Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,383 of 2,999
I haven't worn mine long enough in one session to really test battery life, but I don't think I'll ever drain them to 0% on a single use. Longest I've worn them is probably 3 hours.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,385 of 2,999
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,387 of 2,999
Ended up buying some Comply TrueGrip Pro foam tips.
I just value the isolation waaaay too much and I can always eq the sound to my taste.

The comply seem to be quite a bit better than the stock and they seem to mantain the same sound, just hope these last longer than the stock ones.

Just want to leave a warning, the sony stock tips are one size smaller than usual, so the large Sony tips correspond to medium Comply tips.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,388 of 2,999
Had these for a few months. Also own the galaxy buds pro, and Noble Falcon Pro. I use these with epro ep01 tips, with Symbio foam around the stem. As far as sound quality is concerned, the Noble falcon pro is more detailed, so ultimately more dynamic. The combo of dynamic and balanced driver adds to this. It is a nice tuning. The xm4 doesn't reach the same level of treble detail, though the sub bass/mid bass is more visceral in comparison. Though the Falcon Pro is more detailed it is also the more clinical. It's nice to hear more details in the music, but the xm4 without a doubt is more emotional. Listening to the Sony I simply FEEL the music more. Sony tuning be it headphones, iem, tws or their DAPs, are tuned for a more musical signature that just feels more emotional, as opposed to clinical and thoroughly detailed. Haven't tried the pi7, but for me the xm4 is definitely my favorite TWS so far, even if I don't get to hear every single detail in the picture. Android device LDAC.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,389 of 2,999
Mine has started acting up. I get the overlay popup on Android all the time while watching video on my OnePlus 9 pro. And they have started randomly connecting to the phone when in their case in my pocket og backpack.

The last issue is the worst since this happens during calls.

Any way around this?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,390 of 2,999
Got the survey last night and was surprised there was only 1 (one) question out of 20 regarding sound quality. Guess that shows where there priorities are nowadays. Guess I should have known better.

Have to agree with @Devodonaldson about overall Sony musicality. Rhythmically they have everything in order for over 30 years now, often even comparable with high end gear. I do share the same lack of detail feeling as well and yesterday actually struggled a bit with following the wording of some albums. Much harder to actually hear what they're singing. From reading the other comments this will most likely improve with other tips. It's just that you can never get back what's not there originally. Hope they do a follow-up survey on sound quality.

drftr

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,391 of 2,999
Mine has started acting up. I get the overlay popup on Android all the time while watching video on my OnePlus 9 pro. And they have started randomly connecting to the phone when in their case in my pocket og backpack.

Any way around this?
Have you tried factory resetting them and/or Initializing?

To initialise, which would wipe all the pairing data and set up defaults on EQ, you put them in the case and press and hold both touch sensors for 10 seconds, then let go when they start flashing red. They should blink green when ready.

To factory reset, plug them in with a type c charger and with the headphones inside the case, close and open the lid 5 times rapidly. They'll blink in red and then in green when ready.

I would also try to unpair them from my phone and pair again before.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,392 of 2,999
Sony tuning be it headphones, iem, tws or their DAPs, are tuned for a more musical signature that just feels more emotional, as opposed to clinical and thoroughly detailed.

100% and since I'm not an audiophile and don't listen to music critically -- I really do appreciate the Sony tuning. The 1000X series really brought me back to feeling joy again, to emotionally connect to a lot of albums and songs that I didn't before.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #1,393 of 2,999
Have been using these for some time now, so honeymoon period and burn in period are over and I can give my final impression. I'm using these with the original Sony hybrid silicone (EP-EX11) tips and EQ off. These buds are very organic and natural sounding. When I switch to more analytical or brighter buds, their highs seem artificial in comparison. The wfxm4 do not sound muddy or veiled, highs come through in a natural manner without being over emphasized. Mids come through as extremely natural and believable. Bass doesn't have slam but is well controlled, I just wished it has a little more sub bass. Soundstage is very good, where other buds are mostly left/right, the wfxm4 has a "surround" soundstage around the head even with the 360 audio off.

Overall, the wfxm4 may not be the best in any single area, but it does all of the areas extremely well and is my top pick for tws earbuds out of all that I have so far.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,394 of 2,999

Any way around this?
Are you using the original tips or third party tips? I ask just because if the tips are too large the earphones might not be making a solid contact in the case to the charging contacts and the earphones may then behave as though they have been taken out of the case. This has happened to me on a few IEMs.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,395 of 2,999
Today i got my Final Audio Type E ear tips, many people wrote they are awesome.
Gonna try them against AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal and SpinFit CP100 ear tips.

Any opinions about the pairing of the XM4 with the Type E?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back