Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #2,431 of 2,999
I have noticed that the noise cancelling works excellently with the bass frequencies, and also it can cancel some higher frequencies , which I'd say is above around 7khz or so... I live next to a busy street , and I have configured the left earbud to toggle between 'Off' and 'Noise Cancelling' so that I can make a direct comparison with the ANC on and off....
Not only does it completely remove the low frequency rumbles (such as from car engines) , but it also cuts out the high frequency ambient 'white noise' (like from tyre noise on the road)

but it seems to be letting the mid-frequences through with almost no attenuation... things like the whine of a fan or other people's voices, the noise cancelling seems extremely ineffective at these frequencies
Has anyone else noticed this as well?
This typical of electronic noise cancellation devices whereas physical attenuation is just the opposite, blocking mids and highs much more effectively than low frequencies.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,433 of 2,999
I have noticed that the noise cancelling works excellently with the bass frequencies, and also it can cancel some higher frequencies , which I'd say is above around 7khz or so... I live next to a busy street , and I have configured the left earbud to toggle between 'Off' and 'Noise Cancelling' so that I can make a direct comparison with the ANC on and off....
Not only does it completely remove the low frequency rumbles (such as from car engines) , but it also cuts out the high frequency ambient 'white noise' (like from tyre noise on the road)

but it seems to be letting the mid-frequences through with almost no attenuation... things like the whine of a fan or other people's voices, the noise cancelling seems extremely ineffective at these frequencies
Has anyone else noticed this as well?
Yes that is how anc works while passive isolation essentially works the opposite way. Anc was originally developed to get rid of plane enginee rumble for pilots and is most effective at removing constant droning sounds rather than quickly changing sounds like vocals

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #2,434 of 2,999
Have been using the Sedna Earfitlight but just got the new Max (TWS) delivered.

So far slightly more comfortable fit. Sound pretty much the same, maybe a tad more clear.

Light on the Left and Max on the Right
PXL_20220723_023228882.jpg

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,435 of 2,999
For the last two weeks or so the left earbud has had battery life issues, and now can't even last a 40 minute commute. It's about three weeks out of warranty.

Does anyone have any videos on how to tear it down for a battery replacement? I've seen pictures of the insides and it looks like a super simple repair once the earbud is open, but there is no obvious way to open it, and I also am wondering if the rubber gasket needs to be replaced as well.

EDIT: Two weeks out of warranty, just got off the phone to Sony, they will not repair it. Guess this is the last TWS earbud I buy from them. $300 earbuds that on
My right earpiece is suffering from the same issue as well, powering down after about 40 mins whilst the left earpiece was showing 85%. The set is over a year old and presumably out of warranty. My 3 year old Cambridge Audio Melomania batteries still provide > 5 hrs of use.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #2,436 of 2,999
What tips do folks use on their XM4? I was curious if there is a consensus? I realized this is subjective but thought maybe there was a consensus after all of the time these have been on the market. Looking to maintain sound quality and at least provide a great seal.
Spinfit 360 most of the time for best sound - for very best ANC: Comply foam

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,438 of 2,999
If only there was an indicator for connection quality and the codec used... it would be useful to find out if there is too much interference and help us find the best conditions for the connection between the phone and the earbuds, thereby maximizing transmitted audio quality

for instance, I am suspecting that my computer's wifi antenna is causing interference between my phone and earbuds, but the only way I can know is by listening for degradation in the audio quality

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,439 of 2,999
I need headphones for gym workout, are these good or anyone can guide me to other options?
I would probably go with the new smaller Linkbuds S for this use though the XM4 will giver more bass impact if that is important

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,440 of 2,999
I need headphones for gym workout, are these good or anyone can guide me to other options?
I used them when I was going to the gym, mainly elliptical/treadmill...wasn't doing lifting but I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #2,441 of 2,999
Yes that is how anc works while passive isolation essentially works the opposite way. Anc was originally developed to get rid of plane enginee rumble for pilots and is most effective at removing constant droning sounds rather than quickly changing sounds like vocals
It would be nice if the noise cancelling can work on the frequencies which it currently misses... I can hear higher frequencies being cancelled in addition to the low frequencies, so why not these mid frequencies as well? For example I was on a bus where the engine has high pitched whine (look for videos of engine superchargers) , ordinarily this blends into the overall engine noise, but with the noise cancelling from my XM4 , it gets singled out and is far more agitating

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #2,442 of 2,999
It would be nice if the noise cancelling can work on the frequencies which it currently misses... I can hear higher frequencies being cancelled in addition to the low frequencies, so why not these mid frequencies as well? For example I was on a bus where the engine has high pitched whine (look for videos of engine superchargers) , ordinarily this blends into the overall engine noise, but with the noise cancelling from my XM4 , it gets singled out and is far more agitating
Anc is constantly evolving so it may happen one day. The problem is to strike a balance where you don’t end up removing parts of the actual music signal in order to remove external noise

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,443 of 2,999
These are great for that purpose. I use these while lifting on an almost daily basis and love them.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,444 of 2,999
I now use these whenever I'm away from my desk and have music going. I was fairly anti-TWS for a while but the convenience really can't be beat. I preferred these over the Samsung Buds Pro for music/working out. The fit is so much better as the Buds Pro would keep falling out during workouts.

The mic isn't the best, so for calls I still prefer to use the Buds+

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #2,445 of 2,999
I have been using xm4 for a while and still can't secure them inside my ears, they just keep dropping out if I moved.

I searched this thread and did not seem to find any related discussion. Search online for something like ear hook, or wing tip, reviews are mostly horrible.

Anyone has good experience to find any accessory to help xm4 stay put?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back