SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,411 of 2,082
I've got it
What's the current situation regarding the build quality and the Hinge problems?.
Anyone had these for a few months willing to give us heads up on how the build quality is holding up.

Cheers
I've got it since 20th Sept 2018. It's been 5 months now, I'm using it 1-2 hrs everyday. The hinges look like Day 1 as of today check, so there are no situation or problem on XM3 hinge.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,413 of 2,082
The hinge started creaking after some time. I circled on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Kg67qJj where the two pieces of plastic slide against each other. On the right side, they're noticeably more loose than on the left. Sometimes, on particularly bumpy roads, I can hear a faint clicking sound that stops if I hold the pieces together. It only happens every now and then, so it doesn't bother me too much, but you might want to check if your pair has the same problem.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,414 of 2,082
The hinge started creaking after some time. I circled on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Kg67qJj where the two pieces of plastic slide against each other. On the right side, they're noticeably more loose than on the left. Sometimes, on particularly bumpy roads, I can hear a faint clicking sound that stops if I hold the pieces together. It only happens every now and then, so it doesn't bother me too much, but you might want to check if your pair has the same problem.

Thanks for the info, Gonna see if I can get extra any damage warranty on these.

Ta

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,415 of 2,082
Your case are so bizarre. How do you using your XM3? Do you use XM3 for stress testing?

Mines after 5 months usage still 0 "creaking" or "clicking" or what sound and both sides still like Day 1 as you can from below pictures.

20190220_043556.jpg
20190220_043646.jpg

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #1,416 of 2,082
Your case are so bizarre. How do you using your XM3? Do you use XM3 for stress testing?

Mines after 5 months usage still 0 "creaking" or "clicking" or what sound and both sides still like Day 1 as you can from below pictures.

Thanks for the insight into your experience with these headphones.

Can I ask you does the wait version pick up marks easy?

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,417 of 2,082
It's all about player + headphones matching.
I agree that source makes a difference when wired, but the XM3 is a pretty bass-centric headphone out of the box. The firmware update certainly improves it considerably from what it shipped with, but even then it won’t sound as great as the P7W does unless its pushed a bit further.

What's the current situation regarding the build quality and the Hinge problems? Anyone had these for a few months willing to give us heads up on how the build quality is holding up.
I have a launch set (since Sep ‘18) that I’ve listened to daily; no hinge issues whatsoever. In fact, they’ve held up excellently and don’t really show much wear at all. I store them in their case when not in use, and am always careful when folding them flat (I suspect this is where the hinge issues originated from, on the older models at least).

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,418 of 2,082
Thanks for the insight into your experience with these headphones.

Can I ask you does the wait version pick up marks easy?
You're welcome.

Not going to say it's easy but the silver color version will pick up some marks when use with greasy hands. Lately headphones slowly becoming a fashion wear, so the silver color one a better choice, but if you are bother about marks then choose the black one

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,419 of 2,082

I was always very careful because of the many reported issues with the two first generations. I never pull them more than eight inches apart.

Here's a video to demonstrate what's happening:

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,420 of 2,082
I was always very careful because of the many reported issues with the two first generations. I never pull them more than eight inches apart.

Here's a video to demonstrate what's happening:

Compare your video with what you've said, then I am a rough user than your are and yet I didn't get any of your creaking cracking noise. Perhaps there are time you've stressed your cans much wider than those showed in your video?

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,421 of 2,082
He was just demonstrating the creaking sound, not showing how he normally interacts with them. Even then, any portable-designed headphones should be able to withstand that kind of torquing. I'm also pretty careful with my pair, but the flexing in video didn't look unreasonably rough to me.

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,422 of 2,082
Compare your video with what you've said, then I am a rough user than your are and yet I didn't get any of your creaking cracking noise. Perhaps there are time you've stressed your cans much wider than those showed in your video?

I don't remember flexing them more than I needed to put them on.
Other people here h://amp.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/9owyvo/wh1000xm3_creaking_hinges_anyone_else/ report a similar problem. It seems it's another design flaw.

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,423 of 2,082
i went to a shop that had both these cans for demo side by side. i played from my source (SR15 DAP).
I did notice a sound difference between the two. the Sony sounds better both in sound + noise cancelling. I had less pressure from the sony when the ANC was on compared to the Bose. the Bose gave me a little pressure which after 30min was a bit uncomfortable.

Build quality i found much better on the Sony than the Bose.

sum up, Sonys were much better imo in most ways. i couldnt think of anything the bose did that i could use to add a point to it.

THAT being said, sound quality i found suffered a bit on both when ANC was on. it felt thinner and a tiny bit more echoy.
has anyone else noticed that?

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,424 of 2,082
I don't remember flexing them more than I needed to put them on.
Other people here h://amp.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/9owyvo/wh1000xm3_creaking_hinges_anyone_else/ report a similar problem. It seems it's another design flaw.
Hmm... That guy that use XM3 while sleeping video showed he indeed stressed the cans much wider than need to reproduce the creaking sound. Thanks to him, he alert me not to do what he did. But nevertheless, it certainly look like it was a manufacturing issue on some units. Good that Sony are able to replaced the faulty set.

Anyway, it's probably not going to be a deal breaker given XM3 best ANC function, comfort and LDAC connection over other brands.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,425 of 2,082
My XM3's just started creaking yesterday, on the left cup, during my walk home. I blame all of you :) Today they were fine though. Hopefully it doesn't persist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back