Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,412 of 2,999
Just finished my durability test on using AAC, average volume 60%, and normal mode (so no ANC or anything), no EQ, no call functions:

13.5 hours, with the right channel at 0 but left still at 27. Quite the difference. Phone at 68, which seems pretty decent for using Bluetooth for 13.5 hours?

drftr

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,413 of 2,999
Just finished my durability test on using AAC, average volume 60%, and normal mode (so no ANC or anything), no EQ, no call functions:

13.5 hours, with the right channel at 0 but left still at 27. Quite the difference. Phone at 68, which seems pretty decent for using Bluetooth for 13.5 hours?

drftr
I might give that a try during the weekend. Based on percentages for trips lasting 2-5 hours I should get over 10 hours with aac, anc and eq

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,414 of 2,999
I might give that a try during the weekend. Based on percentages for trips lasting 2-5 hours I should get over 10 hours with aac, anc and eq
10 hours would be pretty impressive I think as it's 25% more than Sony promises. Do you know what Bluetooth version you're using? I know v5.2 is designed to be far more efficient for battery life. My phone uses v5.0. Not sure what the influence of the music app is, if any. I'm using PowerAmp and while playing I had the Sony Headphones app open all the time to read the percentages. I'm just realizing writing this that Bluetooth has been used all those hours to inform the app about any change in levels, so I have probably calculated the bottom number and it would be slightly better with the Sony app off to avoid useless syncing.

drftr

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,415 of 2,999
10 hours would be pretty impressive I think as it's 25% more than Sony promises. Do you know what Bluetooth version you're using? I know v5.2 is designed to be far more efficient for battery life. My phone uses v5.0. Not sure what the influence of the music app is, if any. I'm using PowerAmp and while playing I had the Sony Headphones app open all the time to read the percentages. I'm just realizing writing this that Bluetooth has been used all those hours to inform the app about any change in levels, so I have probably calculated the bottom number and it would be slightly better with the Sony app off to avoid useless syncing.

drftr
I have no idea, it’s an iPhone 11 Pro. After my usual 2 1/2 hour trips I’ve got about 80% left on the battery and after a 5 1/2 hour trip I still had a little over 50% left. I’m at 40-50% volume with anc and eq but no dsee

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,416 of 2,999
When pairing with your phone do you only have to switch on Bluetooth and that's it? Or do you need to select them first? I have to do the latter but don't know if there's a way they would do this automatically if there's no other Bluetooth devices within reach.

drftr
When I take the XM4s out of the case they pair with either my phone or MacBook automatically, whichever they 'see' first.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,417 of 2,999
When I take the XM4s out of the case they pair with either my phone or MacBook automatically, whichever they 'see' first.
Hmm... In the Sony app I have "Power off when headphones are taken off" set. Maybe they don't automatically reconnect because of that. Will try again tonight or look for yet another phone fail thread on the web.

drftr

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,418 of 2,999
But which tip best meets in the middle?
Creating a combination worked for me. I bought a 2 pack of Symbio W tips on Amazon, and I took the foam off the stem and placed it around the stem of Spiral dots or whatever other silicone tip I want to use.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,420 of 2,999
I read that earlier on but forgot to ask why you did it. Is it because of SQ, fit, or otherwise?

drftr
To get silicone sound/comfort and foam isolation

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,421 of 2,999
When pairing with your phone do you only have to switch on Bluetooth and that's it? Or do you need to select them first? I have to do the latter but don't know if there's a way they would do this automatically if there's no other Bluetooth devices within reach.

drftr
I keep my Bluetooth pretty much on all the time so it's as simple as taking them out of the case and putting them in my ears and they automatically connect. If I switch on my laptop after that they switch to it or if both devices are on, they seem to connect to whichever is playing any media. Usually to reconnect them to my phone i just have to open the app and tap on connect, they pretty much switch instantaneously.

Something of note, if you have the automatic power off feature on then they won't connect until you put them in your ears, because they use the IR sensor to check if you're wearing them. They also don't respond to touch controls when not worn.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,423 of 2,999
I keep my Bluetooth pretty much on all the time so it's as simple as taking them out of the case and putting them in my ears and they automatically connect. If I switch on my laptop after that they switch to it or if both devices are on, they seem to connect to whichever is playing any media. Usually to reconnect them to my phone i just have to open the app and tap on connect, they pretty much switch instantaneously.

Something of note, if you have the automatic power off feature on then they won't connect until you put them in your ears, because they use the IR sensor to check if you're wearing them. They also don't respond to touch controls when not worn.
I found a Fast Pair option on Android with which I can control which devices to trust and connect automatically :)

drftr

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,424 of 2,999
So I ordered a variety of silicone tips to try to get some more clarity out of the XM4: Final E (true wireless version), Spiral Dot++, Symbio W Peel, and Spinfit CP360. A conclusion I did not expect is that the Symbio is the best hands down out of the bunch. And it's the cheapest out of the bunch, who knew. I wasn't even going to get it because the Symbio Hybrids I've tried before were such crap.

20210826_210548 (2).jpg

The biggest disappointment was the Spiral Dot++. It was the most expensive and the most ill-fitting (hard to get a seal with one of my ears). Doesn't isolate well at all. But it does sound good at least.

The Final E True Wireless tips are a bit odd. They're stubbier, and larger bore than the standard Final E's. But they're so short that the XM4's nozzle opening is almost flush with the tip opening. Not much silicone material there. Sounds decent, but isolation of course takes a big hit.

The Spinfit CP360 is okay. I never been a fan of Spinfit because of the poor isolation. Such is the case here. But it's a comfortable fit and clearer sound than Sony's stock foam tips for sure.

The Symbio's are the winner because they're a thicker silicone than the Spinfit's, and go deeper (longer tip). So isolation is much better than the Spinfit. The isolation is just a hair behind Sony's foam tips, which means a winner to me. The bass is a bit strong with these tips for me, but the treble isn't affected. It's a clearer sound than the stock foam tips, just not quite as much as these other tips.

The Symbio's have the best balance of everything IMO: isolation, fit, and sound. Oh, and the orange lining inside the tips matches the XM4's aesthetics naturally to my eyes :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,425 of 2,999
So I ordered a variety of silicone tips to try to get some more clarity out of the XM4: Final E (true wireless version), Spiral Dot++, Symbio W Peel, and Spinfit CP360. A conclusion I did not expect is that the Symbio is the best hands down out of the bunch. And it's the cheapest out of the bunch, who knew. I wasn't even going to get it because the Symbio Hybrids I've tried before were such crap.

20210826_210548 (2).jpg

The biggest disappointment was the Spiral Dot++. It was the most expensive and the most ill-fitting (hard to get a seal with one of my ears). Doesn't isolate well at all. But it does sound good at least.

The Final E True Wireless tips are a bit odd. They're stubbier, and larger bore than the standard Final E's. But they're so short that the XM4's nozzle opening is almost flush with the tip opening. Not much silicone material there. Sounds decent, but isolation of course takes a big hit.

The Spinfit CP360 is okay. I never been a fan of Spinfit because of the poor isolation. Such is the case here. But it's a comfortable fit and clearer sound than Sony's stock foam tips for sure.

The Symbio's are the winner because they're a thicker silicone than the Spinfit's, and go deeper (longer tip). So isolation is much better than the Spinfit. The isolation is just a hair behind Sony's foam tips, which means a winner to me. The bass is a bit strong with these tips for me, but the treble isn't affected. It's a clearer sound than the stock foam tips, just not quite as much as these other tips.

The Symbio's have the best balance of everything IMO: isolation, fit, and sound. Oh, and the orange lining inside the tips matches the XM4's aesthetics naturally to my eyes :)
I liked Symbio tips, but got very uncomfortable after a couple hours, which is why I mated them with the Spiral dots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back