SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #901 of 2,082
I was out with the xm3 for a 30 min walk in strong wind and light snow yesterday. About -1 degree.
No issues at all with the touch controlls for me. Working as it should.

Same here. Haven’t used them extensively but walking outside for 30 minutes today with strong wind and light snow (bordering on hail) and didn’t have any issues. Though now I worry about snow making its way into the microphone ports that face upwards.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #902 of 2,082
Same here. Haven’t used them extensively but walking outside for 30 minutes today with strong wind and light snow (bordering on hail) and didn’t have any issues. Though now I worry about snow making its way into the microphone ports that face upwards.

I stand corrected.

I was walking home from work and the wind was quite strong with a temperature of -6° C. While listening to my podcast I suddenly heard the Siri "do-do" activation prompt as if I had activated the voice assistant, which I did not. After a moment my podcast resumed playing. Later while standing on the train platform it happened again. This time there was no wind. A few moments later there was an announcement on the speaker system that I wanted to hear so I put my hand on the right ear-cup to enable the ambient noise pass through, which worked, but when I took my hand away the headphones did not re-enable ANC nor resume playing my podcast. In fact, none of the touch controls worked. Even pressing the hardware power button didn't read the current battery level to me like it usually does, nor did pressing the ANC button cycle it back to ANC mode. Seems like a bug that caused them to lock up - I had to power them off and back on again.

Very very strange.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #903 of 2,082
I stand corrected.

I was walking home from work and the wind was quite strong with a temperature of -6° C. While listening to my podcast I suddenly heard the Siri "do-do" activation prompt as if I had activated the voice assistant, which I did not. After a moment my podcast resumed playing. Later while standing on the train platform it happened again. This time there was no wind. A few moments later there was an announcement on the speaker system that I wanted to hear so I put my hand on the right ear-cup to enable the ambient noise pass through, which worked, but when I took my hand away the headphones did not re-enable ANC nor resume playing my podcast. In fact, none of the touch controls worked. Even pressing the hardware power button didn't read the current battery level to me like it usually does, nor did pressing the ANC button cycle it back to ANC mode. Seems like a bug that caused them to lock up - I had to power them off and back on again.

Very very strange.

I wonder what would happen if you changed the ANC setting via phone app.

Yesterday, the first time it ever happened, it was about 40F (4C) and a light/medium breeze, and Siri was activated while I was walking. I cancelled it from my phone, and my music and ANC resumed just fine.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #904 of 2,082
I had no issues at around 5C/41F in a long walk.

Out of curiosity, anyone operated the touchpad outdoors under strong winds but moderate temperatures? (0C/32F+) :)

Just wondering if it might be temperature, air pressure or perhaps a combo of both. Still puzzled tho, as the capacitive panel should be perfectly fine down to ridiculous temps. I didn't get to test it today but weather will go cold here (-2C/28F or lower) the upcoming week so I'll keep an eye on it.

So now I have to sub-zero test the new jacket and the new headphones. :dt880smile:

71BMxXW6PpL._UY741_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #905 of 2,082
I wonder what would happen if you changed the ANC setting via phone app.

Yesterday, the first time it ever happened, it was about 40F (4C) and a light/medium breeze, and Siri was activated while I was walking. I cancelled it from my phone, and my music and ANC resumed just fine.

Good question, I’ll try if it happens again.

Listened to music on the train for 45 minutes with no issues after my above comments. Stepped out into the cold and 5 minutes later the song I was half way through listening to started over again.

Part of me thinks it’s actually me causing this behavior somehow - but I can’t really come up with any plausible explanations. For example, is my phone screen turned on in my pocket and something’s pushing the playback buttons? The answer is no, but if not for you guys talking about this happening in cold weather I’d really be stumped!

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #906 of 2,082
I feel giving us the option to turn the touch controls off via the app would be great. For all the intuitive controls, i much prefer physical buttons and toggles. The gen 1 V-moda crossfade wireless headsets i use for the gym have never ever had an issue like this.

Nov 22, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #907 of 2,082
I feel giving us the option to turn the touch controls off via the app would be great. For all the intuitive controls, i much prefer physical buttons and toggles. The gen 1 V-moda crossfade wireless headsets i use for the gym have never ever had an issue like this.

I second that. I'm sure Sony can tweak both firmware and the app to make the touchpad disable if required.
I actually love the touchpad but it would add some flexibility in cases where it's not essential - for example, I sometimes take walks with my hoodie on when it is windy/cold and the hood rubs on the pads. With the previous generations that was enough to trigger touches (I expect the same to happen with the M3).

Sadly, today isn't very cold here but I'll still have a walk at 2/35F C at the end of the day. Going to see if anything funky happens with the controls.

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #908 of 2,082
Sadly, today isn't very cold here but I'll still have a walk at 2/35F C at the end of the day. Going to see if anything funky happens with the controls.

Confirmed. 15 minute walk in 2C and moderate wind. Zero issues with random activation of the pad, nor problems controlling it intentionally.
Keep in mind that your jackets might sometimes touch the pads without you noticing, triggering an accidental touch without being obvious.

I'll test this many more times as temperatures will soon go down to freezing and I do 30 min walks outside often.

Something I confirmed pleasantly is that the M3 is indeed a lot more wind-tolerant than the M1/M2 in terms of noise. Both with ANC and Ambient Sound, there's a huge decrease in wind noise. Pretty relevant for anyone using it outside frequently in windy situations.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #909 of 2,082
Hello

For those who use the Onkyo HF Player (or other apps like that), can you show how is your eq to tame the (most times) overbearing bass to increase clarity without it losing fun?

I’m new to this and am kind of learning as i go. :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #911 of 2,082
this maybe a newbie question, if you are using Bluetooth, does it use the DAC on the DAP? and just transmit the output of the DAC via Bluetooth

No it will pass the digital signal via Bluetooth and bypass the on-board DAC. The digital-to-analog conversion will be handled by the DAC in the headphones.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #912 of 2,082
this maybe a newbie question, if you are using Bluetooth, does it use the DAC on the DAP? and just transmit the output of the DAC via Bluetooth
The Bluetooth receiver (headphones) does all the work so even a good smartphone makes an excellent source.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #913 of 2,082
Hello

For those who use the Onkyo HF Player (or other apps like that), can you show how is your eq to tame the (most times) overbearing bass to increase clarity without it losing fun?

I’m new to this and am kind of learning as i go. :)
I trimmed around 190Hz I think by close to 4db, I also trimmed around 125Hz down about 3db and finally I think it was around 60Hz taken down about 1.5db. Experiment around those frequencies. Find a track with a repeating bassline that is clearly problematic. Start with one cut and drag the handle for the frequency around and see as the frequency changes if you like the effect. You can change the frequency and amplitude of the cut at the same time so if you find a good spot to settle on for a frequency, try adjusting how much you cut and see. Sometimes less of a cut is good, sometimes not. Then after you dial in what works, try another frequency unless the one cut is enough for you, we all hear somewhat differently so my preference may not be yours. I don't find the fun was taken out of them at all, it just became a more accurate "fun" sounding headphone in my opinion.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #914 of 2,082
No it will pass the digital signal via Bluetooth and bypass the on-board DAC. The digital-to-analog conversion will be handled by the DAC in the headphones.
I'd like to clarify that the original digital input doesn't pass straight through. It will be recoded and compressed by the Bluetooth codec (SBC, aptX, LDAC, etc) for transmission over the limited Bluetooth bandwidth. However, the signal remains digital until it gets to the digital-to-analog converter on the headphone.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #915 of 2,082
I'd like to clarify that the original digital input doesn't pass straight through. It will be recoded and compressed by the Bluetooth codec (SBC, aptX, LDAC, etc) for transmission over the limited Bluetooth bandwidth. However, the signal remains digital until it gets to the digital-to-analog converter on the headphone.
Is AAC exempt from transcoding in this case? I figured it would be since it’s an actual file format that the headphones understand natively, whereas SBC/aptX/LDAC are transmission protocols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back