Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,921 of 2,298
Deliveries with Airmail are apparently rather random recently with Hong Kong, mine arrived today - over a month later!!! But AJ are good to deal with and I would use them again.

Very brief impressions as my Fiio M11 has been boxed off to be shipped to its new owner (leaving me source-less for now!)

I'm rather impressed in short - that classic Sony tuning. I agree with @Redcarmoose about wide bore tips and in general with his comments in his review, this is a baby Z1R in many ways. It is also better tuned than the Z5, better balanced - @RikudouGoku comments on that was what convinced me (thanks mate). It doesn't have that same stereo-esque soundstage. Didn't listen to any really slamming music, so one for another time.

Actually really good synergy with the Fiio M11 - it will do well with neutral/brighter sources (and great audiophile 'budget' setup with the two!). Not a fan of the M11 with the IER-Z1R, which is why it's being sold. I have the W2 on order, when that arrives I'm intrigued to see how that pairs, probably really well - @Scuba Devils can let us know with that synergy!

That's it for now.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,922 of 2,298
Deliveries with Airmail are apparently rather random recently with Hong Kong, mine arrived today - over a month later!!! But AJ are good to deal with and I would use them again.

Very brief impressions as my Fiio M11 has been boxed off to be shipped to its new owner (leaving me source-less for now!)

I'm rather impressed in short - that classic Sony tuning. I agree with @Redcarmoose about wide bore tips and in general with his comments in his review, this is a baby Z1R in many ways. It is also better tuned than the Z5, better balanced - @RikudouGoku comments on that was what convinced me (thanks mate). It doesn't have that same stereo-esque soundstage. Didn't listen to any really slamming music, so one for another time.

Actually really good synergy with the Fiio M11 - it will do well with neutral/brighter sources (and great audiophile 'budget' setup with the two!). Not a fan of the M11 with the IER-Z1R, which is why it's being sold. I have the W2 on order, when that arrives I'm intrigued to see how that pairs, probably really well - @Scuba Devils can let us know with that synergy!

That's it for now.

Congrats, finally!

I've not yet tried the N3 actually with the W2, must do.

Did a tour of my IEMs in various combinations over the last week, arriving back to my undisputed favourite pairing, NW-WM1A & IER-M9... again, that Sony tuning!

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,923 of 2,298
Congrats, finally!

I've not yet tried the N3 actually with the W2, must do.

Did a tour of my IEMs in various combinations over the last week, arriving back to my undisputed favourite pairing, NW-WM1A & IER-M9... again, that Sony tuning!
Ironic it finally arrives and I can't listen to it :smile:

Let us know about the W2 combo - the N3 must be pretty darn good too with the WM1A.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,924 of 2,298
Just bought my Sony N3AP + Smoky Litz 2.5mm balanced cable. So happy to join the club as of today. I have not heard of Sony N3AP and nobody recommended me this IEM on this forum when I asked for recommendations until I went to a shop and told them my sound signature preference. Got them at $415 (N3AP = $296, Cable = $119).

The N3AP with stock cable is not to my liking as it's mids are slightly recessed. After changing to the Smoky Litz cable, the mids are brought forward and now it is my ideal sound signature. Love the Sony N3AP so much as it is light as a feather and the design is not loud. People who don't know about this IEM will never suspect such good sound coming from such a small, delicate earbud with slim, fragile cables. I tried changing to the Spinfit C100 tips but it is too airy and loses a lot of bass. Maybe because it does not fit my ears well. I find the stock tips have better fit and seal.

Does wearing it straight down have better sound? My cable has a fixed ear loop for over-the-ear wearing but I see on this forum a lot of people wearing it straight down. I'm nervous trying to take out the rubber sleeve.

It is burning-in at the moment so I will do more tip rolling after it is done. For those who recommend wide-bore tips, what's the exact dimension to buy? I see tips with 3mm to 7mm inner diameter.

20210330_223002.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,926 of 2,298
Hi guys, anybody compare how to sound N3 model against M7,if you use Sony ZX-300? Do you feel comfortable if use XBA-N3 over ear? Thanks in advance :)
Cant answer your first question, but I use the N3 over ear and have no problems with fit nor comfort.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,927 of 2,298
Hi guys, anybody compare how to sound N3 model against M7,if you use Sony ZX-300? Do you feel comfortable if use XBA-N3 over ear? Thanks in advance :)
M7 has less bass and a way more analytical tunning, mids are a bit more forward and treble has a fairly good extension

Soundstage for my taste is way better in the n3, though separation m7 has it hands down, fit its a nightmare with m7 since the nonvented shells are a wee tricky, n3 as a over ear works like a charm, i use it with my dunu lyre and my personal favorite fiio lc3 5b (its a comfort thing rather than sound)

N3 its a better all rounder, m7 has a more sit down and pay attention vibe. Though both are great

By the way, when used over ear i recommend swapping headphones sides, using left on the right side and right on the left side, cable has a bit more space to plug in against your ear and they look way better

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,928 of 2,298
Hey guys, I was interested in these on release but never bought a pair. Now I'm seeing they are still rated highly and I am very tempted.

Do these fit well? They are a strange shape but they appear to fit quite well from the videos I've seen. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP and I really like the fit, they fit quite deep and the body of the IEM rests against my ear comfortably... are these similar?

Do these cause pressure when inserted? I'm guessing not as they are vented.

Is the difference between the XBA N3 and XBA N3AP just the cable? The AP has a microphone, correct?

Finally, where is the cheapest place to get them from? I'm based in the UK. I am currently looking at Ebay and they are around £240+, that's obviously before import duty and tax.

Cheers!

May 3, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,929 of 2,298
Hey guys, I was interested in these on release but never bought a pair. Now I'm seeing they are still rated highly and I am very tempted.

Do these fit well? They are a strange shape but they appear to fit quite well from the videos I've seen. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP and I really like the fit, they fit quite deep and the body of the IEM rests against my ear comfortably... are these similar?

Is the difference between the XBA N3 and XBA N3AP just the cable? The AP has a microphone, correct?

Finally, where is the cheapest place to get them from? I'm based in the UK. I am currently looking at Ebay and they are around £240+, that's obviously before import duty and tax.

Cheers!
Fit is fine - I wear them over ears and they’re good. Cable is pants, honestly pick up one of the cheaper rated ones off Ali. I’m in the U.K. and got mine from AccessoryJack, which was cheaper

May 3, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,930 of 2,298

Cheers!
XBA-N3BP is another which has 4.4mm balanced connection and no microphone.
3DD54985-0DFE-4C52-A526-987AD1EE1D71.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,931 of 2,298

Cheers!

For me, these are the most comfortable IEMs I own. I like the simple fit (not over ear) and ease of putting on and off, no fiddling with over ear cables (I wear glasses). There is no pressure when inserted. I get a good fit with the M hybrid (silicon) ear tips. I have both cables and the 3.5mm version does have a mic and single button remote, which I actually use occasionally. I purchased from Accessoryjack as well.

May 4, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,932 of 2,298
For me, these are the most comfortable IEMs I own. I like the simple fit (not over ear) and ease of putting on and off, no fiddling with over ear cables (I wear glasses). There is no pressure when inserted. I get a good fit with the M hybrid (silicon) ear tips. I have both cables and the 3.5mm version does have a mic and single button remote, which I actually use occasionally. I purchased from Accessoryjack as well.

This is one of the reasons I like the look of them, I had trouble in the past with over ears due to my glasses. My ears don't really stick out so I didn't have much to anchor the cable to, for want of a better phrase.

Do the shells of these rest against your ears for secure fit or do they kinda float?

What are you general feelings of the earphones? Do they sound as good as they should for the price? I see they are held in high regard in ranking lists.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,933 of 2,298
This is one of the reasons I like the look of them, I had trouble in the past wits... My ears don't really stick out so I didn't have much to anchor the cable to, for want of a better phrase.

Do the shells of these rest against your ears for secure fit or do they kinda float?

I guess I would say they pretty much stick out and "float" for me with the eartips I use. The shell isn't really in my ear or hooked on anything. I do get a secure fit and good seal (at least for normal activities) and I don't have to readjust. This obviously may vary based on your ears and tip selection. They are lighter weight than my other iems which probably helps. I do use the clip to keep the cables from pulling down all the time or snagging.

Edit:
"What are you general feelings of the earphones? Do they sound as good as they should for the price? I see they are held in high regard in ranking lists."

Different people have different preferences. I like dynamic driver (DD) bass so the N3 work well for me. I also have IER-M9 and actually prefer the N3 for most of my listening. I'm sure part of that is the form factor and comfort, but that's part of the experience. I have actually been considering picking up another pair for backup. I don't have your ears, but I believe they are easily worth the price.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,935 of 2,298
Much appreciate guys for your advice:)I purchased N3AP from AccessoryJack. last one. Still on the way. I looking for balance cable for my N3.Anybody use a Sony Kimber Kable 4.4?Very good reputation for this company, used speaker cables.,quality and sound great. If it so how do you fill, is it comfortable if use over ear? Is it heavy? Your advice would be great. Thanks again:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back