SONY XBA-A1AP Review
May 21, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #31 of 71
  I tried A2 as well, but I thought that the sound signature was not significally better than the A1 and coupled with no mic, bigger size and twofold pricing, I just discarded from my list of options.

On a side note, I'm interested in understanding what you guys think is a similarly sounding IEM from a different brand with similar price point.. is there any?

The A2 comes with two interchangeable cables and one of those cables has a one-button-mic-remote attached.

The A1 comes with a pre-attached, non-removable cable, either with or without mic (A1AP vs A1).

I want to make it clear that if I had to choose only one of these IEMs I would always pick the A2. Sony does this rich, detailed-yet-energetic, musical type of sound very well, and I prefer to put my money fully invested to get the better performer in that sense. Therefore the A2. The A1 as a more laid-back performer, which has too much competition in its range and signature, and doesn't deliver the "Sony punch" as well as the A2 does. 

I haven't tried the A3 or Z5, mainly because I already have the H3, and, aside from sound similarities and the reality of diminishing returns, I'm also not the biggest fan of the fit and comfort; I find the behind-ear deployment mechanism very clumsy and constricting.

May 27, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #32 of 71
Can anyone comment on the isolation and leakage of the A1 and A2 please?

I prefer deep, big bass but I dont want to disturb others or be disturbed too much when on the train.

As I understand the A1 is fully enclosed whereas the A2 has a vent but please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 27, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 71
  Can anyone comment on the isolation and leakage of the A1 and A2 please?

I prefer deep, big bass but I dont want to disturb others or be disturbed too much when on the train.

As I understand the A1 is fully enclosed whereas the A2 has a vent but please correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll be fine on the train.

May 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #34 of 71
I have a problem and I hope the community can help me here. I have traditionally being a "leecher" here. I hope the community pardons me for this and helps me. I had a XBA-H1 for a while now.  For some odd reason they stopped working.  I use Sony NWZ-A17 and listen to FLAC/ALAC's.

Now to the problem. Since my XBA-H1 stopped working and was in warranty, the took it back.  But the XBA-H1 are discontinued and the service center has not been able to procure a replacement either. They are telling me that they will replace it with XBA-A1AP....I am not sure what to do...I know both are Hybrid Drivers but how close does XBA-H1 and XBA-A1AP sound. XBA-A1 is ruled out...we dont have it here in India officially.  I am also contemplating if MDR-7506 will be a better option than XBA-A1AP...Please help. I definitely cant buy a new headphone...considering I just got a Beyerdynamic DTX-910 some time back.  For easy understanding...three questions.

1.   Will XBA-A1AP work with the Hi-Res-NWZ-A17 player?  I got this imported from Taiwan...Its not available in India...
2.   How close do XBA-H1 and XBAA1AP sound....
3.   How about MDR-7506. 

I am looking for an experience closer to XBA-H1 without damaging the NWZ-A17..... 

Thank you for taking time out and reading this.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #35 of 71
Just got the XBA-A1AP earphones and I'm really impressed. 

Tested with Fiio X1 player, also have Etymotic HF3 and Philips Fidelio S1. 

I must say the sound of A1 is more organic. Bass is great as the mids.May be its not as ditailed (just a little less) as Etymotic, but really musical and dynamic sound. 

I'd say Fidelio S1 is completely losing to A1, it's not bad, sound may like people who prefer soft "vinyl" sound.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #36 of 71
  Just got the XBA-A1AP earphones and I'm really impressed. 

Tested with Fiio X1 player, also have Etymotic HF3 and Philips Fidelio S1. 

I must say the sound of A1 is more organic. Bass is great as the mids.May be its not as ditailed (just a little less) as Etymotic, but really musical and dynamic sound. 

I'd say Fidelio S1 is completely losing to A1, it's not bad, sound may like people who prefer soft "vinyl" sound.

I agree, though I haven't tried the other two IEMs.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #37 of 71
The Sony XBA earphones are interesting, however imo they are priced much too high. Why does Sony keep pricing them so high, and discontinuing models so quickly? Why can't they instead focus on pricing them lower, keeping models in production much longer, and achieving much better economies of scale? 

I was intrigued when the XBA-1 came out, however I did not feel it was worth $80. When the price finally dropped to $25 I bought a few of them. The XBA-H1 interests me. While refurbs are now $40, new ones are still expensive. I find the XBA-A2 to be intriguing. When the price gets to under $100 for a new one, I might buy one.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #38 of 71
The Sony XBA earphones are interesting, however imo they are priced much too high. Why does Sony keep pricing them so high, and discontinuing models so quickly? Why can't they instead focus on pricing them lower, keeping models in production much longer, and achieving much better economies of scale? 

I was intrigued when the XBA-1 came out, however I did not feel it was worth $80. When the price finally dropped to $25 I bought a few of them. The XBA-H1 interests me. While refurbs are now $40, new ones are still expensive. I find the XBA-A2 to be intriguing. When the price gets to under $100 for a new one, I might buy one.

I feel the complete opposite. The Sonys are priced fairly. Unlike Shure or Sennheiser who price their IEMs at 700-1000 dollars. The XBA-2s will only drop in price when they get replaced, but thats how it is with everything these days. Either you buy it when its in or you buy something that obsolete.

My XBA-A3s sound on par with most totl IEMs costing double or triple as much.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 71
I feel the complete opposite. The Sonys are priced fairly. Unlike Shure or Sennheiser who price their IEMs at 700-1000 dollars. The XBA-2s will only drop in price when they get replaced, but thats how it is with everything these days. Either you buy it when its in or you buy something that obsolete.

My XBA-A3s sound on par with most totl IEMs costing double or triple as much.

I guess we have a difference of opinion about Sony's pricing. I do feel for example that Soundmagic is pricing their IEMs fairly. The ES18 at $13 and E10 at around $35 seem like great values. So does the new E80 at around $50.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #40 of 71
Hi, i just bought new xba-a1ap yesterday from the store (cost me around $106, is it expensive?)
Pretty glad bought this one, i have tested momentum in ear and se215 side by side, i preferred this because the sound is quite balanced between bass,mid and highs

uh i wanted to try the xba-a2 and a3 but forgot about it because i was in hurry :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #41 of 71
just received these.

initial impressions are good.

sound wise worth the money and comparable to my hifiman re400.

so if you enjoy sony house sound, definitely worth picking up.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #42 of 71
  just received these.

initial impressions are good.

sound wise worth the money and comparable to my hifiman re400.

so if you enjoy sony house sound, definitely worth picking up.

As it sounds - Akira yamaoka sh2 sh3. Also neoclassic piano and heavy music with a bunch of tools(not rock). Also =0&c[section]=audio&c[q]=neoclassic%20piano%20Takanashi%20Yasuharu]Takanashi Yasuharu, =0&c[section]=audio&c[q]=Yoshihisa%20Hirano]Yoshihisa Hirano, =0&c[section]=audio&c[q]=Shir%C5%8D%20Sagisu]Shirō Sagisu, =0&c[section]=audio&c[q]=Akira%20Yamaoka]Akira Yamaoka. Please... And how bass?

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #44 of 71
  Also how's the comfort? I bought shure se215 I want to remove after 20 minutes and only good electronic music with bass,other average

earpieces are big and hang out almost completely. however they are surprisingly comfortable. i dont feel them at all in my ears.

also included tips are very good. i have 2-3 tips that gave almost perfect seal. so i chose most comfortable one out of them.

they have extremely good synergy with my xperia smartphone. they are very detailed out of xperia, didnt knew xperia could sound this good.

however i prefer them with a bit slower paced music like jazz or bluegrass. bass is warm and tight. enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back