Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Nov 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,097 of 3,257
  Hi everyone, finally received my H3 from Japan 3 days ago, and been spending the weekend listening to it while comparing it with my beloved EX1000 (Japanese version).

Hi Simon, thanks for your impressions! However (don't take it personal :wink:, I have to strongly disagree with one of your points:

... the H3 bass reproduction is slightly boomier ... compared to the EX1000.

Just to put things into proper perspective, here's the frequency response of the EX1000:

You can see that the EX1000's bass is extremely linear and flat.

Now, here's the XBA-3's frequency response for comparison:

You can see that it's got a good deal more bass quantity than the EX1000.

Thing is, the new XBA-H3 has significantly more bass bloat than even the XBA-3. I've had two H3 units and compared both side by side with my XBA-3 and EX1000.

To call the H3 "slightly boomier" than the EX1000 is a huge understatement. The stock H3's bass is downright ridiculous for something that's supposed to be Sony's new TOTL earphone.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,099 of 3,257

Hi Simon, thanks for your impressions! However (don't take it personal :wink:, I have to strongly disagree with one of your points:

Hi james444, nothing wrong in correcting my impressions with justifications and in a civilized manner :)...

Quote:
  Thing is, the new XBA-H3 has significantly more bass bloat than even the XBA-3. I've had two H3 units and compared both side by side with my XBA-3 and EX1000.

To call the H3 "slightly boomier" than the EX1000 is a huge understatement. The stock H3's bass is downright ridiculous for something that's supposed to be Sony's new TOTL earphone.

Actually, I did not want to give the impression that these earphones are only for bass heads, but, you are right there is noticeable bloat. I really wish that, in the near future; Sony next TOTL earphones can be the legitimate successor of the EX1000.

Cheers
Simon T.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #1,100 of 3,257
I just had a listen to the snares on Hotel Calfornia with my EX1000. Yes they are very prominent, but as thr EX1000 has low distortion due to its very good engineering and materials, I find them very well done. But if you normally listen to darker cans, then it can be a challenge for sure.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,103 of 3,257
  Listening to XBA-H1 on my Lehmann Audio Linear USB amp.  Man, it's great for only $149.  a good amp will make the H1 shine.  Disclaimer: Linear USB is $1399 USD.

Its like making a budget car that runs well only on dilithium crystals.

On a more serious note, what exactly "shines"? Is there a jump in clarity? Is the bass more controlled? Which iem, would you say, is the closest in terms of sound sig (post and pre amped).

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,104 of 3,257
  Hi james444, nothing wrong in correcting my impressions with justifications and in a civilized manner :)...

Hi Simon, thanks for taking it in a civilized manner :wink:

Strikes me that people are reviewing TOTL earphones as TOTL IEMs? I don't believe these are sold as professional grade flat response monitors?

Let's just say that because they're hybrids made from EX1000 and XBA tech, it wasn't far fetched to assume that they'd be voiced roughly as balanced as Sony's former TOTL IEMs. Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't expect them to come out with a TOTL bass cannon :p

I wished more people would try the tape mod, since it showcases how easily the H3's bass can be tamed to sound still punchy, but better controlled.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,108 of 3,257
Tried the tape mod; it certainly dips the low end response and tightens it up a little, pretty much exactly what you would expect based on the physics of it, but personally I don't like it.

Tried the h3 on my Sony mp3 player and it doesn't sound as good, lows and mids get muddy distortions playing the same files as the SGS2. Not tried it with an amp yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back