Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,251 of 2,999
Well, I got these and am returning them. Just too uncomfortable for more than an hour of wear, cartilage on my ears get really sore. Sound good otherwise though.

Will give the Buds Pro a shot, or maybe wait for the Momentum True Wireless 3 (after seeing reviews).

Happened to me as well the first two times.

I realized I have to twist them a bit in a forward direction (basically counter-clockwise), and not just rest them wholly in the ear. They sit perfectly fine, they never fell out of my ears, and there's no more soreness or pain.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,252 of 2,999
Did the update for my Pixel 6P the other day. First time using these since update today and LDAC connection was perfect

Interesting. Just got out of the beta to get this latest stable release last night. I'll switch my XM4 back to LDAC and see how it goes. AAC has been working perfect the last week, but I think LDAC sounds better.

So far battery life on the P6P seems worse than before though.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,253 of 2,999
Happened to me as well the first two times.

I realized I have to twist them a bit in a forward direction (basically counter-clockwise), and not just rest them wholly in the ear. They sit perfectly fine, they never fell out of my ears, and there's no more soreness or pain.

Right, but then they really stick out even more. I'll consider it for another day, but will probably end up returning them. They're just huge either way I guess :)

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,254 of 2,999
Before you return them, you might want to try different tips. I purchased new tips from Amazon by COMPLY. They are made from memory foam and have 3 sizes to choose from. I was very dissatisfied with the fit when I first tried the buds and once I switched to the foam ones, it was a world of difference.
Right, it's not the tips that are giving me issues, as I actually already put on other tips (silicone, as I overall don't like foam tips). It's the way the whole thing rests on my ear's cartilage, gets really sore. And one suggestion is to twist it forward a bit, but then they stick out even more.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #2,255 of 2,999
Right, but then they really stick out even more. I'll consider it for another day, but will probably end up returning them. They're just huge either way I guess :)

I thought that too but it really looks fine when I check it in the mirror - and also, they don't feel like they have a bigger chance of falling out of the ear.

The tips are still inserted as deep as when not twisting them forward a bit.

In my experience the only thing is that they don't make my ear hurt anymore, no disadvantages.

I just love their sound, and I didn't want to part with them, so I experimented regarding how should they sit so they're comfortable. Now I can wear them several hours a day with no issue.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #2,256 of 2,999
I thought that too but it really looks fine when I check it in the mirror - and also, they don't feel like they have a bigger chance of falling out of the ear.

The tips are still inserted as deep as when not twisting them forward a bit.

In my experience the only thing is that they don't make my ear hurt anymore, no disadvantages.

I just love their sound, and I didn't want to part with them, so I experimented regarding how should they sit so they're comfortable. Now I can wear them several hours a day with no issue.
I'll try to wear them for an hour or two tomorrow, see if that works.

I also like the sound, but especially the battery life.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #2,257 of 2,999
Did the update for my Pixel 6P the other day. First time using these since update today and LDAC connection was perfect

Well I'll be damned. I put these on LDAC after I saw your post and I've purposely taken them in and out of the case numerous times to connect, always perfect. Also when I used to use voice assistant to type something, often it would disconnect a bud. I tested that too many times, no problems. And it happened often! I think it might be fixed!

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #2,258 of 2,999
Interesting. Just got out of the beta to get this latest stable release last night. I'll switch my XM4 back to LDAC and see how it goes. AAC has been working perfect the last week, but I think LDAC sounds better.

So far battery life on the P6P seems worse than before though.
Spoke too soon. Left ear no audio til I placed in case for 1 sec to reset. Annoyance more than anything

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #2,259 of 2,999
Before you return them, you might want to try different tips. I purchased new tips from Amazon by COMPLY. They are made from memory foam and have 3 sizes to choose from. I was very dissatisfied with the fit when I first tried the buds and once I switched to the foam ones, it was a world of difference.
I'll second this. I hate foam tips myself. I ordered spinfits and have had no fitment issues since :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #2,262 of 2,999
Firmware 1.4.2 just released. Am in process of updating now, hopefully Left bud (no sound) issue is fixed.
Jep, was also just about to post it here :)

It says improved music playback and call quality as well as "other" improved features.

Attachments

• AD572364-B0BD-43E3-9C9E-ABDCA25F1667.jpeg
    AD572364-B0BD-43E3-9C9E-ABDCA25F1667.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #2,263 of 2,999
new update today

Firmware Update to Version 1.4.2​

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Improves the stability of music playback
  • Improves call voice quality
  • Improves general performance

Previous Benefits and Improvements​

View previous benefits and improvements

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Improves the stability of Bluetooth connection and music playback
  • Enhances other functions to improve general performance
  • Improves Bluetooth connection stability
  • Fixes an issue where the Noise Canceling function or Ambient Sound Mode is momentarily interrupted
  • Improves other functions

still have my set but might try this one more time to see if it fixes the problem. does previous benefits mean the last firmware update or added to this update as well as i cannot remember fixes for the last version as this version seems a big jump up in version number

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #2,264 of 2,999
I did the update.

Had the buds connected to my Samsung S10e. I then connected them to a Sony NW-A45 player without disconnecting from the S10e first, and there was no sound in the left bud. Touching it to enable/disable NC (as I set it) made it work.

This didn't happen with the XM3, but it's not that much of a big deal for now.

new update today

Firmware Update to Version 1.4.2​

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Improves the stability of music playback
  • Improves call voice quality
  • Improves general performance

Previous Benefits and Improvements​

View previous benefits and improvements

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Improves the stability of Bluetooth connection and music playback
  • Enhances other functions to improve general performance
  • Improves Bluetooth connection stability
  • Fixes an issue where the Noise Canceling function or Ambient Sound Mode is momentarily interrupted
  • Improves other functions

still have my set but might try this one more time to see if it fixes the problem. does previous benefits mean the last firmware update or added to this update as well as i cannot remember fixes for the last version as this version seems a big jump up in version number

Those are improvements from previous updates, which are included in this latest one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back