Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #271 of 326
I guys,

I also own a Sony XBA-300.
Use with my Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, and love the sound. It's amazing the sound quality these little things can reproduce.

I use mainly good quality FLACs's,, (24bits and equal or greater than 94KHz Audio).

Still in a breaking period, but noticing that the sound is getting better with time.
The treble are not aggressive, it’s very clear and no reverb.
Middle sounds are spot in.
As for the bass, I think they are very controlled.

Now thinking in a cable upgrade.

I had the same experience as you did when breaking them in. The treble was overly aggressive as first like with cymbals almost being annoyingly too forward but soften up a bit so the treble is better appreciated but still the forefront of these iems. Really, the only things I don't like about the 300s is they can be quite sibilant on some tracks.

I have the cable upgrade and I am not sure if its just me and how face is shaped or whatever, but I ended up having to them around 180 degrees because they would be pushed out of my ears after awhile.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #272 of 326
I had the same experience as you did when breaking them in. The treble was overly aggressive as first like with cymbals almost being annoyingly too forward but soften up a bit so the treble is better appreciated but still the forefront of these iems. Really, the only things I don't like about the 300s is they can be quite sibilant on some tracks.

I have the cable upgrade and I am not sure if its just me and how face is shaped or whatever, but I ended up having to them around 180 degrees because they would be pushed out of my ears after awhile.

Hi,

I use the larger earbuds that come with the XBA-300, and they stay inside my ears firmly, and with good sound isolation.
Try a different earbud, It might help.

As for the treble been harsh, I think it as to do with the music, and the recordings.

Some recordings have a treble so clear and detail that it amazes me.
Recently I listen to 'Alex Reference Signature Vol. III - Audiophile Test CD", witch I have in my Xperia, and every track in that record is so clear in the treble, the middles and the bass. That's how every record should be done.

As for the cable, I would like to try different ones. I know that if I go with silver, I get more detail. If I go with copper, I get a more all around sound.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #276 of 326
Does anyone know if any mmcx blutooth cable will fit this or do I have to buy Sony's blutooth cable. Also is there any difference between the the old and new version of Sony's blutooth cable besides better battery life?

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #277 of 326
Does anyone know if any mmcx blutooth cable will fit this or do I have to buy Sony's blutooth cable. Also is there any difference between the the old and new version of Sony's blutooth cable besides better battery life?

As long it used mmcx I think it will fit. I have tried many mmcx aftermarket plug, and it fit nicely.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #279 of 326
the sony M12SM1 official cable seems ridiculously expensive and hard to find in europe? I don't really care for the remote control buttons and mic, can anyone suggest me a good value for money cable compatible with the xba-300AP's ? 2.5mm TRRS balanced output is a plus. thanks

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #280 of 326
  the sony M12SM1 official cable seems ridiculously expensive and hard to find in europe? I don't really care for the remote control buttons and mic, can anyone suggest me a good value for money cable compatible with the xba-300AP's ? 2.5mm TRRS balanced output is a plus. thanks

that one is old model. Here's the new and improved one MUC-M12SM2. http://amzn.to/2mXlpN9

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #284 of 326
Received a pair of xba-300 today. I write as I am listening my first hour on my FiiO X5-III. I come the xba-3 from which it is pretty close: I've had the XBA-40 for a couple years aswell.

Better fit, the xba-3 left my right ear in an awkward place where if I pushed it in the treble was cut, no such problem with the -300. The cable is thinner bu microphonics are still there, as expected from a BA.
Clarity and detail is still awesome, probably improved, the sony house sound signature is right there.
The annoying treble peak is gone, making the IEM much more balanced now. I'm hearing more detail in the higher mids, could by the X5-3 that I'm still discovering.
The bass is equivalent, I miss my XBA-40's for the lower bass detail.
Detachable cable! this might come handy if the stock one breaks down.

In short it's an improvement, not a revolution. More to come most likely.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #285 of 326
Had these for a long while now. Shunned these for a while in favour of darker bassier iems, but when I come back to them, I am shocked at how good they are at their price. The details, instrument separation, imaging is the best at their price range, better than twfk hybrids like dunu 2000j which are praised for clarity. The flaws are that the bass feels overpowered by the brightness, and the treble is very unforgiving on poorly mastered songs. On well mastered songs, like xx's album, they sound very very good but on modern pop songs, they sound very harsh and spiky. I can see why they are not very popular, they have the clarity and detail of models costing 2-3 times as much but lack the smoothness, balance and organic tones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back