SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,321 of 2,082
These are my next pair of headphone’s for sure, the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is the price (in Canada they are $450 + tax)
I saw a graph on shopbot and it seems like the only price drop was around Black Friday.
Thanks for all the great information in this thread, head-fi!
If you're fine sacrificing the smallest amounts on quality and ANC, you can try finding a pair of XM2's. I personally haven't tried them, but I've heard they are pretty close to the XM3's. And they don't have the cold weather issues.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #1,322 of 2,082
got any EQ changes since update ?
Haven’t spent too much time adjusting the earlier presets, but I do find that a little less treble is important after the update (on some songs, I was hearing sibilance whereas before the update there definitely wasn’t any). And, adding a bit of low end back into the mix helps keep things lively. This profile still sounds a little bass-lite to me, though. I’ll revisit this when I can sit down and listen to a wide range of things a little more closely.

Anyway, this is the slightly-modified original EQ that I’ve been rocking lately:

xm3_radsone_newfirmware3.jpeg

I’m curious though, what do you think about the sound signature after the update?

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,323 of 2,082
Well I did my vacuuming NC test vs. cheapo silicone-tipped BT earphones and found the results to be pretty much the same, even with the 4.1.1 update: both block vacuum noise pretty much the same but the Sony ANC tech also blocks some of the higher frequencies making the vacuum humming I hear more pleasant to my ears. So at least my pair seems to be unaffected (referring to the alledged 4.1.1 ANC reduction).

One theory could be that FW4.1.1 could've changed how well the ANC blocks certain frequencies. I mean I suppose it's common knowledge that the XM3s aren't better than the XM2s in all frequencies in terms of ANC. I seem to remember Rtings even having a graph that proves this.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,324 of 2,082
Haven’t spent too much time adjusting the earlier presets, but I do find that a little less treble is important after the update (on some songs, I was hearing sibilance whereas before the update there definitely wasn’t any). And, adding a bit of low end back into the mix helps keep things lively. This profile still sounds a little bass-lite to me, though. I’ll revisit this when I can sit down and listen to a wide range of things a little more closely.

Anyway, this is the slightly-modified original EQ that I’ve been rocking lately:

xm3_radsone_newfirmware3.jpeg

I’m curious though, what do you think about the sound signature after the update?
I’m moving out tomorrow so actually been pretty busy but so far it way more dynamic, better treble and toned down bass. I could actually listen to the flat EQ without hurting too much :wink:

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,325 of 2,082
Really excited to see how the Jabra Elite 85H stacks up against Sony & Bose. I may be able to get a deal on those instead and if they manage to bridge the gap between the two in terms of build, battery, features, sound and comfort, they may be a great middle ground.

Good to hear that this new update balances out the Sony's a bit more though.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,329 of 2,082
If you're fine sacrificing the smallest amounts on quality and ANC, you can try finding a pair of XM2's. I personally haven't tried them, but I've heard they are pretty close to the XM3's. And they don't have the cold weather issues.

The XM2's are the same price at the XM3's here. Also, I've read that the ear pads are roomier on the XM3 so thats what I'm after :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,330 of 2,082
I just got these .... absolutely love them just way they are. Should I give in to the app nag to update the firmware?
As per the point made by @frustration101 earlier, the ClearBass setting is dialed back by default after the update. So, you’ll need to use the EQ from Sony’s app to ratchet it back up if you want them to sound the same after updating. As long as you’re listening via AAC (with which the app EQ is compatible), you can go ahead and update.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,331 of 2,082
As per the point made by @frustration101 earlier, the ClearBass setting is dialed back by default after the update. So, you’ll need to use the EQ from Sony’s app to ratchet it back up if you want them to sound the same after updating. As long as you’re listening via AAC (with which the app EQ is compatible), you can go ahead and update.

Actually, I'm using LDAC from my Samsung Galaxy phone. Thanks for the reply .... I guess I won't update!

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,333 of 2,082
Nope, day 1 and days now XM3 still sounds normal with my i7-Win7 and i7cWin10 laptops :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,335 of 2,082
Does any else's sound like they are underwater when bluetoothing from a laptop......I mean, it sounds horrible....I made sure all enhancements are off and everything
On top of what darkwing asked, how old is the laptop? Are you able to try other bluetooth sources for your XM3s, or other bluetooth headphones/speakers to your laptop? If it's an older laptop, it may only be able to handle limited bandwidth on SBC, which doesn't have a lot of fidelity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back