now it's 3 years since its release why there aren't any DIY mods to the Sony flagship like there have been to the HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back