Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Oct 16, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #226 of 634
I just got mine from the Prime sale. They're pretty terrible. The sound is boomy and muddy. Treble sounds off.
My Audeze Mobius sounded MUCH better.
Also my sound went away when trying to change windows on my computer and I can't get it back.
I'm returning them.
mine sounds great on mobile, using dsp adjustments from wavelet app

guess you are just using it wrong, not how sony intended it to be used, on a pc. don't blame the can, blame yourself

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #227 of 634

guess you are just using it wrong, not how sony intended it to be used, on a pc. don't blame the can, blame yourself

Oh, you're right, I was using them on my foot and not my head. Thanks for pointing that out. :rolling_eyes:

I also made the mistake of using them with a PC. I should have known Sony only designed them to be used with cell phones.

VQo8Gwv.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #228 of 634
I just got mine from the Prime sale. They're pretty terrible. The sound is boomy and muddy. Treble sounds off.
My Audeze Mobius sounded MUCH better.
Also my sound went away when trying to change windows on my computer and I can't get it back.
I'm returning them.
I didn't have super high expectations when i got them, and while the mobius is technicly superior in basicly every way except anc, i'd say point me to any bluetooth overear that sounds great on a pc. Some are better than others no doubt, and i'm not necessarily an SBC hater, it's capable of more than people give it credit for but also not all BT products are created the same and the OEM has to put work in to each product to get the best performance from the drivers, the voicing etc. These are meant for mobile use and LDAC is a really capable codec. Also you can eq these. The default sound is horrible to my ears, but after eq i'm pleasantly surprised. I don't know if i'll keep them, but i feel better about that posibility than i did the first night i had them.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #229 of 634
xm4 somehow sounds better with anc on

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #232 of 634
anc on
wavelet profile
graphic eq slight adjustment
perfect

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #233 of 634
I didn't have super high expectations when i got them, and while the mobius is technicly superior in basicly every way except anc, i'd say point me to any bluetooth overear that sounds great on a pc. Some are better than others no doubt, and i'm not necessarily an SBC hater, it's capable of more than people give it credit for but also not all BT products are created the same and the OEM has to put work in to each product to get the best performance from the drivers, the voicing etc. These are meant for mobile use and LDAC is a really capable codec. Also you can eq these. The default sound is horrible to my ears, but after eq i'm pleasantly surprised. I don't know if i'll keep them, but i feel better about that posibility than i did the first night i had them.
If you EQ these do they still utilise LDAC at highest but rate or do they fall to a more compressed codec?

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #235 of 634
xm4 somehow sounds better with anc on
It's because the active EQ when powered on enhances the sound. It sounds odd without EQ.

I'm one of those people that really dislike the sound of Mobius and it's gimmick surround. I prefer the XM3 over it. Mobius's sound response is kinda wonky to be honest. XM3 doesn't have much imaging capabilities due to the no pad room, but it has good detailing I didn't find with Mobius. Mobius is an odd mid resonance sound I really hated. It's got s weird wonky planar sound. Audeze really do not know how to control their drivers or tune a good response.

Mobius
mobius-raw-frequency-response-r-14-graph-small.jpg

I will also say XM3 sound better than Bose QC or NC overears. BOSE has an artifitial sheen to it's sound. Jusr do not sound natural enough. Bass isn't bloated, but the sound in general isn't as refined and natural sounding as XM3.

So, I do prefer Sony for ANC and SQ for wireless usage. Only issue is the bass, and I'll take that over wireless.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #236 of 634
Mobius is a product that was not ready for market. You require a Microsoft Windows Computer to update firmware. And yes firmware update is very important. So no iOS/Android App to do this.

Also you have to face your device otherwise sound stays in one side because HRT was poorly implemented.
I used with my AppleTV4k and Android TV. The sound was stuck on right side. I asked Audeze abd they said update firmware. No can’t update firmware because we don’t all use Windows PC’s. A badly thought out product. Yet Reviewers with free sample units were aggressively masturbating over them.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #237 of 634
Mobius is a product that was not ready for market. You require a Microsoft Windows Computer to update firmware. And yes firmware update is very important. So no iOS/Android App to do this.

Also you have to face your device otherwise sound stays in one side because HRT was poorly implemented.
I used with my AppleTV4k and Android TV. The sound was stuck on right side. I asked Audeze abd they said update firmware. No can’t update firmware because we don’t all use Windows PC’s. A badly thought out product. Yet Reviewers with free sample units were aggressively masturbating over them.
No kidding, looking back, was there Audeze headphones that weren't flavor of the month hypes? At this point, I expect hypes that don't jive with me.

I wish Sony can tighten the bass on XM series, and we are good. That's pretty much all it needs. I'm fine with with has bass quantity as long as it doesn't bleed and distinct from rest of the spectrum. I've heard bass with high quantity that sounds good.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #238 of 634

I don't think that the WH-1000XM4 was designed as a "mobile phone exclusive" product, to be honest. Sure, many of its customers are probably on-the-go users, looking at this headphone as a solution to their mobile-listening needs. Still, with its baked-in multi-device function, I'm sure that it was Sony's intention to market the WH-1000XM4 as a product that can and should be used seamlessly between your mobile phone and your computer.

With that said, I have had no issues whatsoever when using my WH-1000XM4 between my desktop PC and my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Sure, it's not a "great" headphone, but it's a good one, IMO.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #239 of 634
If you EQ these do they still utilise LDAC at highest but rate or do they fall to a more compressed codec?
Mine won't switch from 660 KBPS to 990 while eqed from the app. But i've already uninstalled the app so i'm going to either, A eq from my V60, leave it as is which is the bright seting from the app which i can definitely nitpick but i do like the setting quite a bit, or reinstall the app, set things back to default and give that wavelet eq a shot. Then shouldn't have any trouble switching to 990 KBPS

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #240 of 634
Mine won't switch from 660 KBPS to 990 while eqed from the app. But i've already uninstalled the app so i'm going to either, A eq from my V60, leave it as is which is the bright seting from the app which i can definitely nitpick but i do like the setting quite a bit, or reinstall the app, set things back to default and give that wavelet eq a shot. Then shouldn't have any trouble switching to 990 KBPS
Thank you. Please let us know. The reason i ask is XM3 falls to SBC when eq, yet YouTube reviewers didn’t observe this massive compromise. Sounded rubbish in SBC so I returned the XM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back