Sony XBA-100 thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #34 of 83
It is close in price to the XBA-H1 which is now $82 new on Ebay. 
The XBA-1 is now around $25. 

Is the XBA-100 so much better than the XBA-1? With just one driver I can't 
see how the bass on the XBA-100 could be as good as that of the XBA-H1 with its two drivers.
It seems like the XBA-H1 or XBA-1 is probably a much better deal, unless the XBA-100 gets under $40 soon.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #35 of 83
I love my XBA-1 as a daily, no worry IEM.  I'm interested in this.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #36 of 83
  It is close in price to the XBA-H1 which is now $82 new on Ebay. 
The XBA-1 is now around $25. 

Is the XBA-100 so much better than the XBA-1? With just one driver I can't 
see how the bass on the XBA-100 could be as good as that of the XBA-H1 with its two drivers.
It seems like the XBA-H1 or XBA-1 is probably a much better deal, unless the XBA-100 gets under $40 soon.

one driver has nothing to do with SQ , there are monsters with one BA driver if tuned nicely . name it to be pfe 112 , sba-03 , x10 , hf-5 , heaven c/s , ortofons and my favorite ER-4P/S , the list goes on .
 these guys are using a new driver technology , i am not saying these guys will shake the base of Hf-5 or heaven II with these but lets wait for some solid impressions or review maybe . it can bet better than xba-2 too . lets see .

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #37 of 83
Brass?? Hmm I figure this do wonders for big bands playback 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #38 of 83

The single driver model of attention to newly developed BA type driver 

"T-shaped armature" adoption of brass earphone! Sony "XBA-100" haste report

Sony September 9, 2014, announced the new model "XBA-100" of the canal type earphone to adopt balanced-armature-type (BA type) driver. The market expected price is 9,500 yen before and after (excluding tax), will be released is October 24. It is a single driver model is located in the intermediate class in the Sony BA type earphone, but such as adopting a brass housing and new development driver, has become the interest of many products. This time, it was possible to touch quickly beta machine under development. Let's report features.

np598nse_img1.jpg
np598nse_img2.jpg
Brass earphone will be released October 24 "XBA-100"

Adopt a brass housing & sound conduit

"XBA-100" is a successor model of "XBA-10" released in August 2012, as well as "XBA-10", but single driver model for mounting 1 groups the full range of BA type driver. Recently, or model with multiple drivers has been increasing model to adopt the hybrid driver BA type and dynamic, compared to such, specification of the BA single driver may pale. However, the "XBA-100" is a unique feature some to be focused on sound quality.

It's housing to become a major feature. Like the dynamic type driver adoption model released in February 2014 "MDR-EX650", adopted the brass to housing and sound conduit (the nozzle part). High rigidity, a brass excellent in internal loss characteristics, and machined from a solid base material, and can be configured as a housing, to suppress unnecessary vibration. You have to be able to reproduce the smooth response and clear mid-high range of the low range. Further, by adopting the brass in the sound tube, to expand the inner diameter while maintaining the strength of the sound tube, and that realizes good clear highs and pulling out.

np598nse_img3.jpg
np598nse_img4.jpg
Sound conduit also be included, it has become a housing machined brass carved from solid of the base material

np598nse_img5.jpg
Shape of the plug is L-shaped

"Symmetric armature" and "direct drive structure" adoption of a newly developed driver

The greatest feature of the "XBA-100" is that it employs the BA type driver newly developed. Sony, has been developed in-house a BA type driver, even up to now, in the air duct structure of a general BA type driver (narrow pipe-like structure) without, adopted the air duct structure of the flat shape, the frequency band The spread such, it has evolved a BA type driver included.1 make in-house developed unique. This time, the name of the newly developed driver that has been adopted in the "XBA-100" is "linear drive Balanced Armature". In order to drive the vibration plate to more accurately and directly, based on the ones of the past, a new technology called a "symmetric armature" "direct drive structure" is turned on.

BA type driver, armature (oscillator), the connecting rod is constituted by a diaphragm, by using the vibration of the armature, the connecting rod is a mechanism that moves the diaphragm. Armature Generally, those of U-shaped shape is employed, the "XBA-100", in order to improve the linearity of the armature and employs a T-shaped new shape "symmetric armature". Although slight asymmetry occurs in the vibration direction is U-shaped, improves the symmetry of the vibrations by the T-type, the thing of the waveform reproducibility is up. More generally, the connecting rod connecting the armature and the diaphragm has a separate part, but in "XBA-100", a "direct drive structure" that uses a connecting rod integral with the diaphragm is adopted. This should be able to convey the vibrations of the armature and more directly to the diaphragm, to reduce vibration loss, and they can be of the now faithfully drive the input signal.

In addition, the core wire of the cable to adopt the silver-coated OFC line to reduce signal transmission loss in coding OFC line (copper) with silver. Rather than the conventional three-core structure, and by the 4-core structure that is separate ground (way back) on the left and right, thereby improving the separation of the left and right. Cable, by providing a small groove in the surface has a serration cable to reduce friction is responsible for the pungent. Sensitivity is 105dB / mW, playback frequency band 5Hz ~ 25kHz, impedance is 16Ω (at 1kHz), maximum input is 100mW. 1.2m of Y-type with a fixed expression code.Weight of about 4g (not including cable). Hybrid earpiece and a carrying pouch of SS / S / M / L size is included.

np598nse_img6.jpg
T-shaped armature and, the newly developed "linear drive Balanced Armature" driver to adopt a connecting rod that was integrated with the vibration plate is equipped

This time, there is a short time, it was possible to listen to "XBA-100". Player that was used in the "Walkman NW-ZX1", tried by connecting the "XBA-100" directly. Yes "Roundabout" and, although I tried to play the hi-res sound of classic such as Eagles "Hotel California", the sound, felt that there is a feature to BA type ish mid-high range. BA type, half delicate expression is good, but there is a place that lacks somewhat powerful, "XBA-100" is, at the same time as the goodness of missing clear sheath of mid-high range, to the impression that it is a strong sound of the feeling of energy remaining. And the low-frequency power of felt like not a little short because it is a BA type single driver, but the high frequency range was also felt that arrive Shari, and that this area is still beta machine, will vary in aging or would not be a part.

np598nse_img7.jpg
You listen by connecting directly to the "Walkman NW-ZX1"

A review i found on this page : http://magazine.kakaku.com/mag/kaden/id=1754/ (Google translated it on the above post)
9500 yen ($90) sounds nice to me since its a full brass housing like the  FAD heaven s

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #39 of 83
Recently I was looking for a new universal iem and did a lot of listening on the xba-100 on yodobashi camera japan.
As a reference for Iem, i had an se 535, um2 and x4i.
Currently I have a JH5, xba-3 and a heaven 4.
My 2 cents:

The housing is really beautiful, of this sony s 2014 line, it is by far the most beautiful and well crafted iem. However, looking at some samples on the shops, you can see that the brass housing has a coating and it can be scratched with time/ bad usage, leaving a not so nice greenish color, similar of what happens with the FAD heaven with brass body, however the sony coating looks a tad better.

This new driver is really fast, the sound is well defined and clear. Comparing with other companies BA, I think it is one of the clearest drivers I have ever heard. This iem is a bright sounded iem. Highs are excellent mids are good, lows have a good impact, are well controlled and precise, but compared with highs and mids they definitely are at a lower volume. So it is a good analytic IEM, you can hear really well details like cymbals, echoes or even bass, however you don't have that warm/dark background which makes the music more comfortable to listen on extended periods.

So for me, I test it for a while and noticed that is the kind of iem that makes my ears fatigue, due to the "brightness". Since I was looking for a IEM to listen in long periods, like bus and plane travels, I decided to not buy it.

The retail price is 9,999 JPY, however you can find it for 8,500 JPY and given the Sony xba line history, I think in some months it can achieve the 7,000 JPY mark.By observing the japanese market, at the 10,000 JPY range they tend to prefer more warm sounded BA IEM (mid centric) or bass monstruous heavy for Dynamics, so I think it will be more a niche product.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #40 of 83
[COLOR=222222]Recently I was looking for a new universal iem and did a lot of listening on the xba-100 on yodobashi camera japan.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]As a reference for Iem, i had an se 535, um2 and x4i.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Currently I have a JH5, xba-3 and a heaven 4.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]My 2 cents:[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]The housing is really beautiful, of this sony s 2014 line, it is by far the most beautiful and well crafted iem. However, looking at some samples on the shops, you can see that the brass housing has a coating and it can be scratched with time/ bad usage, leaving a not so nice greenish color, similar of what happens with the FAD heaven with brass body, however the sony coating looks a tad better.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]This new driver is really fast, the sound is well defined and clear. Comparing with other companies BA, I think it is one of the clearest drivers I have ever heard. This[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] iem is a bright sounded iem. Highs are excellent mids are good, lows have a good impact, are well controlled and precise, but compared with highs and mids they definitely are at a lower volume. So it is a good analytic IEM, you can hear really well details like cymbals, echoes or even bass, however you don't have that warm/dark background which makes the music more comfortable to listen on extended periods.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]So for me, I test it for a while and noticed that is the kind of iem that makes my ears fatigue, due to the "brightness". Since I was looking for a IEM to listen in long periods, like bus and plane travels, I decided to not buy it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]The retail price is 9,999 JPY, however you can find it for 8,500 JPY and given the Sony xba line history, I think in some months it can achieve the 7,000 JPY mark.By observing the japanese market, at the 10,000 JPY range they tend to prefer more warm sounded BA IEM (mid centric) or bass monstruous heavy for Dynamics, so I think it will be more a niche product.[/COLOR]

The xba-10 also is fatiguing to my ears. Can you compare the xba100 to xba10? I'm also looking for an iem for long term usage. So i think were on the same position. Is the xba100 has the same fatiguing highs of the xba10? The xba10 can also be scratched easily but thats fine with me. I'm glad they change the plug to a plastic one. The older plug which is rubber is fine but mine has some rubber dents due to my usage.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 83
The xba-10 also is fatiguing to my ears. Can you compare the xba100 to xba10? I'm also looking for an iem for long term usage. So i think were on the same position. Is the xba100 has the same fatiguing highs of the xba10? The xba10 can also be scratched easily but thats fine with me. I'm glad they change the plug to a plastic one. The older plug which is rubber is fine but mine has some rubber dents due to my usage.

In japan they are not selling the xba 10-30 anymore so I cant compare. What i did is to compare it with my old xba-3, and I think the xba 3 is a better iem overall due to it s better equalization ("v shape"-ish). my only compain with the xba-3 is about the stupid cable design. But def I never felt fatigue after hours listening the xba-3.

However, I think that the highs and definition/speed of the xba-100 are a tad better, def not something obvious to notice without having both at your hand

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 83
In japan they are not selling the xba 10-30 anymore so I cant compare. What i did is to compare it with my old xba-3, and I think the xba 3 is a better iem overall due to it s better equalization ("v shape"-ish). my only compain with the xba-3 is about the stupid cable design. But def I never felt fatigue after hours listening the xba-3.

However, I think that the highs and definition/speed of the xba-100 are a tad better, def not something obvious to notice without having both at your hand

thanks for the impressions man , you should try the xba-a series may be and post us some impressions too .

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #43 of 83
Here is my quick impression of XBA-100 vs. XBA-10:

XBA-100 is warmer, fuller and more forwarded, but it is not extremely warm. It has a much more delicate handling on treble detail where things are usually lost / mellowed out in the XBA-10. The lower end of treble is still slight grainy but it is slight better than XBA-10. However, the forwardness of the overall presentation takes away most of the soundstage, making it average (on soundstage) at best. In comparison, XBA-10 sounds more specious in image and position, but not as sweet in vocal. The forwardness also gives XBA-100 more body and hit in bass region, good in quantity but not bass head level by any mean. Overall I don't find XBA-100 to be a huge upgrade over XBA-10. If anything, it is a more matured sound and of course, a bit different in sound signature. If you have the XBA-10 and looking for a big upgrade, the XBA-100 won't be it. For the price it isn't a bad buy at all but also not the best buy.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #44 of 83

XBA-100 is warmer, fuller and more forwarded, but it is not extremely warm. It has a much more delicate handling on treble detail where things are usually lost / mellowed out in the XBA-10. The lower end of treble is still slight grainy but it is slight better than XBA-10. However, the forwardness of the overall presentation takes away most of the soundstage, making it average (on soundstage) at best. In comparison, XBA-10 sounds more specious in image and position, but not as sweet in vocal. The forwardness also gives XBA-100 more body and hit in bass region, good in quantity but not bass head level by any mean. Overall I don't find XBA-100 to be a huge upgrade over XBA-10. If anything, it is a more matured sound and of course, a bit different in sound signature. If you have the XBA-10 and looking for a big upgrade, the XBA-100 won't be it. For the price it isn't a bad buy at all but also not the best buy.

" thank you thank you thank you , you are far too kaaind " seriously thank you . i was wondering how these new BAs will sound like , they call it like linear something something , a new design .
can you vice us the impressions of A1AP or A2 many be ? im being greedy .

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #45 of 83

Good to know. I have an xba-10 and I'm looking for an upgrade. How about the audio technica im70 vs xba-10/xba-100 ? Can you recommend me an upgrade? I'm looking for the same sound signature as the xba-10 (slightly mid centric but warmish sound). It should have a great soundstage and better overall sound quality. My budget is limited to $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back