Sony wh-1000xm3 or something else?
Dec 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

atino

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for wireless bluetooth closed back headphones. My use case is taking this on the train in my city while commuting to work, plugging them in with a cable when I get to work, commute home, and then sometimes plug them in for short gaming sessions. Also a bit of travel (short flights, road trips, etc.)

Would the XM3's be the best option here? I'm worried that in general, I've heard that SQ isn't the best with ANC headphones. I also haven't read anything about their quality when gaming (although this is a lesser concern). I'm willing to sacrifice some ANC if it means I can get something with better SQ, but I want to stay around that $350 range or lower.

What I've been using and enjoying: I've been using ATH-IM70 IEMs for the past 3 years. I like the warm signature, but they can be pretty uncomfortable because of their bulk when commuting. It sounds pretty good to me when I listen to a bunch of different genres (90s hip hop, current pop, alternative, prog rock, etc.)

I am open to any suggestions, thanks!

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 7
I would go for the Sony. I was looking into buying them but don't have direct experience other than bestbuy display. Reviews say sq is slightly better than Bose qc35.

I own vmoda crossfade2 which sound better than Bose qc35, imo. But the Bose are dead silent at my job, and the vmoda I consider semi closed.

Hope it helps

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm also curious about this - looking for a mid/premium range headphone that's both wireless and over-the-ears/closed for using on the train rides to and from work.

Something like the XM3, PX, KEF Space One Wireless, or otherwise?

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 7
I tried on the PX in magnolia store, but the shape didn't fit my ears too good. If they fit you good, thats another good option.

BTW do you have places to buy them or try locally?

PS Nice avatar.

Dec 29, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I tried on the PX in magnolia store, but the shape didn't fit my ears too good. If they fit you good, thats another good option.

PS Nice avatar.

I've tried them once at the Hifi Center in Vancouver but they started giving me a sore spot on the top of my head after about 45 minutes.

I can go to the Hifi Center or Headphone Bar in Vancouver to try any headphones they have, so I may end up doing that tomorrow... though I'm not sure what I'd be looking for just yet.

Also, thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 7

PS Nice avatar.

Unfortunately, I’m not really near any audio store so I have to buy blind. The PX was also on my shortlist with the Sony’s. But they’re that uncomfortable? I’ve read that from a few others as well.

Anything else I should have on my short list? I view ANC as a bonus and not the main feature. Sorry for all the questions, buying blind sucks!

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I wouldn't really say uncomfortable. Same as how some people need small tips for the iem and some need large.

Guess my ears are too big for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back