Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #1,471 of 2,298
It may depend on your type of listening - what I mean is if you are commuting and often listen in noisy environments you may be better off saving your money, if you listen in a quiet place and really focus on hearing at a deeper level to notice the clarity, detail and texture and separation eg that a higher quality iem will offer then you may want to treat yourself. Value for money is a difficult call of opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #1,473 of 2,298
Anyone try/buy FOTM Tin Audio P1 vs N1/N3 ?

Funny you should ask, and yes, I have the TIN HiFi P1s right here and they're bloody good. I'm still comparing them with the N3s but will update later.

One thing you should be aware of though is that the planar technology used for the P1s inevitably means they are somewhat less sensitive than conventional driver technology. Nowhere near as bad as the Wharfedale Isodynamics I had at one time that only worked if you attached them to a power amp, but they are a few dB down from the N3s. I can drive them happily with my ZX300 DAP, FiiO BTR3 and OnePlus 6, although the latter is close to its max setting.

Sonically they are excellent.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #1,474 of 2,298
Funny you should ask, and yes, I have the TIN HiFi P1s right here and they're bloody good. I'm still comparing them with the N3s but will update later.

One thing you should be aware of though is that the planar technology used for the P1s inevitably means they are somewhat less sensitive than conventional driver technology. Nowhere near as bad as the Wharfedale Isodynamics I had at one time that only worked if you attached them to a power amp, but they are a few dB down from the N3s. I can drive them happily with my ZX300 DAP, FiiO BTR3 and OnePlus 6, although the latter is close to its max setting.

Sonically they are excellent.
Great, I'd be interested in the sub-bass linearity/extension and where the mids sit, and if the tonality is cooler than N1/N3...and any treble fatigue/dominance you experience.

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,475 of 2,298
Great, I'd be interested in the sub-bass linearity/extension and where the mids sit, and if the tonality is cooler than N1/N3...and any treble fatigue/dominance you experience.

I'm not sure I'm expert enough to analyse things at that level! But I will do my best to give you a subjective view on differences. It's like my ability to analyse wines: I can tell the difference between good and not so good, and I can assess how much I like them, but I can't do the "...with hints of blackberry..." stuff. :grimacing:

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,476 of 2,298
I recently received my secondhand N3 and got myself a Linsoul HC-08 cable - after owning and loving the A3 and Z5 (but selling them due to issues with the fit and design) it is a pleasure to have that Sony sound I love back in my life.

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,477 of 2,298
I am selling a like-new pair of Sony XBA-N3AP.
I can also sell the Mee Audio MMCX balanced cable.
If you are interested, please contact me :)

IMG_20190824_153049.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,479 of 2,298
I am not sure if it has been mentioned before or not, but what meterial is the supplied cable on the N3AP?
I assume you mean the wiring? I think it is just a thin copper wiring they use, someone may correct me?

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #1,480 of 2,298
The standard cable is low quality.
Consider also that there is the microphone with the button.
When I switched to the Mee Audio MMCX cable (oxygen free copper) I felt differences in the sound: it is more and more rich, deeper bass, they propagate for long time (longer decay) and the sound is more vibrating to my ears.
I strongly recommend to change the cable to these gems of Sony N3.

PS: Days ago I sold my beloved N3 and now I have only the Mee Audio cable for sale, if someone is interested please contact me, thanks.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,481 of 2,298
The standard cable is low quality.
Consider also that there is the microphone with the button.
When I switched to the Mee Audio MMCX cable (oxygen free copper) I felt differences in the sound: it is more and more rich, deeper bass, they propagate for long time (longer decay) and the sound is more vibrating to my ears.
I strongly recommend to change the cable to these gems of Sony N3.

PS: Days ago I sold my beloved N3 and now I have only the Mee Audio cable for sale, if someone is interested please contact me, thanks.
I also wanted to add that even a cheap upgrade cable of thicker/higher grade wiring will produce a better sound. I upgraded the cable for my XBA-A3 and XBA-Z5 and the results were definitely noticeable. There are a lot of flat out negative opinions about cable upgrades but it seems the thin stock cables are a bottle neck and you can get a much improved sound for a fairly low price.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #1,482 of 2,298
I partially agree because at first I ordered a cheap copper cable from AliExpress (mmcx, 4.4mm balanced) and I appreciated the difference.
Then I bought the Mee Audio MMCX balanced cable and the difference is more than clear.
I never detached it because it makes the sound fuller, richer and more opened.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,483 of 2,298
Thanks to all of you. I currently can't cash out on the mee audio cable perhaps. As I am looking for a cheaper alternative, can you guys suggest something below 50$ from aliexpress? Should I go for a spc cable or a copper cable?

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #1,484 of 2,298
Thanks to all of you. I currently can't cash out on the mee audio cable perhaps. As I am looking for a cheaper alternative, can you guys suggest something below 50$ from aliexpress? Should I go for a spc cable or a copper cable?
IMO,for me multi-core cables get a bit too heavy and tend to try to pull the n3 out of my years. I'm using this and it's even on sale now https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955541518.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f3a74c4dtJ8VN9. It is pre-molded but it took me just couple of minutes to remove the transparent heatshrink near the connectors and it's one of the lighter and better cables I've heard. That bead used for a chin slider is useless though

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,485 of 2,298
I bought my N3 without cable and ended up with a Linsoul HC-08 - I can't comment on the improvement over stock, but it is a nice tangle-free cable that is fairly lightweight but still has a slight downward tug on the N3 in your ear. Could be remedied with a clip to take some of the weight off or you could go for a lower core/strand one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back