1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony Z1R....listening impressions only

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Kcharng, Nov 4, 2016.
Tags:
First

Back
120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129
131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140
Next

Last
  1. Redcarmoose
    What I mean is maybe you have friends elseware which could bring you one. It probably depends on if the person is willing to make a warranty free purchase. Remember audiophiles put up with a lot.

2. nc8000 Contributor
    Russ Andrews sell the Kimber Axios in UK and are autherized dealers

Sp12er3 and Quasimodosbelfry like this.
  3. Redcarmoose
    Perfect! Head-Fi in action.

Cheers.

Quasimodosbelfry likes this.
  4. Soundizer

Yes

5. pietcux
    I got mine on Ebay as you said. The seller is in Korea. Sure no real chance on warranty. But the cable is buit like a tank. I trust in that. It is a pity that Sony does not sell this directly inside the EU. But seems we are not buying enough stuff from them.

6. Hanafuda
    I'll be watching to read your thoughts on this if you do take that plunge, Redcarmoose. Cuz $800 for a cable is a hard pill for this guy to swallow. That's literally a choice between a cable, or (for example) the Campfire Cascade. Or any number of other toys ... eight hundred dollars. (Of course, I'd have said the same thing about the Z1R and a $1200 Walkman if you'd asked me a year ago.) But I am, up to a point, a 'you get what you pay for' believer.

7. nc8000 Contributor
    I have not heard the Sony Kimber, only the Axios CU that I have and I would not say that the difference is even 7% from the stock cable, but whatever the difference is (much smaller) it makes it worth it for me and not only the sound but the look and feel and joy of ownership. However if I didn’t have the money I’m sure I would have been happy enough and enjoyed the phones with just the stock cable

Sp12er3 likes this.
  8. Redcarmoose
    Yes, it’s tough, but the value is the Sony MUC-B20SB1........so it’s almost the way mid-fi is such a value and top-tier has the marginal improvements. The people that go Axios are getting insurance in a way.

But we have different personality buying profiles too. Money or better, money to spend does not guarantee a person would buy the Axios. Some members put all their eggs in one basket (one system). As you say, that money could be allocated to a new IEM, completely left field of getting the Z1R to sound it’s best. Funny you mention new IEM, as I myself am saving for one. The Axios is this strange “what-if” curiosity; and we know what curiosity did to the cat.

Of course it’s totally worth it (to you), you don’t have to defend yourself, we are on the $2000 Z1R headphone thread! Lol

That’s the thing maybe the reality is that the Sony MUC-B20SB1 has the greatest change over the provided cables? Where the Axios is expensive because it’s hard to get the last inkling of improvement; whatever that % of real improvement is?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Sp12er3 and Aslshark like this.
  9. buzzlulu
    Not commenting on whether you should buy the Axios or not over the Sony (I have both) however from a standpoint of build quality, construction, quality of materials including wire, conductors and insulation, and tactile sensation - there is no comparison between the two. The Axios wipes the floor with the Sony.

These are the areas where you are paying for

Sp12er3 and Aslshark like this.
  10. Redcarmoose

Is a big improvement over stock, or the Sony MUC-B20SB1?

Which is used for the wipping of the floor?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  11. buzzlulu
    The comparison is between Kimber Axios and Sony/Kimber collaboration version

The Sony Kimber, imho, only has in common one thing with the made in USA Kimber - the braiding pattern.
    Everything else is different - materials, cu conductors etc. as listed in my previous post

12. Redcarmoose
    Cheers!

13. Rchandra
    I spent time with the hd820 and I have to say that the z1r is definitely more fun and relaxing where I feel the hd820 is more cleaner yet less colored sounding. I definitely would pick the z1r over the hd820.anyone else hear the hd820 for compairsons

Sp12er3, Bern2 and philo50 like this.
  14. FangJoker
    I'm debating about selling my z1r. But now I'm curious about the axios cable. Dont get me wrong, I like the z1r, but I'm liking my z5 more except for the fit. My ears must be weird. I'm finding that I like iems more than full sized cans except for the comfort. I really need to go to a cam jam and listen to everything.

15. Redcarmoose
    I have the Z5 too, but come back to the Z1R for serious listening. Your brain can get tricked into thinking that IEMs are everything, and they do have their own special qualities. But there is no IEM in the world that can have the skills of the Z1R; it’s just not obtainable. If you hold on to your Z1R it will keep you from rebuying them if you discover this is just a phase.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the Z5s. But there will be a day when they just don’t sound like you think they sound. They are kind of far away sounding and in some ways are surpassed by groups of IEMs today. The Z5s are small sounding to me really. Funny to write that as at one time I thought they were huge sounding? So goes this game.

Aslshark and larzy like this.
First

Back
120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129
131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140
Next

Last