Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 634

XM3orZ7m2

100+ Head-Fier
Thread for discussions and reviews.

Main differences from xm3 from the live stream:
  1. Lighter plastic / no creaking in the headband
  2. Earcup using a newer, softer synthetic leather. Stiching moved away from points of ear contact
  3. DSEE Extreme, aka more accurate upscaling, especially in the higher frequencies
  4. Multipoint (finally)
  5. Auto play pause via infrared proximity sensor
  6. Speak to chat, automatic detection of your voice to adjust ANC
  7. Custom button
  8. Bluetooth 5.0
  9. No aptx support
  10. 1 added microphone - improved voice quality, better ANC
  11. Less audio lag when gaming, demo in the second youtube video below
  12. Free use of graphic equalizer in wireless mode
High quality reviews:

First impressions:

xm4 vs xm3:

xm4 vs Momentum 3:

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2020/06/sony-introduces-wh-1000xm4.html

I've only found 1 high quality youtuber so far, as defined by having a detailed review of the xm3 posted on their channel as well, and have embedded their videos above. Please let me know when newer high quality reviewers come out with their review

Release Live Stream archive

Corporate reviews / medium quality youtuber reviews:
https://www.theverge.com/21356313/s...celing-headphones-review-price-specs-features
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sony-wh-1000xm4-review
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-wh-1000xm4-4032569
https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sony-wh-1000xm4-review/

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 634
I agree @Bingo777, XM4 took 2 years to come out as well, and they were probably extremely well funded from their XM3 success. Through the leaks I decided to go with the Z7m2 instead.

I would really like to see simultaneous usb-c audio input / charging for their next model. Sennheiser has had that feature for a long time now. Maybe they could also bring that new battery saving technology over as well for people who like to use their xm3/4s wired most of the time. That way the battery could stay at 50% for the most part until you tell it to charge all the way.

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 634
I agree @Bingo777, XM4 took 2 years to come out as well, and they were probably extremely well funded from their XM3 success. Through the leaks I decided to go with the Z7m2 instead.

I would really like to see simultaneous usb-c audio input / charging for their next model. Sennheiser has had that feature for a long time now. Maybe they could also bring that new battery saving technology over as well for people who like to use their xm3/4s wired most of the time. That way the battery could stay at 50% for the most part until you tell it to charge all the way.

2 years - I was expecting new ANC chip instead they just fixed few bugs and added minor features. I'm sure they do have new chip but they decided to milk customers longer. Well, no reason to upgrade from my XM2 same chip, same driver, it will be 95% as good as XM4. I refuse to buy unless they add something worthy, these "new features" are a joke.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 634
Announced today with bunch of reviews out there now. I need to know if the bass and lower mids is toned down. This guy says that the response got tilted cooler with more presence in the upper frequencies with lower mids toned down. We gonnna have to see. XM3 did have a warmish tonality which I didn't mind, but the bass was bloated (which is the most important fix for me, well, besides the microphone which seem slight of an improvement).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 634
I think the xm3 has a new noise canceling chip. You're probably right that they're milking customers, but Sony's not known for doing that. They are known to deprecate previous models (z7, xm1,xm2,qualia, and many many more), design newer standards like 4.4mm jack, LDAC, 360 Reality Audio, their own amp, 70mm dynamic drivers, their own balanced armature drivers. They aren't one to sit back and rely on their old R&D (cough sennheiser cough). Perhaps the AI upscaling took a lot of work, since no other company is even attempting it.

@Bingo777 What major features would you have liked to see? Another feature I really wanted them to have was onboard parameterized EQ. That could be game changing

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 634
I like that the Wear Sensors will shut down/power on the headset just like on the B&&W PX7, but other than that I'm not too tempted to get these. I'll prob wait for when there are headphones with Bluetooth 5.2.

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 634
I think the xm3 has a new noise canceling chip. You're probably right that they're milking customers, but Sony's not known for doing that. They are known to deprecate previous models (z7, xm1,xm2,qualia, and many many more), design newer standards like 4.4mm jack, LDAC, 360 Reality Audio, their own amp, 70mm dynamic drivers, their own balanced armature drivers. They aren't one to sit back and rely on their old R&D (cough sennheiser cough). Perhaps the AI upscaling took a lot of work, since no other company is even attempting it.

@Bingo777 What major features would you have liked to see? Another feature I really wanted them to have was onboard parameterized EQ. That could be game changing

It was 2 years since last release so I expected new ANC chip and major improvements in sound. They could improve pads by adding microdots to make XM3 less hot and sweaty and maybe give option for genuine leather. Did they add EQ for LDAC ? Looks XM4 is targeted to new customers, as there is not much improvements to upgrade from XM2 or even less from XM3. But at least breaking/cracking band is fixed and it's a feature now :dt880smile:

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 634
Great video - NC for voices seems to be much better
new firmware update for xm4 is already anounced

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 634
It was 2 years since last release so I expected new ANC chip and major improvements in sound. They could improve pads by adding microdots to make XM3 less hot and sweaty and maybe give option for genuine leather. Did they add EQ for LDAC ? Looks XM4 is targeted to new customers, as there is not much improvements to upgrade from XM2 or even less from XM3. But at least breaking/cracking band is fixed and it's a feature now :dt880smile:
I agree. I currently have the XM2 and really can't justify spending money for the incremental / quality of life upgrades. I think the state of the market is basically if you already have a high performing set of ANC headphones (Sony, Bose etc.) then there really isn't any incentive to look for an upgrade or other options.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 634
So did they increase the size of the pads? My ears touch the inside of the Sony WH-1000XM3 which I really dislike (but I bought it for only $100 during black friday luckly)

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 634

the design maybe similar, but your presumption that there are minor tweaks is incorrect, there are major changes, wh-1000xm4 uses MT2811S mediatek system on chip which apparently has significant noise cancellation features than previous, smart features such as take of headphones automatically stops the music, exterior sound adjustment so you can talk to people, listen to PA, or full NC mode, however, the disadvantage this chipset does not support aptx hd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back