Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #257 of 326
My cable is about to go bust. When I bought the pair, I heard from the sales rep that these use some sort of standard connectors, so a replacement cable might come from different vendors. Do any of you fellow XBA owners use custom cables (that don't cost another $200)? Maybe you found a cable that has volume controls?

Standard MMCX with plastic shell or MMCX Crimp Metal Shell will work like charm.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #260 of 326
How about 1st impression when You used it?

1st time I used it sounding piercing my ear, very bright, the treble more wild than EX1000:grin::grin::grin:

Nothing change since February for my ear.My impression remains the same
confused_face.gif

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #261 of 326
How about 1st impression when You used it?

1st time I used it sounding piercing my ear, very bright, the treble more wild than EX1000:grin::grin::grin:

Nothing change since February for my ear.My impression remains the same:confused_face:

Did you experiment with tips? I didn't spend enough time w/ xba300 to know, but I find with ex1000 having the right tip makes complete difference in 's' and 'ch' sibilance.

I have read often this is due to distance and shape of the ear canal between IEM nozzle and inner ear causing harsh resonance. With EX1000 (and some other IEM as well) it requires using the smallest tip that will seal my ear, with the nozzle close to the end of the tip, then I have no issues. Sometimes foam tips like Comply Isolation will also help for similar reasons.

I have also noticed with some IEM like audiofreakie mentioned sometimes it can be worse depending on the source.

Another option if you have a parametric EQ you can insert a narrow notch at the specific frequency that is causing the resonance for you (usually somewhere within 5-7khz range). For instance this post has a guide for particular 'sh' sound and corresponding frequency: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/03/regarding-language-dependent-sibilants.html

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #262 of 326
speaking of tip rolling... these new sony tips are bloody amazing for me at least!

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/EP-TC50/

they came with my new N3APs but I am using them for all the iems that they could fit lol

they are made from an aerated sillicone, foam-like but stiffer and washable

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #263 of 326
speaking of tip rolling... these new sony tips are bloody amazing for me at least!

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/EP-TC50/

they came with my new N3APs but I am using them for all the iems that they could fit lol

they are made from an aerated sillicone, foam-like but stiffer and washable

Wow I want them! Can't find anywhere to purchase them :frowning2: I don't think Sony Japan will ship to US.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #264 of 326
Wow I want them! Can't find anywhere to purchase them :frowning2: I don't think Sony Japan will ship to US.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC-XBA-N3%E3%83%BBN1%E7%94%A8%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-M%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BB2%E3%83%9A%E3%82%A2-SONY-EP-TC50M/dp/B01M1D31EC

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #265 of 326
Did you experiment with tips? I didn't spend enough time w/ xba300 to know, but I find with ex1000 having the right tip makes complete difference in 's' and 'ch' sibilance.

I have read often this is due to distance and shape of the ear canal between IEM nozzle and inner ear causing harsh resonance. With EX1000 (and some other IEM as well) it requires using the smallest tip that will seal my ear, with the nozzle close to the end of the tip, then I have no issues. Sometimes foam tips like Comply Isolation will also help for similar reasons.

I have also noticed with some IEM like audiofreakie mentioned sometimes it can be worse depending on the source.

Another option if you have a parametric EQ you can insert a narrow notch at the specific frequency that is causing the resonance for you (usually somewhere within 5-7khz range). For instance this post has a guide for particular 'sh' sound and corresponding frequency: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/03/regarding-language-dependent-sibilants.html

I have try few eartips foe ex1000.
Stock hybrids, JVC Spiral Dots, AKG 3003, Spinfit, UE TF10.
My fav is JVC Spiral Dots.

For XBA300, I choose stock tips, since I no longer have a problem with its treble :grin::grin::grin:

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #266 of 326
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC-XBA-N3%E3%83%BBN1%E7%94%A8%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-M%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BB2%E3%83%9A%E3%82%A2-SONY-EP-TC50M/dp/B01M1D31EC

It's not that hard to setup a Amazon Japan account now that you can change to English interface. I did it using the Japanese interface years ago and it was a bit of trial and error. You'll probably pay a bit higher price as a lot of seller does not ship to U.S. so you have to go to "Other seller" and select Amazon.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #267 of 326
I wish the XBA-300 were getting more love on here!

I decided that since I wasn't in love with the stock cable, I'd upgrade it to a silver-plated copper cable without a mic since I use these at my desk at work. I've finally got everything dialed in and they are sounding absolutely amazing - crazy detail retrieval. I'm plugged into a Centrance DACportable with the "bass boost" on. A week ago I would have called this sacrilege, but it provides a tad of warmth that I think these IEMs benefit from. Sounding great and really enjoying them. 

-Collin-

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #268 of 326
I wish the XBA-300 were getting more love on here!

I decided that since I wasn't in love with the stock cable, I'd upgrade it to a silver-plated copper cable without a mic since I use these at my desk at work. I've finally got everything dialed in and they are sounding absolutely amazing - crazy detail retrieval. I'm plugged into a Centrance DACportable with the "bass boost" on. A week ago I would have called this sacrilege, but it provides a tad of warmth that I think these IEMs benefit from. Sounding great and really enjoying them. 

-Collin-

Yeah, tell me about it. I've had these since August and I am still blown every time I put these in. I think I am fortunate of all the iems I could have picked I managed to pick these ones. It surprises me how little these are talked about.

Then again these are my only pair of expensive iems I have ever owned so these could sound overrated and mediocre compared to other iems for all I know.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #269 of 326
Yeah, tell me about it. I've had these since August and I am still blown every time I put these in. I think I am fortunate of all the iems I could have picked I managed to pick these ones. It surprises me how little these are talked about.

Then again these are my only pair of expensive iems I have ever owned so these could sound overrated and mediocre compared to other iems for all I know.

I think part of it has something to do with the fact that these are not a "fun" sound signature per se. Not a bad thing at all! They're extremely accurate, neutral and detailed. They can probably sound bright to some, but the detail is addicted. Paired with the right source, these are an amazing pair of IEMs. 

-Collin-

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #270 of 326
I guys,

I also own a Sony XBA-300.
Use with my Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, and love the sound. It's amazing the sound quality these little things can reproduce.

I use mainly good quality FLACs's,, (24bits and equal or greater than 94KHz Audio).

Still in a breaking period, but noticing that the sound is getting better with time.
The treble are not aggressive, it’s very clear and no reverb.
Middle sounds are spot in.
As for the bass, I think they are very controlled.

Now thinking in a cable upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back