SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 29, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #946 of 2,082
Returned the QC35s today, could not get past the low volume, the ANC is not magic so on my commute it still requires a certain volume to cancel out the train noise. On my 1000x m3s that is 50-60% tops on the Bose it is 70-80% even 100% volume whilst probably slightly too loud for me is certainly not uncomfortably so. I am amazed that no reviewers have flagged this, not one review I have read or watched mentioned the low volume. Oh and they also drop the connection when used on the move a lot!

Honestly the only reason I can see to choose these over the Sony’s is comfort, they are more comfortable for sure and do not cook my ears like the 1000x m3s do. I do not think that comfort outweighs the downsides though.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #948 of 2,082
What differences have you noticed?

I only have my one pair, so I personally haven't experienced anything. But reading through this thread, it sounds like people had issues with the microphone, driver flex (popping), and other issues that seemed to have been resolved (maybe) in the second batch of phones.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #950 of 2,082
Has anyone tried these with the Audioquest DragonFly Red external DAC? I'm thinking about getting 1 to use with my Note 9.
Yep. The XM3 sound great driven from a DragonFly Red, particularly when they’re powered on (with or without ANC). They continue to benefit from having the bass EQ-ed down a bit, but that aside, the DragonFly provides a nice bump in clarity over the wireless DAC.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #951 of 2,082
Yep. The XM3 sound great driven from a DragonFly Red, particularly when they’re powered on (with or without ANC). They continue to benefit from having the bass EQ-ed down a bit, but that aside, the DragonFly provides a nice bump in clarity over the wireless DAC.
Gotcha. I used these wired for the 1st time last night with the internal Samsung DAC & it seems like LDAC isn't too far off sound wise.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #956 of 2,082
Hello guys,

Questions to P7 Wireless owners or ex-owners:

I love my P7 Wireless headphone's sound signature, which is really lively and joyful instead of being more balanced as PX series. I bought a pair of PX but returned since I never like their sound which was so boring and boxed vs P7W's. I'm not a bass head, but still love a small amount of V shaped sound signature that I found in P7W.
But since I need ANC for commuting and flights, I'm again in the marker and reading about Sony WH1000XM3 which is being praised by "lively" sound signature lovers. In my country I couldn't find a shop that i can try them, all have boxed only :/ Can anyone here compare them with our lovely P7W's? I want to know how you can compare them in terms of sound quality and sound signature wise, out of the box or with Sony app EQ to tone down bases. Both acceptable for me. Since I use my phone to listen flac files plus Tidal Hifi, I can't depend on player apps EQ (like Onkyo app).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #957 of 2,082
Out of the box and without any EQ, the P7W sound better and more balanced than the XM3. However, after some EQ lovin' is applied to the XM3 to lower the bass and bring up the mids, they sound more balanced than (and just as lively as) the P7W. In fact, comparing them reveals just how 'chunky' the P7W midbass is, and how much smaller its soundstage is. Don't get me wrong: I love my P7W and won't ever part with them, but they're much heavier, they aren't as comfy, and the lack of ANC really does make them tougher to travel with. The XM3 is the first headphone that has executed ANC so well that it should be thought of as a sound quality benefit, not a drawback.

One other thing to note: the Sony app EQ only works when listening via AAC (or SBC, bleh), so if you're listening to FLAC from an Android phone or laptop, you'll probably need to rely on player-based EQ. It's a really stupid limitation.

(Oh! And agreed with you re: the PX. Comfort issues aside, I love how detailed the sound is, but it always felt somewhat artificial and boxy. I'd get used to it after a while and then be reminded of how odd it sounds every time I went back to the P7W, which has a signature I instantly loved despite the somewhat-heavy midbass.)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #959 of 2,082
In my experience and with my musical preferences (Various genres of Electronic music, especially techno and trance, R&B), Comparing these with the P7W, the P7W won hands down for me. I was constantly trying to apply different eq settings for each song on my xm3's and it was frustrating how i couldn't settle down on one. I have yet to find a wireless set with the sound signature of the P7W out of the box.
In terms of comfort and ANC features..Umm there is no comparison :) The P7W are not eve close to the XM3's in that department. I've experienced head fatigue and headband pain as early as within 15-20 minutes of wearing the P7W.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #960 of 2,082
(Oh! And agreed with you re: the PX. Comfort issues aside, I love how detailed the sound is, but it always felt somewhat artificial and boxy. I'd get used to it after a while and then be reminded of how odd it sounds every time I went back to the P7W, which has a signature I instantly loved despite the somewhat-heavy midbass.)
IMHO, the way felt to me was that the PX scoffed at any file I played over bluetooth. "Pssh, that's all you got? Fine". Whereas the XM3's take any file and say "OK, this might not be the best file, but I'll try my hardest to make it sound great!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back