Sony WH1000XM3 sound quality?
Apr 18, 2019 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Yokipa

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, still a bit of a novice to the audio world but i'm looking to purchase the Sony WH1000XM3's and i'm kind of unsure about the audio quality. Some people saying the bass is rather muddy and that the sound isn't that great and I can't tell how they'd match up to my standards? I haven't found a single place that will let me demo my own music with these cans. This is also my first time looking into wireless headphones.

From what I can tell I have the taste of an average consumer, just slightly pickier--I generally prefer V-shaped sound signatures with a very punchy bass but I still want clear definition between lows/mids/highs.
I've opted for more obsecure budget choices so far and all seem to have a great sound for their price point, not sure if anyone can make a comparison for the XM3's with any of my current gear? (Philips SHL3300 / Shure SRH750dj / 1MORE MK801)

The main reason I'm looking at the XM3's is the overall seemingly great balance between wirelessness, comfort, portability/aesthetic but sound quality is still my priority by far. All the reviews rave about ANC, but I'm honestly not that concerned about ANC--if anything I get worried because I like being able to hear my surroundings in public just for my own safety...
If you guys have any other suggestions for portable over-ears with similar sound signatures please hit me up with those! Not really willing to go over the price point of the XM3's though.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi @Yokipa,

Personally & subjectively, it's hard to beat the WH 1000 X series, I own the M2 but have done extensive demo on the M3 (I was more curious than anything else to see if sound quality aside from Noise Cancelling was improved).
So I can assure you, where audio quality is concerned, there is no definitely nothing to worry about.
However, saying that, I would suggest as long as your source quality is well recorded & minimum CD quality, you will be more than fine with good quality sound.
Also, the M3 has an average 3 to 6 db more emphasis in bass response compared to M2.
What this means in real world listening, is any music with lots of bass will sound 'louder' or more accurately, be potentially felt (eg, possible headphone shaking but source dependant) more than anything with less bass but still well detailed on the proviso source is well recorded, of course.

The issue most get with 1000 X Series audio quality overall, especially so called 'bad sound' described is possibly though more than likely due but not limited to the following :

- Listening to poorly recorded, poor quality sources
- Using a phone (even those touted for quality audio, eg LG V series) as source instead of DAP
- EQ just for the sake of EQ (Whether they understand how to use EQ or not)
- Wrong Bluetooth Codec Selected (Perhaps the real culprit)

The last tends to be the most telling as to sound its best, 1000 X Series especially, needs LDAC Codec to sound the best it can be, barring that well recorded, source quality though AptX or AptX HD ain't bad codecs in their own right, they just don't always convey the proper bass information in the recording as intended if a listener uses & or is used to the standard headphone cable or wired connection.
What this means, is in order for 1000 X Series to sound its best if source is quality & well recorded, then source device must be able to support LDAC otherwise it is really no point getting the 1000 X M3.

This also doesn't take into account the different BT standards make things even more confusing as BT 4+ or even BT 5, doesn't mean you, as said listener, will get AptX or AptX HD either so at the very least, I would suggest always check to have the highest quality connection both your source device & headphone can support.

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to ask more if necessary.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 8
The sound of the WH-1000XM3 headphones is very good -- the best I've heard from a noise-cancelling headphone. The Sony is a self-contained unit, with its own amp and DAC. Perfect for use with your phone. Perfect for traveling.

But, if you look at passive headphones (without noise-cancelling or a built-in amp), you can get much better sound. The Sony is top-class for what it does, but I wouldn't call it an audiophile's headphone.

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 8
If you’re not that concerned with anc as you state, then I would skip these. I’ve owned Mk1, Mk2 and current Mk3. As a resident of NYC the noise cancelling was the main draw for me, they just happened to sound pretty darn good with on the go listening to whatever random stuff I could get on whatever streaming service I happened to be using. Most of the time I don’t even listen to music with them it’s just to protect my hearing! Lol...

Beyond that I agree with Dcguy73.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 8
I just bought the xm3 used. after an hour i think i might pass them onto the used market.
with ANC on, the bass is flabby and uncontrolled.The mids sound sucked out and theres no sense of air at the top end making the sound overly stale and closed in
with Ambient mode on or Off, the bass is better controlled but theres not much of it.
I havent played around with the app's EQ but doing so will take the headphone out of LDAC which would defeat the technology advantage of this headphone.

If your ears arent picky about bass, these could serve well for a relaxed, laid back sound.
theres something off about Sony's bass overall. it can be felt but not really heard. my bose QC35 has more thump, detail and control without the shaky shaky (with anc on)

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 8
I didn’t enjoy them at all (agree with you about the muddy lower frequencies), where as I did enjoy v1 and still have a pair that I use in the office (when we aren’t locked down).

Have you heard the Bose NC700? They might be worth a listen as an alternative. I use these or the apple AirPod Pros when I need wireless and noise cancellation.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 8
my wireless solution has been the samsung buds (non plus). i think they are underrated. i actually returned my Jabra 75T for them.
i still have my QC35 and when i demoed the 700's in store, they sounded too thin for my liking.

correction to my post above, during my first listen to the XM3's, i was messing around with removal of the inner sponge and the cloth liner to see if it would liven up the top end. in hindsight, all it did was make the bass seem less when ambient mode was on.. i dunno. i need more time with these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back