Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,516 of 2,999
Hi guys I have been using Airpod Pro much more than I should (with several pairs of 1K+ or even 2K+ wired earbuds sitting silently in the drawer). Is there any final word for XM4 vs PI7? I am listening wirelessly so much, I may as well get a better pair.

Having the EQ, PI7, and XM4, I'm keeping the xm4 and sending the others back. The PI7 sounds good, but after a good bit of A/B, the PI7 sounds kinda weird in comparison. The xm4 ultimately sounds more well rounded and the anc is a thousand times better. I recommend thr Sedna asla tips for it.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #1,518 of 2,999
No one is using the stock tips? They sound great and fit perfectly.

I tried some silicon TWS shallow fit tips from Audio Technica, some Azla SendaEarfit Crystal tips and also some normal Final Audio tips, and ended up going back to the stock tips.

One thing I noticed is that despite them being a hybrid foam tip and you may be tempted to give them a good squeeze like you would with Comply tips before inserting - DON'T. Just put them in normally, fit and comfort will be much better and the insertion depth will be just right rather than being too deep (and thus changing the sound signature to be more bass heavy), and they last longer that way too.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,520 of 2,999
I am. But I think that largely depends on the size of your ear canal and whether the supplied sizes match yours. I have a perfect fit and seal with the medium tips and I don't squeeze them because the foam isn't as compressible and they fit perfectly just gently pushing into the ear canal. These Sony tips are also more durable and easy to keep clean than most other foam alternatives.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,521 of 2,999
Although they were extremely comfortable for me (think 8+ hours in one go) the switch to the SpinFit 360 tips luckily made it a completely different earphone. But if you're perfectly happy with your current setup then you shouldn't consider swapping.

drftr

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,522 of 2,999
I'm quite impressed with these. Far better sounding than Airpods Pro and more comfortable for me. I don't listen to bluetooth IEMs that much, but it's nice to have a good pair when you need them.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,523 of 2,999
I think the Sony OEM hybrid tips are more comfortable than Comply foam tips, but I find silicone tips more comfortable than foam after about 15 minutes or so. The SpinFit CP360 is great and more durable than any foam tip or hybrid tip. I just got the SpinFit CP100+ for a different IEM; the + version has an upgraded medical silicone material, and I think they're even better than the regular ones. They may be using that material in the CP360 without changing the model number (they feel like the Sedna Crystal material).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,525 of 2,999
Hello! Have owned and used the XM4's for about a month. I can't recall what led me to this site and thread, but I'm glad I found it, as it's been a wealth of information.

I bought these after several instances of almost buying the latest Bose Quiet Comfort model during layovers, then deciding that I should really do research before such a big (for me) purchase. Most current reviews seemed to agree that the Sony XM4 IEMs were "the best", and I liked the features plus the promise of good sound, so went with them. Looking back, the description of the sound in a lot of those reviews was fanciful, bordering on ridiculous. (Which is maybe par for the course? This is the first audio investment I've made in quite a while.) You all seem to have nailed a more accurate description of the sound.

But I do like the sound. I would sum it up as rich but polite. It does not seem too dark to my ears. As others have pointed out, it is a sound I can listen to for hours without fatigue. In fact, I wonder if the rolled-off high frequency signature is a deliberate way to make sure that in noisy environments, listeners' eardrums don't get tired or damaged. For me, pre-pandemic when I used to fly somewhat frequently, I'd find myself cranking the volume up almost to max on my iPhone with non-noise-cancelling earbuds and ending up hearing almost nothing but piercing highs.

Having said that, this thread has opened up possibilities of experimenting to improve on the sound, at least at times when noise cancelling won't be of paramount importance. I now have some Spiral Dot tips on the way and will try others recommended here -- likely Spin Fit CP 360, ePro EP01, and Symbio Hybrid. Been also experimenting with the Sony app's EQ, and with the EQ on my MacBook via Music. Depending on the music, sometimes I boost the highs, but I also sometimes turn up the bass.

I find myself using these more often than I thought I would -- for instance, during a recent road trip in a nearly empty and uninsulated rental van that would have been torture otherwise. I could insulate myself (mostly, if not completely) from the rattling and grumbling and actually enjoy my music. Have also been taking calls and using them for online meetings, which I didn't really consider when shopping. The only complaint from my listeners so far was during that van drive, but I do hope that a future firmware update improves the microphone sound, if possible.

Overall I'm really happy with them, but trying to resist this rabbit hole of even better sound. (I did not know that Walkmans were still a thing in 2021 and am intrigued!)

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,526 of 2,999
Used on/off on the plane rides to/from Mexico and they performed solid. A few random cut outs but otherwise playback was solid and with the ANC on and volume maybe 60-75% it was perfect.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,527 of 2,999
Want to test the ANC? Try mowing your lawn with a gas or electric mower, see how much engine or electric motor noise is reduced. I have a gas engine mower and it makes a big difference. I can still hear the engine, but it's really reduced. Another test is standing next to your outdoor AC unit, for me it's almost dead silent, add a little music and it's like the AC unit isn't even there.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,528 of 2,999
Overall I'm really happy with them, but trying to resist this rabbit hole of even better sound. (I did not know that Walkmans were still a thing in 2021 and am intrigued!)

Leave now while you still can...

Joking - but sort of serious if you want to protect your wallet! I found Head-Fi around November last year as I was researching a Sony DAP/Walkman. Fast forward a year and I've been down a seriously deep and expensive rabbit hole! The quest for 'better' sound is fun, engaging, addictive and expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back