Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,096 of 2,298
Hi, I have said before that the N1s have a dark sound with recessed and smooth treble. However, after listening to my Andromedas with foam tips, it made me feel that the N1s have very harsh highs. The N1s have lots of bass, but not much subbass rumble too. Or maybe because the Andromedas are just too good

That's how it should be lol. It should be the quality scales with the price or why even spend it. It's good the Andros make your N1's sound like $#%^ after you listen to both haha :)

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,097 of 2,298
Are you trolling? you're comparing a $1K 5 BA IEM with a $200 single BA set. That said, the bass on the N1/3 will kill the Andro as there's no way the andro can move the same air mass with 2 BA driver vs a Dynamic. As to the high and mid, I'll put my Z5 up against the Andro any day!

The N1 isn't a single BA set, its a 1+1 hybrid. You are saying it's ridiculous to compare a $1K IEM with a $200 one, but you're doing exactly that, aren't you?

The andros have better bass in terms of texture, speed, accuracy, separation, and most importantly, they go wayyy lower. Sure, the sonys have more bass quantity, but id take lower extension over quantity any day. To me, I feel the Z5 has an edgier, more energetic sound. I feel that the Andros have much smoother treble than the Z5s.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,098 of 2,298
Hi, I have said before that the N1s have a dark sound with recessed and smooth treble. However, after listening to my Andromedas with foam tips, it made me feel that the N1s have very harsh highs. The N1s have lots of bass, but not much subbass rumble too. Or maybe because the Andromedas are just too good

Your gear upstream ? You can't really get down to DB8 without knowing that...earphones do not just dangle in the air and play themselves and some IEMs transform so much depending on what is behind them based on synergy.
Surprised how many say X or Y is not good in this area, and don't mention or list their gear in their profile that is behind it...just like in the LCD2c thread recently where someone was griping about treble quality and running them off a MOJO.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,099 of 2,298
Your gear upstream ? You can't really get down to DB8 without knowing that...earphones do not just dangle in the air and play themselves and some IEMs transform so much depending on what is behind them based on synergy.
Surprised how many say X or Y is not good in this area, and don't mention or list their gear in their profile that is behind it...just like in the LCD2c thread recently where someone was griping about treble quality and running them off a MOJO.
So right. To the point where yesterday I was comparing two headphones and when switching sources they literally swapped certain qualities. For instance one was more resolving from a certain source, the other gave less detail, and vice versa.

Synergy remains strangely underrated in our hobby. Having a good source and good cans or iems is not enough. There's a reason some of the most expensive pieces of head-gear from the likes of Hifiman or Sennheiser include both as an ensemble.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,100 of 2,298
Also, something as daft (but worthwhile) as tip-rolling also changes the emphasis and quality of these quite a lot.

Dark IEMs with rolled off treble = sponge tips right ?
Then about 5 different varations of that with different tips I've used ranging from
solidified and extended bass,
the treble going down or up,
treble more ragged,
treble "just right" - neither too forward or back etc etc in the subjective exp. of tip-rolling.

So which tips are you using - stock ones...then which ones of those, or spinfits etc etc ?

Anyway, putting a $1k IEM against an underdog at $200 is really pointless. Price class against price class is more on the point.
N1/N3 designers went for sheer musicality and immersiveness over across-the-board technical proficiency I'd say.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,101 of 2,298
The N1 isn't a single BA set, its a 1+1 hybrid. You are saying it's ridiculous to compare a $1K IEM with a $200 one, but you're doing exactly that, aren't you?

The andros have better bass in terms of texture, speed, accuracy, separation, and most importantly, they go wayyy lower. Sure, the sonys have more bass quantity, but id take lower extension over quantity any day. To me, I feel the Z5 has an edgier, more energetic sound. I feel that the Andros have much smoother treble than the Z5s.

What I'm saying is that you're comparing a high end IEM with an entry level. The difference will obviously be big (and they better be as otherwise the Andro is the biggest hoax in the world). The Z5 at least is a mid/high end IEM and although it's half of the Andro's price. part of that is due to the larger volume production compare to the small volume boutique style production of the Andro.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,102 of 2,298
$200.. Entry level?!?!

Bl**dy 'ell. What's the world come to?!!! :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,104 of 2,298
Wonder why the N3 doesn't get any love on head-fi (apart from this thread). Barely see it recommended as an IEM in suggestions threads. However from reviews elsewhere it appears it's quite well priced for a midfi IEM that offers good sound quality. Would this be comparable to a Westone W30 or Periodic Audio Be?

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,105 of 2,298
Would this be comparable to a Westone W30 or Periodic Audio Be?

I have both the W30 and N3. N3 is to my ears better than W30 in several aspects: comfort (much easier fit), detail retrieval and of course the bass (N3 goes lower and is better defined).

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,106 of 2,298
Anyone find any particulary excellent eartips outside the stock tips set ?

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,109 of 2,298
Spinfit if you have odd angle ear canals. JVS Spiral Dot for their wide sound channel that offers minimal sound coloring. That said, the Sony triple comfort is great and it's Sony's reference for what the N3 should sound, it's just a pain to find replacements (ebay).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back