Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,999

gLer

No DD, no DICE
Welcome Head-Fiers!

So, Sony dropped its new flagship Active Noise Cancelling True Wireless IEM yesterday, the WF-1000XM4, and since it's also going to be my very first TWS IEM, I figured I'd kick off the official impressions thread on Head-Fi. You can get all the details about the WF-1000XM4 from Sony's official website here, and in case you missed it, the 'leaked-but-now-official' launch video is a great way to quickly get familiar with all the new features of the 4th generation 1000X series IEM.

I should be getting my pair sometime next week, but in the meanwhile, feel free to drop in and leave your own impressions. It would be great to read comparisons between the WF-1000XM4 and the previous generation 1000XM3, and also with popular models from Sennheiser, Samsung, Apple, Jabra, B&W and Bose, among others. This will hopefully turn out to be a safe space to share your expectations, pleasant surprises, and not-so-pleasant issues with the XM4, so please be respectful of the Head-Fi Posting Guidelines and always err on the side of kindness.

Let's get this party started!

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 2,999
Just got my pair in. So far so good. Trying to get them to use LDAC with my Walkman.

DgVINUa.jpeg

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 2,999
Wow - finally the holy grail for TW LDAC

Shame I am selling my Sony NWZ 507 DAP

I would need to get Snugs to make a custom earpiece (as ALL earbuds & iems fall out of my ears)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 2,999
Wow - finally the holy grail for TW LDAC
Yep, that's the main reason I bought it. That, the seemingly improved ergonomics (XM3 was a terrible fit for me) and what I expect to be best-in-class ANC in a TWS IEM. But LDAC is the tipping point, in my opinion. I'm primarily a wired IEM/lossless Flac user, so if I'm going to use a wireless IEM for music listening, SBC and AAC BT just don't cut it. Let's hope the wait was worth it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 2,999
Just got mine. I like the discreet environmentally friendly packaging. The case is nice and small. These things paired up real nice and fast. The medium tips that come attached seem to fit perfectly and for my ears, the fit is as nice as with the MTW2. They don't stick out far at all and look sleek inside my ear. Everyone's ear is different. I was worried about the fit but some of the awkward looking photos in the main True Wireless bud thread do not look like how they look in my ears.

The problem I am having is getting the Sony Headphone app to recognize these buds. I am running the Android 12 beta which is the only thing I can think is the problem. Anyone else running the Android 12 beta with any Sony wireless buds?

edit NM: I installed the Sony app yesterday and apparently there was an update today that my phone didn't automatically install yet. I did and now it sees them.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 2,999
I got mine a few hours ago and have been listening to it. It sounds much better than M3, almost no EQ required.
The first thing I did is to change t"Bluetooth Connection Quality" to "Priority to Sound Quality". Speak-to-Chat, Right Ear Volume Control, DSEE EXTREME. Clear Bass +1, 16K +3 and that's it. It sounds wonderful. Inline with IER-Z1R sound signature. The Bass is the most surprising change from M3, it now slams harder. The mids are very detail and life like. I have been listening to Taylor Swift - Fearless album from Amazon Music and it is very enjoyable, all spectrum are smooth and life like. I am using LDAC codec, don't know about SBC or AAC but if you are going to purchase this expensive TWS, why settle for less codec? The sound quality is way better than M3, I would 100% recommend upgrade from it.
The tips are very soft and it gives you a warm feeling. They are foam tips, extremely comfortable. Usually I use large tips but the stock mid tips works perfect. The test of sealing is fun and accurate. Speak-to-Chat works very responsive, whenever I say a word, it stops playing music immediately. The case is about the size of CX400TW1, a bit shorter but a bit wider.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 2,999
Last I heard, when you engage the headphone eq the LDAC lowers to lowest quality audio. Perhaps check if that's still the case?

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 2,999
The XM4’s have been really excellent for me in the five hours I’ve been listening to them- better in every way than the (pretty good) XM3’s. DSEE on, AAC codec (Apple phone) and 82% power in the left and 81% in the right after the first three hours, so it seems to me the advertised battery life should be reasonably accurate. Case is much better in terms of size.

impressed with the environmentally conscious packaging. The seal test seems to be a direct knockoff of the Apple AirPods Pro test, but is a welcome item anyway.

ANC is so much better than Apple APP there is no serious comparison. Haven’t figured out how to initiate a Siri request with the phone located in the next room, but other than that, it blows the Apple Pros away.

A more in depth discussion after I have had a few days with them.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 2,999
Last I heard, when you engage the headphone eq the LDAC lowers to lowest quality audio. Perhaps check if that's still the case?
I can say I observed this - I am listening in LDAC (not sure if that has anything to do with it) and I went to check my EQ settings which I thought was off. Turns out it was on manual but with zero adjustments. Turning the EQ to off totally opened up the sound though and boosted the volume. I kind of remember experiencing this before with one different set of buds and their EQ, but I can't recall.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 2,999
Yeah, that was the case but on M4 I can use EQ and LDAC at the same time. I just checked Bluetooth Audio Codec from Developer options and it shows Streaming: LDAC and my DESEE Extreme and EQ are all on. I am listening from Hiby R6 2020.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 2,999
Yeah, that was the case but on M4 I can use EQ and LDAC at the same time. I just checked Bluetooth Audio Codec from Developer options and it shows Streaming: LDAC and my DESEE Extreme and EQ are all on. I am listening from Hiby R6 2020.
I'm a little confused, why would you use DSEE Extreme if you are using LDAC? Isn't DSEE only to help boost the sound of compressed music? If using LDAC wouldn't you at least be listening to 320kbps MP3 or better files where this might not be a benefit and just adding another layer of sound processing?

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 2,999
I'm a little confused, why would you use DSEE Extreme if you are using LDAC? Isn't DSEE only to help boost the sound of compressed music? If using LDAC wouldn't you at least be listening to 320kbps MP3 or better files where this might not be a benefit and just adding another layer of sound processing?
I did not thought of that, just turned it Auto and play. I thought it will decide when to use it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 2,999
I am listening to Amazon Music HD, 192Khz an average bitrate of 3730 kbps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back