SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,291 of 2,082
We are all on a quest for great sound.
With only $399? I don't think you can achieve that. Perhaps you should use the word "better sound". :ksc75smile:

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,292 of 2,082
I´m not an audiophile and unfortunally last time i heard only podcasts, but before only pure sound without any equalizer and with LDAC.

First time listening after the update,i think they reduce the bass noticeable, also treble is more present and the sound is more open and flat.

I liked the bass boom with my metal music, but with a few songs it was to much and the HP could not play all songs clean.

Have to test much more times, but in my opinion sony would never told you to change sound signature or try to fix the cold weather bug.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,295 of 2,082
After a couple of days of listening post-update, I’m pretty sure they did dial the bass back a bit. I’ve got 2 EQs set up in the Sony app, with one reducing ClearBass by 5 and another by 3 (the “more fun” of the two settings). The latter setting now sounds reasonably neutral to me, whereas it certainly did not before the update, and the former setting is just too dry to use. It’s similarly the case with my Radsone EQ—what previously sounded somewhat neutral with a slight bass bump now sounds a little anemic. Treble also does sound a little hotter now as well.

It doesn’t really surprise me that they would silently update the frequency response—I think I recall B&W doing the same thing a few times with the PX’s different noise cancelling modes right after launch. Given that Sony developed the QN1 from scratch for this headset, and given that this headset sounds pretty excellent once EQ’d, I’ve always kind suspected that the choice to dump a slathering of syrupy bass all over the stock signature may have been a marketing choice (not a design choice) that was made right before launch to increase appeal.

At any rate, if this suggests that Sony is either listening to some of the reviews that have critized the excessive bass, or that folks who care about balanced SQ are winning arguments internally, it’s a good thing even though it requires new measurements from True-Fi and rtings.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,296 of 2,082
What did i said? Another one having good ears confirmed XM3 new firmware update indeed changes SQ:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,297 of 2,082
One of the best things about paying yourself a compliment is that others are saved the bother :)

As has been reported, the really outstanding matter is this:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00206130

Like the cracking-hinge issue of some of the 1000x sets, will the problem be addressed only in the next model?
If so, where's that going to leave affected owners?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,298 of 2,082
The WH-1000XM3 model is designed to function optimally between the temperatures of 0°C and 40°C.

Which mean using it at and beyond low temperature spec potentially cause damage to XM3, like most other headphones, I'd it does damage bcoz of misused, then you no one to blame. Anyway, let's hope Sony newer firmware able to fix this usage under very low temperature problems, to help users using XM3 at cold places.

Haven't heard of XM3 hinge crack so far, but if someone is going to use excessive force and crack it, I won't be surprise it'll happen. Remember, even if it was metal, it will be damage or out of shape if use under excessive force or abnormality usage.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,299 of 2,082
What's the general consensus on the ANC: is this version (3) better than that of the previous version (2)?

I remember version 2's ANC was better than version 1, not by a lot but a noticeable jump. Is this a similar jump?

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,300 of 2,082
What's the general consensus on the ANC: is this version (3) better than that of the previous version (2)?

I remember version 2's ANC was better than version 1, not by a lot but a noticeable jump. Is this a similar jump?

I bought the 2s and quickly sold them (unfortunately losing some money even though it was a flash sale item) as the 3s were coming. I wanted to like the 2s and they did have pleasing SQ and amazing ANC (on par with using in-ears with silicone tips in terms of blocking noise but they also blocked the annoying frequencies which made them better although obviously bulkier&pricier than in-ears). However, eventually they started to hurt my big head and, aesthetically, I didn't like the 'mickey mouse' effect of the round hinges. The 3s are just so much more comfortable because of the padding and the bigger cups. However, I'd say that if you find the 2s comfortable and don't mind the round hinges, the 3s aren't worth it for SQ and ANC alone.

On a personal note, these were a luxury purchase for me. I didn't want to spend this much on headphones I use mostly at home but I love tech and do appreciate ANC when I have to focus. However, as I'm not exactly an audiophile, I could've managed with buying something like the Anker Space NCs and a pair of BT in-ears for less than half of what the 1000XM3s cost. Oh well. I wouldn't have bought wired headphones, though, as while I do use the 3s wired when I game, I find wires terribly restricting even when I'm sitting down at home.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,301 of 2,082
Update to my situation:

The manager of my local best buy store contacted me and offered me the WH1000XM3s for $249.99 CDN due to the issues I faced with them over the holidays.

Do you think I should jump on them at this price or turn it down and wait for something else? I kinda wish they sold the Audeze Mobius so I could get the discount on those but it's still tempting...

What do you all think?

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,302 of 2,082
Update to my situation:

The manager of my local best buy store contacted me and offered me the WH1000XM3s for $249.99 CDN due to the issues I faced with them over the holidays.

Do you think I should jump on them at this price or turn it down and wait for something else? I kinda wish they sold the Audeze Mobius so I could get the discount on those but it's still tempting...

What do you all think?
Oh heck yeah ! If you don’t like them you could probably get 400$ for them on kijiji ! (Canadian here)

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,303 of 2,082
Update to my situation:

What do you all think?

yes, it's a steal at that price

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,305 of 2,082
My main worry is the touch pad going wonky in cold temperatures.. Apparently it's fine as long as you restart the headphones outside but that sounds like a bother.

I get it but it’s still a good price. I have them, and I live in London (uk not Ontario, used to live there though!) and it’s been completely fine. Mind you, London is more temperate but it’s gotten to -2 this week and I haven’t faced that problem.

I also got a good amount off (got them for 246 pounds for an open box one). And I think it’s well worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back