Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 634
in my opinion, if you already have WH-1000XM3, probably not sufficent changes or new killer apps to upgrade, but if you have the original MDR-1000x or WH-1000XM2, best to demo it and see if the 2-3 generation gap has significant improvements in sound quality to justify the upgrade.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #17 of 634
I bought Shure AONIC 50. I suspected XM4 will be coming out this fall. But I dislike XM3 because it is too bass heavy and vocals (mids) are too recessed. So I didn't think I need to wait for XM4.

Now, at 8:42 mark, he says XM3 vocals actually has more body, while XM4 vocal sounds even thinner. Wow, completely opposite of what I'm looking for. Good thing I didn't wait.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 634
So, luckily not feeling bad about selling the mdr1000x and getting the 1000XM3 cheap (er) some months back.

No apt-x\ hd so only sbc in windows. Also multipoint not working with ldac, so then stuck with sbc again.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #19 of 634
Just preordered my set. The only other ANC I was really considering was the sennheiser and that’s due to sound quality. Wonder what the difference is between the two as I heard that the xm4 has an improvement in soundstage etc

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 634
I hope they improved the headband with its cracking issues. I gave my xm3 to my kids for that reason...
It look exactly the same though... How many generations would it take?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 634
Only thing thats tempting me to upgrade is the pause music when lifted from head. Wonder if that could be implemented via firmware on older models?

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #23 of 634
Only thing thats tempting me to upgrade is the pause music when lifted from head. Wonder if that could be implemented via firmware on older models?
As it uses a sensor within one of the ear cups to detect this I doubt Sony would be able to update older models with this feature.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 634
Any word about headband build quality? As I'm sure most here are aware the three previous generations had issues with headbands cracking. I returned my 1st gen MDR-1000X after the headband started cracking, luckily the warranty hasn't expired yet and Amazon was willing to accept a return. I then closely monitored forums and user reviews of the next two generation hoping that Sony will change the design to prevent this issue from recurring. They did make some changes, but there are still many reports of cracking headbands, even with the XM3. This can't be attributed to user error or mistreatment, because none of the similarly-priced competitors have this issue.

Before I consider buying the XM4 (which look very tempting in every other way) I'll wait a year to see if there are no such reports. If there's a serious tear-down & stress test review that shows design changes that are likely to lead to decent durability with this model, I may bite earlier.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #25 of 634
All I want the XM4 to do is provide good voice/sound through discord or zoom while still playing music or providing decent sound quality in games. I'm in group conversations a lot while away for the office and id love a one piece solution while travelling. I know bandwidth has been the problem but my MacBook and the XM4 have Bluetooth 5 so im hopeful. If it works well I'll buy them straight away.

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 634
I grabbed a pair, build quality seems good so far! Sound wise they are extremely similar to the 3's, I'd say that the low end might be a little different but that could also be my memory playing up lol.

The adaptive sound control and speak to chat features are really cool. Mic is improved from the 3 (at least in quiet environment), will still stick with the NC700's for meetings though.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #30 of 634
( Background - I've had the XM3s from the start (gel with them/love them), & fyi the WFs too)

Main reason for posting right now - is the surprise absolute deal-maker with the XM4s - you do *not* need to downgrade the 'Connection type' to 'Prioritise Stability', in order to use the Sony in-app equaliser/custom equalising settings. On the XM3s, it did, & so forced you into SBC codec. With the XM4s - you get to stay on LDAC!! I understand that this ties in with 'where' the settings are memorised - this has been changed for the XM4s, hence the improved situation.

Overall - a material & worthwhile upgrade, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back