SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #481 of 2,082
If you don't pay attention, you don't notice the lag, but if you really pay attention, you will notice the mouth and voices are out of sync. It's not what I really consider out of sync as I have tried some wireless headphones that were obviously out of sync. So, it's very minor to be really noticeable unless you really pay attention for it. So, it's acceptable for video watching.

Rtings measured the latency to be 224 ms. So, you will hear .2 second delay when watching video.

The jabra 65t active which I just recently purchased and will be returning have a measured latency on Rtings of 227ms. It's noticeable and enough to annoy me.

Guess I'll scrap the idea of getting the xm3 then

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #482 of 2,082
The jabra 65t active which I just recently purchased and will be returning have a measured latency on Rtings of 227ms. It's noticeable and enough to annoy me.

Guess I'll scrap the idea of getting the xm3 then
That's a smart way to figure out without trying it out. I guess we have different threshold in what is acceptable or not.

Here's the issue at hand. BT is probably not area you want to look for if such a level of latency is annoying for you. I watch movies on my TV due to movies looking it's best through it, and you will find that TV support for codecs isn't great. Mine has AptX, but not AptX LL. Another issue is, both sides has to have the codec, and with AptX LL, it would be rare to find one on either side that has this codec. So, a very good audio sync via BT will be near impossible to find given the options out there.

Just because it's blue tooth 5.0 doesn't mean much, the codec support is more important as that's how devices communicate and how we can distinguish the performances of the connections. Perhaps the double the bandwidth of the 2 mbps BT 5.0 would make the connections more stable.

On another note, I've done some more testing of LDAC-HQ (990 kbps) codec from my little Shanling M0 and the M3. I was in Cosco (a large warehouse store) and as soon as I walked in, the signal broke apart. It was really annoying. Signal would becomes static and break apart. No way I can use it under these conditions!

It seems 990 kbps is unstable under certain conditions. It's the highest bit rate and BT probably has trouble in certain conditions for the signal to be stable. In my home and other places LDAC-HQ, I have no issues, so perhaps it's an issue with interference?

They really need to clean up BT, it's still not stable yet.

Anybody faced BT interference before or in an airplane (this I want to test out)?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #483 of 2,082
One Question about Operation.

With 1gen you can reach Ambient Voice Mode with one Button.

Back to Full ANC one button click too.

Since XM2 one Button ist left.

How about changing to Ancient Voice and back?

Thank you

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #485 of 2,082
One Question about Operation.

With 1gen you can reach Ambient Voice Mode with one Button.

Back to Full ANC one button click too.

Since XM2 one Button ist left.

How about changing to Ancient Voice and back?

Thank you

The ANC button cycles around three options:

1. Full noise cancelling mode
2. Ambient sound mode (configurable in app... you can set it to focus on voice or adjust the noise cancelling between full to 20% only)
3. NC off

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #486 of 2,082
The ANC button cycles around three options:

1. Full noise cancelling mode
2. Ambient sound mode (configurable in app... you can set it to focus on voice or adjust the noise cancelling between full to 20% only)
3. NC off

Thank you,
so it´s much worse changing between NC und ambient voice :frowning2:

With my 1000x it´s one click to ambient voice and back to Full ANC,
or one click to full ambience and back to full ANC.

Now you have 1 click more and have to choose about ambient mode, not very advanced.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #487 of 2,082
Thank you,
so it´s much worse changing between NC und ambient voice :frowning2:

With my 1000x it´s one click to ambient voice and back to Full ANC,
or one click to full ambience and back to full ANC.

Now you have 1 click more and have to choose about ambient mode, not very advanced.
It's actually better. You cover the right cup with your hand, and sound passes through. It's one of the biggest feature for M3 IMO. It makes it so that you don't have to scamble to take off the headphone, but quickly pass sound when necessary.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #490 of 2,082
That's a smart way to figure out without trying it out. I guess we have different threshold in what is acceptable or not.

Here's the issue at hand. BT is probably not area you want to look for if such a level of latency is annoying for you. I watch movies on my TV due to movies looking it's best through it, and you will find that TV support for codecs isn't great. Mine has AptX, but not AptX LL. Another issue is, both sides has to have the codec, and with AptX LL, it would be rare to find one on either side that has this codec. So, a very good audio sync via BT will be near impossible to find given the options out there.

Just because it's blue tooth 5.0 doesn't mean much, the codec support is more important as that's how devices communicate and how we can distinguish the performances of the connections. Perhaps the double the bandwidth of the 2 mbps BT 5.0 would make the connections more stable.

On another note, I've done some more testing of LDAC-HQ (990 kbps) codec from my little Shanling M0 and the M3. I was in Cosco (a large warehouse store) and as soon as I walked in, the signal broke apart. It was really annoying. Signal would becomes static and break apart. No way I can use it under these conditions!

It seems 990 kbps is unstable under certain conditions. It's the highest bit rate and BT probably has trouble in certain conditions for the signal to be stable. In my home and other places LDAC-HQ, I have no issues, so perhaps it's an issue with interference?

They really need to clean up BT, it's still not stable yet.

Anybody faced BT interference before or in an airplane (this I want to test out)?
I have the exact same issue!!! I work in a mall & the signal cuts out like crazy when I'm walking through it! Smh. That's a shame.

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #493 of 2,082
It's actually better. You cover the right cup with your hand, and sound passes through. It's one of the biggest feature for M3 IMO. It makes it so that you don't have to scamble to take off the headphone, but quickly pass sound when necessary.
The M2 has that feature as well. I use it when the wife's talking so I don't have to take them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back