Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,381 of 2,298
A shame it is so hard to come by Sony's triple conforts. I dropped one of mines in the street, and I ****ing searched the whole avenue to find it, and I did. Had it been a set of Complies or anything more common to find, I'd just buy a new set haha.
Happens to me too, I just lucky that I still able to found the missing piece. I tried many of my unused tips but unable to get a good seal. I am still waiting for my order from japan through ebay just to make sure that I have a backup just in case it got lost again.

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,382 of 2,298
Then the Sony's. To be honest the N3s are not my cup of tea, too bright and hightoned for me, but the N1, yum! Whomping bass, dark power and throbbing middle with clear and outstanding treble tones..I want :) Birthday coming.. Wife feeling generous, me hopeful. :wink:
Couldn't agree more, bro.. N1 is definitely better than N3 for my taste.. :)

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,383 of 2,298
Interesting, I'm pretty treble sensitive and just found N3 more 'extended/sparkly' than N1 in the upper regions.

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #1,384 of 2,298
Hey fellas, haven't posted on here for a while. Recent work changes have me trading in a 2.1 desktop audio setup back to some IEMs. Very intrigued with the N3s based upon the extensive research I've done on them. A buddy at work was swearing by the Tin Audio T2s, so I picked up a pair of T3s and that's just not getting the job done. My last higher end set of IEMs was the Westone W3s, which I wish I never sold now! Anyway, I have two questions. First, anyone ever compare the W3s to the N3s and do they have somewhat of a same ballparkish sound signature. And, two, being based in the U.S., where would be the best place to pick these up? I have an aversion to Amazon and looks like there are a lot of importers from Japan selling these on ebay. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,385 of 2,298
And, two, being based in the U.S., where would be the best place to pick these up? I have an aversion to Amazon and looks like there are a lot of importers from Japan selling these on ebay. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

In the past I've imported a handful of IEMs from well rated JP based sellers on eBay with no significant issues- once or twice they've looked more like 'open box return' than the listed 'new' (did not attempt returns).

Downside of importing, there is some risk of customs fees. Also since the N3 is not officially sold in the US if you have any issues there likely won't be any support or return policy (for instance with the totally adequate but cheapo feeling stock cable). Current ~260ish price seems fair athough not rock bottom (exchange rates- once were briefly ~$220).

Also suggest picking up a set of wide bore eartips if you order... not a necessity, but some people here mention preferring slightly brighter sound w/ them.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,386 of 2,298
I bought iSine 10 and I confirm iSine 10 is not better than N3AP...thankfully, I paid only $50 for my iSine 10. I think that's how much it actually worth.

Etymotic ER4SR is on par with N3AP or better if you pair it with a powerful amp.
Here's how I rank IEMs based on accuracy of their sounds:

0. Etymotic ER4SR
1. Sony N3AP
2. Sony XBA A3 and iSine 10
3. MEE Audio P1
4. Sony MDR EX600
5. 1More Quad and iBasso IT01
6. MEE Audio Planamic
7. Sony XBA A2
8. CRAP IEMs - Audio Technica E40, MEE Audio P2 (real crap, don't buy this), Audio Technica LS50i, Sennheiser IE60

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,389 of 2,298
I bought iSine 10 and I confirm iSine 10 is not better than N3AP...thankfully, I paid only $50 for my iSine 10. I think that's how much it actually worth.

Etymotic ER4SR is on par with N3AP or better if you pair it with a powerful amp.

0. Etymotic ER4SR
1. Sony N3AP
3. MEE Audio P1
4. Sony MDR EX600
6. MEE Audio Planamic
7. Sony XBA A2
8. CRAP IEMs - Audio Technica E40, MEE Audio P2 (real crap, don't buy this), Audio Technica LS50i, Sennheiser IE60

Did you have the Cypher cable for iSine? By most reports I've read they don't sound right without the EQ it provides (design philosophy was somethign like: make the lowest distortion driver they can, and then tune it with EQ)

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,390 of 2,298

0. Etymotic ER4SR
1. Sony N3AP
3. MEE Audio P1
4. Sony MDR EX600
6. MEE Audio Planamic
7. Sony XBA A2

In my experience paired with WM1A, my ranking are the ff.:
1. Sony N3BP
2. Ibasso IT03
3. Sony XBA A3 (Already sold)
4. KZ ZS6

On the way is Final E5000, let's see if it can tap the N3 which is the best for me at the moment. I like it more than my HD600/650 and Jot/DV 336SE desktop setup.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,391 of 2,298
Thanks for that review. Now I can skip iBasso IT03. IT01 is nice but it's on par with MEE Audio P1 which is just an ok IEM.
N3AP is very close to HD650... when I pair N3 with balanced cable and output, it sounds incredible... especially with Pono dual 3.5mm balanced.

and you can totally skip iSine 10, 1More Quad. They sound muddy and blurry compared to N3.
In my opinion, they're total waste of money... not even good for casual listening.
A3 has wider sound stage but very fake bass.. it sounded so fake to me. I sold both A3 and A2.

Etymotic Research ER4SR has some nicer details to offer. Other than that, I'm interested in trying IE800s and XBA Z5.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #1,392 of 2,298
Did you have the Cypher cable for iSine? By most reports I've read they don't sound right without the EQ it provides (design philosophy was somethign like: make the lowest distortion driver they can, and then tune it with EQ)

I tried their Reveal VST plugin.. the result is not that different. Honestly, it's still behind N3. iSine 10 has wide and holographic image but it's still not realistic... when compared to N3, it's not detailed enough. I think iSine 10 has very blurry and muddy sound signature just like 1More Quad.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #1,393 of 2,298
I think IER-M9 is a good "neutralisation" of the N3... loses on the deep bass, but seemingly more even response IMO, share's n3's slightly dark but detailed sound & good presentation.

Don't think I could ever recommend something that expensive* over N3,ER4,MD+w/IEMatch,FD01mod- but, along with Andromeda, for people w/ money to burn maybe worth the premium.

*(price isn't THAT bad if you can get it from Japan, especially secondhand)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,395 of 2,298
In my experience paired with WM1A, my ranking are the ff.:
1. Sony N3BP
2. Ibasso IT03
3. Sony XBA A3 (Already sold)
4. KZ ZS6

On the way is Final E5000, let's see if it can tap the N3 which is the best for me at the moment. I like it more than my HD600/650 and Jot/DV 336SE desktop setup.
Already received my E5000, initial observation is that it is darker and bassy than N3 but the detail retrieval is great than in N3 and so is the soundstage, I just notice that it is very hard to drive so DAP is a prerequisite to drive it. Now it becomes my number 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back