Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #706 of 9,631
So you sold both of your HD800? A pity, Im on the opinion that a Z1R and an HD800 will be an all you ever need pair of one closed one open headphones.
Glad you finally get infected by the Allure of the Z1R :wink:

Btw, do you plan to make a video about the Sony again?

Yes i hope me makes more "movies" . lol

His last review vs a new one will be cool :D

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #707 of 9,631
So you sold both of your HD800? A pity, Im on the opinion that a Z1R and an HD800 will be an all you ever need pair of one closed one open headphones.

I have these two on my desk as my most used headphones. Quite satisfied with each of them, when used at the right time and with the right content.
The Z1R by itself wouldn't be enough to keep me happy all the time (it lacks some of the HD800 strengths) but the HD800 isn't enough to cover other use cases.

There are many possible Open+Closed duos out there (Utopia/Eikon, etc) but this specific 800+Z1R combo is like having a knife and a fork. I could try to get a Spork, but it wouldn't be the same.
I might sell them one day, but it would have to be for replacements that would combine equally well.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #708 of 9,631
I have these two on my desk as my most used headphones. Quite satisfied with each of them, when used at the right time and with the right content.
The Z1R by itself wouldn't be enough to keep me happy all the time (it lacks some of the HD800 strengths) but the HD800 isn't enough to cover other use cases.

There are many possible Open+Closed duos out there (Utopia/Eikon, etc) but this specific 800+Z1R combo is like having a knife and a fork. I could try to get a Spork, but it wouldn't be the same.
I might sell them one day, but it would have to be for replacements that would combine equally well.
Utopia and Eikon would be too heavy combo. I actually appreciate my Z1R more than my utopia, due to its comfort and warm nature.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #709 of 9,631

Great post.
What's your opinion of the hd800s as opposed to the 800. I'm looking for an open hp to compliment my z1r. Just ordered TA-ZH1ES, I've read that it pairs well with the z1r and hd800 but haven't seen any opinion on the 800s.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #710 of 9,631
Great post.
What's your opinion of the hd800s as opposed to the 800. I'm looking for an open hp to compliment my z1r. Just ordered TA-ZH1ES, I've read that it pairs well with the z1r and hd800 but haven't seen any opinion on the 800s.
I have the straight 800...I use Sonarworks for EQ correction for that...I've never heard the 800S.
Also own the Z1R...and agree with Beowulf that the pair make a great complimentary combo. I was thinking of getting an Auteur as a "spork" next year. Haven't decided yet. Driving from a laptop and Teac HA-501.

Bern

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #711 of 9,631
Great post.
I am using TA-ZH1ES, and i have tried the HD800 and HD800S with the amp. They are not the best match to my ears. The amp doesn't have enough power to drive HD800/S and they sound too laid back, totally missing the revealing/bright trait of HD800/S that I am looking for in the first place.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #712 of 9,631
Great post.

I liked the 800S but couldn't justify the cost since I prefer the little bit of extra brightness of the 800. The reason I keep the 800 is because I particularly like its feeling of space. The sound can get particularly holographic, with a large stage, excellent positioning and separation. The 800 has a bit of extra grain that makes this slightly more obvious. Some people find it fatiguing, but I got used to it and use it mostly for gaming and some classical/acoustic.
The S has a bit more body, but I found the difference to be negligible. A good amp of even something accessible like iFI's XBass+ will improve bass more significantly.

So the short version is that I prefer the sound of the [unmodded] 800 to the 800S. The difference is not huge, but the savings can be, especially if you don't need the balanced cable that is force-fed (and paid) with the 800S.
The only thing I miss of the 800S is the black design. The silver paint on the 800 is crap and you have to be extra careful not to bang them against anything, otherwise it starts chipping.

Not trying to discourage any 800S buyers. Both 800 and 800S are quite nice for the uses I give them and I wouldn't be bummed if I had to go back to the S, but it was nice to pocket some $ with its sale and still be pleased.
IMO it all comes down to the prices at which you find them and needing the balanced cable or not (they're not as easy to sell as some people point).

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #713 of 9,631
Utopia and Eikon would be too heavy combo. I actually appreciate my Z1R more than my utopia, due to its comfort and warm nature.

True. I have never used a model as comfortable as the Z1R. And I've tried quite a few in these years. Maybe it's just my head shape, but it's the most comfy set for me.
The exception will be in hot summer days if there's no AC in the room - but that will be an issue with any full size headphones, especially if closed and with fat leather pads.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #714 of 9,631
Great post.

Last year I auditioned both 800 and 800S using my hi-res audiophile classical music playlist and found the "S" to be somewhat (but very noticeably) better in clarity due to less bassy 'haze' around the mids and highs. I am mainly an AKG guy and find most Sennheisers to be too warm and 'cloudy' for me, but this 800S I could tell right away was audibly different. A lot of orchestral pieces that sound warm and distant on the 800 become excitingly brilliant on the "S" (like moving up several rows in a concert hall, but not quite front-row seating as with the AKG's) It also helps tremendously in chamber music and lieder where clarity and intimacy are essential (where my K812 still reigns supreme). Personally I'd say it's worth the slightly higher price.

Eventually I plan to keep 3 headphones in my collection -- K812, 800S and a closed can (Z1R?)

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #715 of 9,631
Glad you finally get infected by the Allure of the Z1R :wink:

Btw, do you plan to make a video about the Sony again?
Yes I sold the HD800 however
Because of the addition of SPL amplifier
I will probably return the HD800 again

At first I had very serious complaints against Sonny

The day after it is really for a long and worthy run
Not everything exactly remains.. a lot of ZZZZ in the high field
But does not always appear interesting and depends on the recording a lot

Yes I'm going to make a fuller video
I have on the comparison with HD800 VS Z1R not published

But I will upload pictures of the new cable that I need to get real soon

With pictures and examples will be more comprehensive and edited with subtitles and so on

Today I just know so well the HD800
After I had 3 pairs

Today the rules of the game have changed with the SPL working perfectly with the Z1R

Less volume is more amazing detail - sometimes I am speechless.

P-1U is really superlative of amplifier - works fantastic with Z1R but not
Always suitable for any recording.

SPL + Z1R A winning combination
I had a serious dilemma with Sony's amplifier themselves -

But I preferred SPL for a lot of reasons

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #716 of 9,631
Last year I auditioned both 800 and 800S using my hi-res audiophile classical music playlist and found the "S" to be somewhat (but very noticeably) better in clarity due to less bassy 'haze' around the mids and highs. I am mainly an AKG guy and find most Sennheisers to be too warm and 'cloudy' for me, but this 800S I could tell right away was audibly different. A lot of orchestral pieces that sound warm and distant on the 800 become excitingly brilliant on the "S" (like moving up several rows in a concert hall, but not quite front-row seating as with the AKG's) It also helps tremendously in chamber music and lieder where clarity and intimacy are essential (where my K812 still reigns supreme). Personally I'd say it's worth the slightly higher price.

Eventually I plan to keep 3 headphones in my collection -- K812, 800S and a closed can (Z1R?)
Very interesting what you said
I found that the Z1R is simply amazing
I'm interested in hearing how 812 sounds with my SPL

To date I have only held the old K702-K340 electrostatic from 1980

But I hold the sound of the original 800 + P-1U amazing combination
This amplifier will probably be sold soon
And I'll stay with SPL

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #717 of 9,631
I'm also Z1R and HD800 owner, and my reason is that the HD800 has better wearing comfort, there is larger space inside its cups and I can wear it for hours. And also in some cases such as the MONO recordings, the HD800 gives an enlarged image due to its inner reflections, meanwhile the image of the Z1R will shrink. So sometimes the HD800 will bring better listening experience because of its open-back and baffled design.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #718 of 9,631
I'm also Z1R and HD800 owner, and my reason is that the HD800 has better wearing comfort, there is larger space inside its cups and I can wear it for hours. And also in some cases such as the MONO recordings, the HD800 gives an enlarged image due to its inner reflections, meanwhile the image of the Z1R will shrink. So sometimes the HD800 will bring better listening experience because of its open-back and baffled design.
Fully agree in the comfort of the Sennheiser HD 800
I think more than the Sony
Friends
I begin to realize that we are talking about apples versus oranges

I have recently heard mono recordings
Truly more pleasant to hear in HD800

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #719 of 9,631
Yes i hope me makes more "movies" . lol

His last review vs a new one will be cool :D
I just got the new cable
Here's the movie
HD800 VS Z1R