Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #856 of 9,617
Some posts moderated. Move along folks.
As we can't seem to move on peacefully without attacking each other, I'm locking this thread.

Edit: thread unlocked now. As before behave pls.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #857 of 9,617
I have one in the serial number in the 4 thousands and another one that's in the serial number in the 3 thousands and the one I purchased for a family member was in the 4 thousands as well. I kind of hope that sony does discontinue this past a certain point but then again there is also a ton of money to be made by mass producing look at the z7 I wonder if the z1r will have equal amounts of units to the z7 only time can tell. I do want to sell one of the two I currently own in the future if these discontinue it will be a awesome collectors piece.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #858 of 9,617
Nobody knows how long they will keep the model up, they're kinda moody on past flagships.
But for me, them keeping on production for at least some time is ideal, as I want to save up for one :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #859 of 9,617
Also, glad this thread got unlocked again haha now I hope we all can chill down a bit...

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #860 of 9,617
I have a feeling they will keep these maybe till 10,000? That's my guess. I wrote these off when I received my eikons but using them in the gym that last few days and just being rough with them made me love these even more. They held up mind you I had to wipe the sweat off but the fact that this hasn't given me issues was great. For weights however I just took them off and put them in my bag lol. I want to say that I think this leather ear pad will be able to withstand a good beating. Since its leather it's not gonna go bad on you like other earpads. My oppo pm 3 didn't last a month in the gym without me having to drive down to the oppo store to get a replacement ear pad lol. The Sony's are a beast man. No other way I can put it.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #862 of 9,617
remember folks, please don't destroy the great Japanese product-pride, or all Z1r threads will be locked (sooner or later), you don't self-pride, you mute
Yes, you are right, will do.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #863 of 9,617
Listening to the Z1R with the Kimber Axios cable for an upcoming review and I am quite impressed with not just the sonics, but the build quality is outstanding! The stock cable is quite mediocre with regards to sound quality, the Sony-Kimber cable is a good upgrade and really helps even things out (though maybe a bit too much in the treble region in terms of a reduced presence), but the Axios really hits along the entire FR range. I also have an Axios cable for the Focal Utopias that I will be including, but so far, colour me impressed!

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #864 of 9,617
Listening to the Z1R with the Kimber Axios cable for an upcoming review and I am quite impressed with not just the sonics, but the build quality is outstanding! The stock cable is quite mediocre with regards to sound quality, the Sony-Kimber cable is a good upgrade and really helps even things out (though maybe a bit too much in the treble region in terms of a reduced presence), but the Axios really hits along the entire FR range. I also have an Axios cable for the Focal Utopias that I will be including, but so far, colour me impressed!

What's your favorite closed back thus far? I'm not a believer in cables in terms of sound quality but you do know your stuff with your awesome reviews I remember referring to your best portable closed back list for some time and I got the pm3 because of it so thanks for that. Now have you listened to the zmf eikon?

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #865 of 9,617
What's your favorite closed back thus far? I'm not a believer in cables in terms of sound quality but you do know your stuff with your awesome reviews I remember referring to your best portable closed back list for some time and I got the pm3 because of it so thanks for that. Now have you listened to the zmf eikon?

With the H2 and DAVE, the cable changes with the Kimber/Sony and then the Axios are quite noticeable...more of a testament to how mediocre the stock cables are.

For closed-back desktop headphones, the Z1Rs (especially with the Axios cable) are my current favourites. But the LCD-XC (2016 edition) and Ether Flow C headphones are quite special too. For portable headphones, you are correct, my Portable Closed Headphone listing really has that covered for me.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #866 of 9,617
With the H2 and DAVE, the cable changes with the Kimber/Sony and then the Axios are quite noticeable...more of a testament to how mediocre the stock cables are.

For closed-back desktop headphones, the Z1Rs (especially with the Axios cable) are my current favourites. But the LCD-XC (2016 edition) and Ether Flow C headphones are quite special too. For portable headphones, you are correct, my Portable Closed Headphone listing really has that covered for me.

Now that you mention it the z1r cables remind me of the old Hoover vacuum cord hahaha

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #868 of 9,617

I am assuming you are referring to the all copper axios cable?

Like you I have had experience with all of these cables. I purchased the Sony Kimber collaboration 3 meter axios cable on an Amazon warehouse deal. It is an improvement over the stock cable however the official Kimber Axios is in a completely different league. Build quality and sound quality are significantly better than the Sony Kimber collaboration.

I had the chance to try the Kimber Axios silver copper hybrid however I felt that it changed character of the Z1R too much
and made it into something that it was not designed to originally be.

I had a similar experience using an Axios silver copper hybrid with my Utopias. I felt that the headphone lost some of its grunt and became a bit soft and indecisive. The Wireworld all silver on the Utopias did the same thing - softening the presentation even more than the Axios hybrid.

I guess in the end I am an all Copper kind of guy!

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #869 of 9,617
Anybody knows anywhere in NY or NJ where I can re-terminate my cable to 4.4mm pentaconn?
And please on DIY advice, I have not a clue about things like that nor do I have the necessary tools.
Thanks.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #870 of 9,617
Today I had the chance to listen to the SONY MDR1000X nc headphone. Ran some of my usual test tracks including some nice Bass guitar and some bass drums. I was instantly reminded of the Z7. One comparison, but only in active mode, they sounded like 80% Z7. The overall sound was the same to me. Absent was the rumble on the ZX1000 and the details were kinda grainy compared. This is the way SONY feels to tune their headphones, same idea is found on the Z1r again on a higher level. Sony obviously created its own sound Universe instead of striving for neutral. I would characterise it as very touching and alive, bringing me to the very core of the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back