Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #2,746 of 2,999
Am I rightly thinking whichever bud you take out of the case first acts as the main bud and does most of the work?
As I understand it there is no main bud, both buds connect directly and independently to the source but I could be wrong

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #2,747 of 2,999
They are independent but until they release the new multipoint firmware still only one device at a time

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #2,748 of 2,999
Strange things with software update on my xm4.
Had version 1.4.2 installed since bying them in december, last week got notification for update to version 1.5.0.
Update took only seconds to install, headphone app then showed version 1.5.0.

Today update notification again, to version 1.4.2 ???? Thats weird.
Had no time yet to install, will try later and see what's going on.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #2,749 of 2,999
Strange things with software update on my xm4.
Had version 1.4.2 installed since bying them in december, last week got notification for update to version 1.5.0.
Update took only seconds to install, headphone app then showed version 1.5.0.

Today update notification again, to version 1.4.2 ???? Thats weird.
Had no time yet to install, will try later and see what's going on.

It's weird that it only took some seconds, it doesn't sound like an actual update. Also, the update for 1.4.2 requires the version to be less than this in order for it to be shown as an available update, so if you're on 1.5.0 then it shouldn't trigger an update to 1.4.2:

1675090066605.png

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2,750 of 2,999
It's weird that it only took some seconds, it doesn't sound like an actual update. Also, the update for 1.4.2 requires the version to be less than this in order for it to be shown as an available update, so if you're on 1.5.0 then it shouldn't trigger an update to 1.4.2:

1675090066605.png
Sometimes the app fails to read the version in the buds and suggests a fw that is already on the buds. For me it has several times happened that the app suddenly decides that the buds have version 0.0.0

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,751 of 2,999
Sometimes the app fails to read the version in the buds and suggests a fw that is already on the buds. For me it has several times happened that the app suddenly decides that the buds have version 0.0.0
Ah ok, it showed 0.0.0 when the notification came. Made a reset later, now it shows 1.5.0 again...
But like MrWalkman wrote above it's strange that the update from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0 went so quick...but whatever all works fine now, thanks for response.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #2,752 of 2,999
A few days ago I visited a Sony demo room and play around my WF-1000XM4 with NW-ZX707, I try to set the Bluetooth connection quality to LDAC but can’t find way to do it. The Sony staff told me that under Sony Headphones Apps, if the Bluetooth Connection Quality is ’Priority on Sound Quality’, then it is connected with LDAC. Is it true?

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #2,753 of 2,999
A few days ago I visited a Sony demo room and play around my WF-1000XM4 with NW-ZX707, I try to set the Bluetooth connection quality to LDAC but can’t find way to do it. The Sony staff told me that under Sony Headphones Apps, if the Bluetooth Connection Quality is ’Priority on Sound Quality’, then it is connected with LDAC. Is it true?
If you haven’t done so, go to your phone settings / connections / Bluetooth then select the settings for XM4 and make sure LDAC is enabled (or something like that - this is what you do in a Samsung S22 Ultra). I don’t think that the Sony app can enable LDAC if it isn’t enabled in the phone‘s Bluetooth settings. In the app you can set Oriority on Sound Quality, but that tells the devices to use the highest bit rate version of LDAC, if LDAC is enabled…

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #2,754 of 2,999
My wf1000xm4 is also effected by the battery drain issues (right earbud always died first), mine comes with 1.4.2 and it's 14 months old.

Last night I tried to playing with them with their headphone connect, first thing I do is swap the touch sensor settings, now the left earbud is for playback control while the right one is for ambient sound control, then I played with the voice assistant, at first I don't use the voice assistant then I turn it on (with Google assistant) and the buds would reconnect to my phone then I turn off the voice assistant once more it would reconnect the buds to my phone for the second time and now the battery on the right earbud would be less 10% than the left, it usually 80% difference on both buds, but overall the battery isn't as great as they used too with LDAC (highest setting) + ANC.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #2,755 of 2,999
I have also been having abnormal battery drain and excessive heat with the right earbud for the last month or two. My earbuds were ordered in Sep. 2021, so they're out of warranty. I chatted with Sony US Support about it yesterday and today, and they were very helpful. They're sending a free, new replacement and provided a prepaid return shipping label for the old unit.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #2,757 of 2,999
I wish sony would fix their terrible control system for ANC/Transparency

you can only cycle through all three with a single control as far as I can see still. No way to customize a control to tap to Transparency while pausing the music like other buds. That is simple stuff.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,758 of 2,999
I wish sony would fix their terrible control system for ANC/Transparency

you can only cycle through all three with a single control as far as I can see still. No way to customize a control to tap to Transparency while pausing the music like other buds. That is simple stuff.
You just press and hold the left bud and transparency is activated until you let go again

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,759 of 2,999
You just press and hold the left bud and transparency is activated until you let go again

You have to hold it down otherwise transparency turns off?

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,760 of 2,999
You have to hold it down otherwise transparency turns off?
Transparency is active while you hold it. Otherwise you cycle as you described to have it on permanently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back