Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #766 of 9,535
So here's a great video with Tyll talking to Paul Barton (a great guy who's been around audio for 46+ years with PSB) with regards to measurements, dummy heads AND how they regard to the Z1R:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2017-people-i-love-paul-barton

Makes sense why several of us never heard a peak, or why Jude didn't measure one. Most heads have "curved" ear canals as did Jude's dummy head...but Tyll mentions his is a straight cylinder. Paul mentioned that he thought that a peak measured at 9kHz ish likely wasn't there, but the straight cylinder might have had a cause. At least we have a plausible reason for this issue.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #767 of 9,535
yes, that was most interesting. i think it's also worth mentioning that the 10khz peak on jude's pre-production pair is not as pronounced as it is on tyll's review sample, according to tyll's measurements. so another plausible suggestion for the differences between the measurements could be unit variation. it will be interesting to see how tyll's pair measures on jude's rig.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #768 of 9,535
How big an upgrade in terms of sound quality can I expect from Sony MDR-Z7 to the MDR-Z1R? I also have the Z7 and am thinking about upgrading to a Z1R (I will be running both out of a 4.4 balanced Sony amp - TA-ZH1ES). Alternatively, I can get the Fostex TH900 Mk 2 (or even save up for a pair of utopia in the future). Can owners of both Z1R and Z7 help me with the decision?

I really enjoyed the MDR-Z7. I'd say the Z1R is only an upgrade if you prefer the sound - they are different sounding headphones with some similar characteristics. The Z1R adds clarity and soundstage, and is a bit more aggressive than the Z7, which is a really mellow headphone. Both are relaxing to listen to, but the Z1R gives you more detail and the vocals are more present than with the Z7. The overall tone is a little different, so that's going to be personal preference.

I have no regrets going from the Z7 to the Z1R. I'd also be happy to repurchase the Z7 as a workhorse for taking to the office, if I didn't currently work from home.

In short. you absolutely will notice quite a big difference, but whether you prefer it is something only you're going to be able to answer!

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #771 of 9,535
Tyll created a fine classic amp that was wildly popular (the Headroom Max). It sounds excellent (I know because I've owned it for 17 years and still use it for a remote system; I love this amp.)

The Max is somehow really great with Grados (like the GS and GH and even the PS).
For some reason, he doesn't mention it ever, like it's something he doesn't want to talk about. And I don't know why because it's a great achievement and still holds its own.
What this exactly means or signifies, I don't know.

I find his silence on this curious but I just want to salute him on his fine creation as I hear it.

Here: It was twenty years ago today (roughly):

https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/261/index.html

P.S.: I also love my Z1R headphones, but they need a good, robust DAC with tight bass and clear highs that could push some other less reticent headphones over the top and make them fatiguing or leave the bass as too soft.
But with the right amp and dac, the Z1Rs tower above other headphones as I hear it. They are perfect match for my EMM dac which is clear and can be unforgiving in the highs.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #773 of 9,535
Does anyone recommend the kimber cable or is it just snake oil. In terms of sq
Their kimber kable is okay, it's more durable than the stock, but i don't hear difference between them. In fact, the kimber is actually quite microphonic, i can hear the cable drag sometimes.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #775 of 9,535
Thanks brother.
I had the Kimber for m Z7, the sound was not very different, but i found the cable very stubborn and stiff, but it looks spectacular on the headphones.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #776 of 9,535
Their kimber kable is okay, it's more durable than the stock, but i don't hear difference between them. In fact, the Kimber/Sony is actually quite microphonic, i can hear the cable drag sometimes.
The differences between the stock and the Kimber/Sony
They are clear to me but not big big difference between them as all but ther is ther i can her it .
Only in connection to a real quality amplifier As YOU HAVE or phonitor -2/p-1u

The original cable is more beautiful.

There are differences in the much higher and refined with details
MID is more full of woodwinds and percussion instruments
The bass is more precise and less bleeding towards the rest of the orchestra's musicians

Both of them together do not give what cable UPOCC

When the Z1R only works in FULL BAL

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #777 of 9,535
I don't find the 4.4mm Kimber cable microphonic nor stiff, what I do find is that it's just too damn long. And due to the thick 8 braid weave it's hard to organise and doesn't wrap up nicely. It needs to be like, half the length.

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #779 of 9,535
When speaking about the Kimber cable people should specify whether they are talking about the Kimber/Sony collaboration or the Kimber Axios.

Two COMPLETELY different animals in material quality, build quality, and ultimately performance quality.

The Axios is significantly better and you get what you pay for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back