Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 634
I'm having issues with my note 10+ with ldac 990 kbps stuttering with my wh-1000xm4. I have no problems connecting it with 660 kbps. Would there be something to bridge this to resolve the stuttering? Or just leave it as is? As I want to connect the xm4 to my laptop as well.

I've considered a DAP, but I watch a lot of videos and such on the go so I won't go with a DAP cause I want to be able to answer calls as well.

Sources I either use Spotify (which won't be an issue) and some 24/96 flacs

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #32 of 634
All I want the XM4 to do is provide good voice/sound through discord or zoom while still playing music or providing decent sound quality in games. I'm in group conversations a lot while away for the office and id love a one piece solution while travelling. I know bandwidth has been the problem but my MacBook and the XM4 have Bluetooth 5 so im hopeful. If it works well I'll buy them straight away.

Call me, I'll let you have a listen. But I have yet to test the microphone quality. I should record some voice messages at home and outdoors to test

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #33 of 634
I'm having issues with my note 10+ with ldac 990 kbps stuttering with my wh-1000xm4. I have no problems connecting it with 660 kbps.

I have the same thing with my S10 5G, will try from my Sony DAP later to see if it's the phone or the headphones

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #34 of 634
I have the same thing with my S10 5G, will try from my Sony DAP later to see if it's the phone or the headphones
I think there is a high chance that it's the phone. I've seen several others report the stuttering issue with 990 kbps. So I was wondering if there is something in between that I can use like a the BTR3 from FiiO. Or it would make no difference cause the connection from phone to BT receiver would be the weakest link

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #35 of 634
I think there is a high chance that it's the phone. I've seen several others report the stuttering issue with 990 kbp

Yep, working perfectly from my ZX507

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #36 of 634
Long time lurker here, these are just my first impressions as an newcomer to wireless headphones with noise cancelling.

Received mine yesterday, comparing them to a set of PX7's I have on loan;

For my tastes I enjoy their sound a lot more than that of the PX7. As with the PX7 they have overbearing bass (for my tastes), but it is not the same type of bass (for lack of a better term). Once dialled back (and I'd rather dial back than have to try and add) a bit they sound very musical. Not as muffled and fatiguing as with the PX7.

Observations;
To get LDAC working on my Sansung Note I had to enable Developer Tools, adjust the bluetooth settings and then afterwards enable the slider under the settings of the paired bluetooth device. It was missing at first.
The highest LDAC setting stutters. But this seems to be a known android issue on some phones.
I like the materials used on the PX7 more. On my head the PX7 sits more comfortable. The XM4 has slightly shallower cups, and they get slightly uncomfortable after a hour or two. They have less clamping force and a overall looser feel, I would probably prefer the PX7 for commuting, but I have no interest in buying them due to how they sound.
LDAC is not available when using multipoint pairing in the app. Mine defaults to AAC.
Unlike the PX7, I cannot listen to music on my computer when connecting via a USB C to A cable (or C to C on my mobile phone).

Negative;
I'm experiencing stutter and lag when paired with my Samsung television, with or without multipoint pairing. I do not experience this at all with the PX7. I have found at least one other user on Youtube with the same issue on a LG tv.

Everything else seems great, especially the noise cancelling, app and sound signature, but if I cannot sort the television connection issues, I might return them and try the Aonic 50.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #37 of 634
Yep, working perfectly from my ZX507
It better for like 800 USD.

I tried my WF-1000XM3's on my bosses ZX507 and I had to step away as I knew if i listened any longer i'd cave. I'm still debating on if it's even worth getting a DAP for the XM4s or a bluetooth DAC, if it can resolve the stuttering issue

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #38 of 634
To get LDAC working on my Sansung Note I had to enable Developer Tools, adjust the bluetooth settings and then afterwards enable the slider under the settings of the paired bluetooth device. It was missing at first.
The highest LDAC setting stutters. But this seems to be a known android issue on some phones.

Yeah, i'm trying to look for a fix or i'll have to stick with LDAC 660 kbps

LDAC is not available when using multipoint pairing in the app. Mine defaults to AAC.

Yeah, Sony mentioned that if you use this method, it can only use SBC or AAC

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 634
Long time lurker here, these are just my first impressions as an newcomer to wireless headphones with noise cancelling.

Received mine yesterday, comparing them to a set of PX7's I have on loan;

For my tastes I enjoy their sound a lot more than that of the PX7. As with the PX7 they have overbearing bass (for my tastes), but it is not the same type of bass (for lack of a better term). Once dialled back (and I'd rather dial back than have to try and add) a bit they sound very musical. Not as muffled and fatiguing as with the PX7.

Observations;
I like the materials used on the PX7 more. On my head the PX7 sits more comfortable. The XM4 has slightly shallower cups, and they get slightly uncomfortable after a hour or two. They have less clamping force and a overall looser feel, I would probably prefer the PX7 for commuting, but I have no interest in buying them due to how they sound.
Unlike the PX7, I cannot listen to music on my computer when connecting via a USB C to A cable (or C to C on my mobile phone).

Negative;
I'm experiencing stutter and lag when paired with my Samsung television, with or without multipoint pairing. I do not experience this at all with the PX7. I have found at least one other user on Youtube with the same issue on a LG tv.

Everything else seems great, especially the noise cancelling, app and sound signature, but if I cannot sort the television connection issues, I might return them and try the Aonic 50.
That's great advice, would be good to enable ldac on Galaxy tab s6

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #42 of 634
With every release of these headphones, i've been tempted off and on, but haven't bought them for 1 reason or another. Headband cracking, no multipoint, bloomy sloppy bass, etc. i'm sure the eq is at a point where i could get a sound i enjoy, but no multipoint while in use with LDAC? IF the Shure Aonic 50 can do that, then the XM4 definitely should be able to imo, since LDAC is sony's creation. i'm not at all surprised the XM4 doesn't have APTX or APTX HD. i have a great lineup as is, but i liked what i heard from the WH H910N a lot, and so i wonder if the XM4 are tuned similar to those, or closer to the XM3. Based on the few reviews i've seen, not to mention they are the successor to the XM3, i'm guessing the XM4 sound more like the XM3.
if the 910n had been $50-70 cheaper, i may have kept them.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #43 of 634
I grabbed a pair, build quality seems good so far! Sound wise they are extremely similar to the 3's, I'd say that the low end might be a little different but that could also be my memory playing up lol.

The adaptive sound control and speak to chat features are really cool. Mic is improved from the 3 (at least in quiet environment), will still stick with the NC700's for meetings though.

How are the pads? On the 3’s my ears touch the inside of the headphone. Is this issue fixed based on your experience with the 4’s?

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #44 of 634
How are the pads? On the 3’s my ears touch the inside of the headphone. Is this issue fixed based on your experience with the 4’s?

They're a bit thicker than I remember from the 3's but not massively different so if you had issues before I'm not sure these would fix it.

I've been really enjoying them for the past few days, definitely a better experience from my Walkman rather than my phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back