Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #991 of 9,617
At least Sony isn't pulling a Focal move by making its third version of the Z1Rs LOL jeez the elear, the clear, and now the Elex!?... Common man. It makes me appreciate the time and effort sony took to make the z1r instead of releasing different versions of the z1r through the years.

the z1r was only released last year. :relaxed: the elex is the result of a collaboration between massdrop and focal. massdrop's collaborations with the likes of sennheiser and fostex have benefited the headphone community and i think this will too. if i was considering buying the elear, then the introduction of the elex at $200 less would make me think again.

... I love grado but they are built like a tinker toy and very uncomfortable. I have not seen anyone compare the sony to the ps2ke most likely because they are just vastly different sounding...

the ps2000e and the z1r are so unalike that it's almost hard to know where to begin comparing them. tonally the grado is considerably brighter and bass lite compared to the sony, which has a darker presentation and prodigious bass. the build quality and comfort of the z1r are in a different league imo, and i think you'll appreciate that being a grado owner.

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #992 of 9,617
I agree and this is exactly why I did not want to replace the destroyed ps2ke. try something different. as everyone knows I have some high end headphones here but I am just very interested in the sony. I will find out soon! I would say the grado ps1k original is my favorite and it was darker too. the build quality stinks though. with the cable the z1r is not a cheap headphone and I am hoping it lives up to what I expect from a sony flagship. I am absolutely fine with the r10 and 010. if it lives up to those which also have cables on them I will be plenty happy. just because I liked the ps1k does not mean I do not appreciate others. yes, I do not think you can compare the ps2ke from reading about the z1r. it is like comparing oranges and tomatoes I gather. in case no one remembered tomato is fruit lol! still hard to compare. anyways hopefully the sony will be a keeper in its own right. it does not matter to me its signature is vastly different. maybe closer to the ps1k(no e). ps2ke is very bright. I do not think sony is veiled though no one said that. just a darker presentation which is welcome. less pain on the head and in ears as well! I will perhaps compare them to the utopia and hd800s among others. I said even the sr009 but that will be brighter with less bass too I am sure. it is probably best to stick within a similar sound at least to be fair. otherwise it is simply too subjective. I just hope they live up to the legendary r10 but it was already said here that they in fact do. I will judge for myself but am rooting for sony. whenever they set out to make high end they nailed it. I do not know how I originally gathered that they were hated by the masses. misread I guess.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #994 of 9,617
any well known dac/amp combos for the z1r? Something i can fund when selling what i have in sig? Someone commented the sound just being too blended with lyr and i kinda agree and now i want to experiment stuff lol

Yeah the forza cable sure looks nice and i have one with my 400i's, the copper cable. It's a thing of beauty, might buy one for Z1R if i end up keeping these.
I have the ZIR with NEOTCH cable
I added
I also bought just weeks ago the HE400I
At $ 219
The original cable is so blocked in its ability
I ordered a special cable that was built for me
Because I have PHONITOR -2
His horizontal port is behind a 2 * XLR female

The cable is Cardas

400I is now operating balanced

Surprised by the sound everything is all good and neutral for an investment of
$ 520 including the new cables

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #996 of 9,617
Can someone recommend a good balanced cable for the Z1R (for a regular 4-pin or dual 3-pin).
I know there is the Kimber Axios, but it's very expensive. Could anyone tell me (even by PM) the actual price I could expect to pay for the Kimber Axios if I wanted one? Thanks.

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #997 of 9,617
Can someone recommend a good balanced cable for the Z1R (for a regular 4-pin or dual 3-pin).
I know there is the Kimber Axios, but it's very expensive. Could anyone tell me (even by PM) the actual price I could expect to pay for the Kimber Axios if I wanted one? Thanks.

Have a look at the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC one.

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #999 of 9,617
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,000 of 9,617
OK, thanks.
I have those on order from Forzaaudioworks.
Noir Hybrid HPC - Cable : Octa hybrid semi-Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 geometry), Headphones : Sony MDR-Z7/MDR-Z1R, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Sony 4.4mm TRRRS Balanced, Splitter : Forza AudioWorks CNC
Price is 254€ plus shipping.

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,001 of 9,617
Hahahahaha I love it! He’ll buy 3 just because it’s amazon :)
Jason, in all respect, the case is good. It protects my Z1R plus my WM1A when I ride my bicycle to work everyday. It sits in my backpack together with my laptop, my raincoats and my food. It gets the job done. And for storing them and other full sized cans why not get a few? The Z1r box, even though it is lovely does not fit my backpack. Same goes for all sennheiser boxes. The DT1990 box is nearly there, but in this case I prefer the original Beyerdynamic DT box, it can also hold the DTwhatever and the WM1A or ZX1.

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,003 of 9,617
Jason, in all respect, the case is good. It protects my Z1R plus my WM1A when I ride my bicycle to work everyday. It sits in my backpack together with my laptop, my raincoats and my food. It gets the job done. And for storing them and other full sized cans why not get a few? The Z1r box, even though it is lovely does not fit my backpack. Same goes for all sennheiser boxes. The DT1990 box is nearly there, but in this case I prefer the original Beyerdynamic DT box, it can also hold the DTwhatever and the WM1A or ZX1.

I don’t doubt the case is great.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,004 of 9,617
I probably would not buy the Gray market ones on Amazon but I don't know. If Amazon approves that it must somehow be legit. As Amazon is extremely strict about what you can sell.

I wonder now if I should have got copper from what I am reading. the shortest ag I ordered was like $3,200. the shortest copper is about $689. Or the hybrid maybe. I do not care about the cost, I just want the headphones to have no limitations other than themselves. As you can see I could not be feeding them with better sources.

Now this may cause trouble or people may agree. Tyll pulled a jerk move to say that. The point is "HE" did not like them. so be it. that hardly means they suck. just not his cup of tea. He did not have to be so forceful about it IMO. I read about 7 outstanding pro reviews one even comparing it to the new Orpheus. That might be a stretch honestly. I do walk away from here feeling this is a high end headphone and not a toy as Tyll made it out to be. I think it will be different but in the same league as the R10 as was confirmed by another member earlier here. If it can hang with the R10 it is at the top of the heap IMO. Especially how they pull this off again with a closed headphone. I am ready to take sony's r&d over Grado's slapped together with a Band Aid design. I do like their sound but the quality is getting old. Also Grado is known to say they have made vast improvements when that is not honestly the case. Maybe not a $1,000 worth for the GS2Ke which has ben discussed here a lot. so I decided not to replace the GS2KE since I prefer the original PS1K anyways. I like variety. I will not be comparing these to any Grado's as they are too different. Even to the focal may not be fair. The Utopia is more exacting and the sony More colored and fun. From what I have read but I will be the judge for myself and only for myself. sure, I will share my opinions but they are only my opinions. I try to tell that to everyone. Decide what you like personally not going by what others have said. this is too subjective. I am sure they will have a good home here. In the very odd event I feel as Tyll does I will simply return them. I am not saying where I bought them because as a very good customer he got me the cable in a day. I still have none of it but should shortly. Then 150 hours burn in before I start listening. After that I will start comparisons. so expect a few weeks here.

My favorite SS amp is only SE. Cullen GCHA. Probably tied with RSA darkstar gain obviously on low. Balanced I will use the Luxmanp750u. I am guessing these do not go with tubes but have wa33 elite just got.

Just wondering if you guys would put cu or ag on these? Would you use some other cable than the axios? Want to make sure I made the right decision for unbridled operation.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,005 of 9,617
I probably would not buy the Gray market ones on Amazon but I don't know. If Amazon approves that it must somehow be legit. As Amazon is extremely strict about what you can sell.

I wonder now if I should have got copper from what I am reading. the shortest ag I ordered was like $3,200. the shortest copper is about $689. Or the hybrid maybe. I do not care about the cost, I just want the headphones to have no limitations other than themselves. As you can see I could not be feeding them with better sources.

Now this may cause trouble or people may agree. Tyll pulled a jerk move to say that. The point is "HE" did not like them. so be it. that hardly means they suck. just not his cup of tea. He did not have to be so forceful about it IMO. I read about 7 outstanding pro reviews one even comparing it to the new Orpheus. That might be a stretch honestly. I do walk away from here feeling this is a high end headphone and not a toy as Tyll made it out to be. I think it will be different but in the same league as the R10 as was confirmed by another member earlier here. If it can hang with the R10 it is at the top of the heap IMO. Especially how they pull this off again with a closed headphone. I am ready to take sony's r&d over Grado's slapped together with a Band Aid design. I do like their sound but the quality is getting old. Also Grado is known to say they have made vast improvements when that is not honestly the case. Maybe not a $1,000 worth for the GS2Ke which has ben discussed here a lot. so I decided not to replace the GS2KE since I prefer the original PS1K anyways. I like variety. I will not be comparing these to any Grado's as they are too different. Even to the focal may not be fair. The Utopia is more exacting and the sony More colored and fun. From what I have read but I will be the judge for myself and only for myself. sure, I will share my opinions but they are only my opinions. I try to tell that to everyone. Decide what you like personally not going by what others have said. this is too subjective. I am sure they will have a good home here. In the very odd event I feel as Tyll does I will simply return them. I am not saying where I bought them because as a very good customer he got me the cable in a day. I still have none of it but should shortly. Then 150 hours burn in before I start listening. After that I will start comparisons. so expect a few weeks here.

My favorite SS amp is only SE. Cullen GCHA. Probably tied with RSA darkstar gain obviously on low. Balanced I will use the Luxmanp750u. I am guessing these do not go with tubes but have wa33 elite just got.

Just wondering if you guys would put cu or ag on these? Would you use some other cable than the axios? Want to make sure I made the right decision for unbridled operation.

You can answer that question on your own. Kimber Kable will allow you to return the cable if you’re not satisfied. It doesn’t matter if you purchase the cable from a dealer or direct from them the policy is the same. So there really isn’t a risk in giving it a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back