Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,237 of 9,631
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,239 of 9,631
I honestly think that he1000 and even lcd3 are better, but i already had and problem with reliability
i want to enjoy an headphone that i can drive easily and without been anxious they will broken

I would say the Z1R sound sig is a bit too much off the normal for them to called the best ever headphone but if one digs this sound sig (I do) they are truly great

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #2,241 of 9,631
I honestly think that he1000 and even lcd3 are better, but i already had and problem with reliability
i want to enjoy an headphone that i can drive easily and without been anxious they will broken
Yes, subjectively they are the best headphones ever, for me, at the moment, in relation to what I have heard, with the equipment I use.

Maybe they are not normal to be called best, but they sound both exemplary and normal to me?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,242 of 9,631
they are not showing up on sony uk site anymore??? discontinued??

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #2,244 of 9,631
they are not showing up on sony uk site anymore??? discontinued??

I think all the ES products have been gone from Sony UK for a while and Amazon UK went from shipping in 1-3 months to unavailable

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #2,245 of 9,631
Is ES signature products?

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #2,246 of 9,631
Dec 3, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #2,247 of 9,631
I am considering the Z1R to replace Mr Speakers Ether C closed. I cannot audition due to logistics of where I live, so really want to get it right first time not trying before buying. The Ether C were very transparent & musical, but lack in the bass response, so if the Z1R are in the same ballpark musically with good bass they will hopefully suit my requirements. Chord Hugo 2 will be driving them.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #2,248 of 9,631
I am considering the Z1R to replace Mr Speakers Ether C closed. I cannot audition due to logistics of where I live, so really want to get it right first time not trying before buying. The Ether C were very transparent & musical, but lack in the bass response, so if the Z1R are in the same ballpark musically with good bass they will hopefully suit my requirements. Chord Hugo 2 will be driving them.

Coloration is warm, but they also have a sparkle, the sparkle doesn't render fast attacks and decays totally accurately... as a non professional digital music composer it took me about 70hrs to discover this, so not obvious.
From my perspective I think they're perfect bar that sparkle at 8~10khz, and their size... The sparkle is nice too, but w/ some tones, specifically Trap High Hats it can sound a little fatiguing... so if you're not listening to tss, tss, tss... you'll probably never know
There isn't a perfect HP for everybody, and peoples hearing changes over time... but they're the best I've heard and IMO orders of magnitude better than anything Sennhisser has released.

Oh it also pissed me off that Sony said they produced their best ever HP w/ no compromise but then said you could spend an extra US$280 on a cable to improve sound... What does no compromise mean SONY!

I started out using them balanced w/ a Sony Walkman, but I didn't really like the Walk sound, so now they're mostly connected to my Digitone... but I'd prefer a much shorter 1/4" cable... like the balanced one.
To me they sound best w/ my 300B tube amp and the sparkle renders better, and the frequencies seems to blend like magic w/ no discernible troughs/crests... highly recommended.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,250 of 9,631
Amazon uk are selling them. Why has sony withdrawn them from the sony uk website i'm confused by all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back